No announcement yet.

Prairie Dog Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also have a 17 Mach IV Encore Bull Barrel for sale in the clasifieds. Has the walnut fore end, bullets and brass to go with it.

Comment

338 lapua and a nightforce 7-35 ATACR will get the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
        Hell why not bring out the .50BMG. They might be wearing kevlar on the other side of the rock that is behind the old trick engine.

LOL

Comment

.204 no question about it

Bucks wind better than any round ive shot, and has MUCH longer barrel life than other .20 calls

Comment

Take multiple guns and any gun is OK, but remember your shoulder will thank you if you stay away for higher recoil guns. For me..

22LR
            17HMR
            17WSM suppressed
            22-250 suppressed
            308 suppressed

It is as much about shooting practice as killing pdogs for me. Don't shoot a hot barrel, and keep them clean. Unless you are carrying 3-5K rounds for one centerfire and shooting a HOT BARREL you aren't going to shot out a barrel.

Comment

As range gets further:

.17 HMR
              .221 Fireball
              .223 Remington
              .22-250 Remington
              .243 Winchester

Comment

lol

Comment

I still have this one for sale and Scorpion King just posted a Tikka yesterday. He is a good guy to deal with.

Comment

From what I'm told a .50bmg doesn't do what you'd think it would do to a prairie dog. But then again a prairie dog hit with a 50 grain v-max out of a 22-250 doesn't look all that different from one hit with a 58 grain v-max out of a .243. Winchester white box 45 grain JHP's will sure splatter them too. The thing I like about the smaller calibers is you can see them spinning through the air throwing body parts everywhere. I always try to get multiple pd's with one shot. It's easier when the little ones are out.

I like shooting the close ones with a pistol. That's really fun and a little more of a challenge. A shotgun is way too easy but you can clear a mound pretty quick with one.

One thing to keep in mind if you're shooting prairie dogs in the warmer months is watch where you step. Rattlesnakes are thick in prairie dog towns. I catch hundreds out of one dog town every year and it's not all that big. It's nothing to go out there in the Spring or Fall and see 30+ laying out sunning in 20 acres of dog town.
                    Last edited by okrattler; 02-12-2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                      From what I'm told a .50bmg doesn't do what you'd think it would do to a prairie dog. But then again a prairie dog hit with a 50 grain v-max out of a 22-250 doesn't look all that different from one hit with a 58 grain v-max out of a .243. Winchester white box 45 grain JHP's will sure splatter them too. The thing I like about the smaller calibers is you can see them spinning through the air throwing body parts everywhere. I always try to get multiple pd's with one shot. It's easier when the little ones are out.

I like shooting the close ones with a pistol. That's really fun and a little more of a challenge. A shotgun is way too easy but you can clear a mound pretty quick with one.

One thing to keep in mind if you're shooting prairie dogs in the warmer months is watch where you step. Rattlesnakes are thick in prairie dog towns. I catch hundreds out of one dog town every year and it's not all that big. It's nothing to go out there in the Spring or Fall and see 30+ laying out sunning in 20 acres of dog town.
                      Do a live thread with pics next time you're catching on the dog town. That'd be cool to see

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                        Do a live thread with pics next time you're catching on the dog town. That'd be cool to see

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                        Will do. It won't be long and I'm gonna start. About the 2nd week of March they're out thick. In the far end of that dog town I catch some big snakes every year. They're in every dog town but that little dog town holds a bunch of snakes for some reason or another.

What's wild is those prairie dogs will kill them snakes if they see one go down a hole. If you're ever out in a town and see a hole covered up and the dirt looks like it's been tampered down that's what's in that hole. Those prairie dogs cover the snakes up and stomp the dirt so it's packed in there so they'll starve to death.

They'll also drag a dead snake out if you shoot one and it falls down the hole. They're pretty smart little animals really.
                        Last edited by okrattler; 02-12-2018, 01:36 PM.

Comment

This thread really makes me want to try and go on a prairie dog hunt sometime. Sounds like a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                            From what I'm told a .50bmg doesn't do what you'd think it would do to a prairie dog.
                            I've seen some videos of 50bmg hitting prairie dogs. It did what I expected it to. Maybe most rounds do that, I've never been. I'd like to go sometime though. I have a .22-250 that was supposedly built for it.

Comment

You will see people shooting prairie dogs with anything from a .22 to an unlimited Class Bench rifle, to a .50 BMG. I always just use my .223's. I take a couple of guns with me to let the barrels cool down.

Typically your first few shots won't be very far...but the longer you shoot, the farther they become. The times that we went, it was nothing to just barely see a head in the bottom corner of your scope when you pulled the trigger. It's a blast.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Hillbilly Rockstar; 02-12-2018, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I plan to use the 22 Nosler I picked up in the classifieds when we go.

Comment

Working...
                                X