help me disconnect from cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
    Revisiting this today, and there are a lot of replies.

Can anyone sum it up for me?

What device and service for basic cable channel lineup, plus sports for local teams?

This is what we ended up with........
    DirectTV Now with a Roku
    An over the air antenna with a good booster. We now have all the channels we ever watched and locals for the news and football.
    Couple of things I learned antennaweb.org will tell you what channels you can receive at your physical address. This was big help to me because we tried 3 different indoor antennas and could not pick up the one local news channel we wanted. I learned that I had to raise the antenna to 30 feet to receive it. I know 30 feet sounds really high but, if think about the height of your house and go to the highest peak I bet you can get close with a small antenna pole. The other thing we struggled with was the NO DVR part of the directtv. We don’t often watch shows when they are being broadcast, we have teenagers and life happens, so with that, on the Roku you can download APPs from all the major networks and stream the broadcast shows typically within a few days of the broadcast. The other thing we were concerned with was the internet speed being to slow. The directtv is designed to be run on cellphone speed internet. We have had very few issues we could blame on internet speed. All in All we have been very pleased and our DirectTV bill went from 135.00 a month to 35.00. That’s 1,200 a year in savings. We have had DirectTV Now for 3 months and unless something drastically changes we won’t be going back.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been paying for Dish Network (and Direct TV before that) for most of my adult life, and as much as I've always hated paying the bill, I've just always figured that satellite (or cable) was a necessary evil.

I made a trip to the ranch in October, and decided after I got there that I wanted to be able to watch the Astros win the World Series. I decided the best option for that was to make a quick trip to Laredo and I purchased an Apple TV from Best Buy so I could mirror the game from my phone (they only had the 4k in stock, so I overpaid, but it was worth it! )

A few weeks ago I made a trip to the in-laws and found out they had cut their cable by using Roku, subscribing to Sling and using an antenna for locals. I was intrigued and started to explore the options, based on our tv viewing habits.

First, I knew I had to have the four networks - ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox. Hannah almost exclusively binge watches shows on Netflix (we already pay that subscription, as well). I downloaded the apps for each on the Apple TV and found that I could watch pretty much any show from ABC, NBC and Fox for free. The only caveat is that the current week's shows aren't available until 8 days after they originally air. That wasn't a deal breaker because we record the shows and watch them after the fact, anyway. The CBS app costs $5.99 to be able to watch all their shows. The other drawback is the inability to fast forward through commercials.

I need to be able to watch shows on three TV's in the house, so I ordered both a Roku Stick and a Amazon Fire Stick for the other TV's.

Meanwhile, I ordered a $35 OTA antenna. I'm in a rural area - roughly 100 miles from Houston, Austin and SA broadcast antennas - but a bit of research found that I should be able to get Victoria locals for ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox. Two days later the antenna arrived and I did a test setup. I was able to pull between 8 and 27 channels, depending on where I pointed the antenna as well as weather and day/night considerations. But, the four main network channels that are a requirement (especially CBS) are solid! I was in business!

The next drawback was an inability to record the live shows and figuring out how to split the signal to all tv's. I could wait the 8 days for all but CBS, but I needed something simpler. I started researching OTA DVR's and found a few options. One was a device called "Tablo". Tablo receives the signal from the OTA antenna, and then links to your internet router (either via Ethernet or wirelessly) and then "broadasts" its own signal through the network. I can access it with the Tablo app on Apple TV, my iPhone, iPad, desktop (Windows 10), Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, etc., and watch on up to 6 devices at once. Through the apps, I can view an OTA channel guide, record upcoming shows (once, new shows or all shows) pretty much exactly as I did on my Dish Network box. I just set up the Tablo last night and set up all the recordings for all new episodes of the shows my wife likes to watch every week. The added bonus is my wife and kids don't have to remember how to change the tv input to switch between OTA stations and the Apple/Roku/Amazon devices (although it is easier to channel surf live by switching to antenna. Luckily there are two outputs from the antenna booster, one directly to the tv and the other to the Tablo). I think the Tablo will be well worth the $150 investment.

The only thing I typically watch, other than with my wife, is CFB on the ESPN Networks. I somewhat intentionally waited to "cut the cord" until after the Aggies were done. Rumor is that ESPN may start offering a-la-carte packages for their app. Another option is to pay $20/mo for Sling (plus another $5 for the sports package), but I'm going to hold off on that until I see how my current setup works. I'm still paying for a cable/internet/phone package for my daughter in college, and I believe I can view the network through her account with Sudden Link.

My Dish Network (and the associated $150+/month bill) was cancelled on Saturday! I already wish I had done it sooner!
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        I've been paying for Dish Network (and Direct TV before that) for most of my adult life, and as much as I've always hated paying the bill, I've just always figured that satellite (or cable) was a necessary evil.

I made a trip to the ranch in October, and decided after I got there that I wanted to be able to watch the Astros win the World Series. I decided the best option for that was to make a quick trip to Laredo and I purchased an Apple TV from Best Buy so I could mirror the game from my phone (they only had the 4k in stock, so I overpaid, but it was worth it! )

A few weeks ago I made a trip to the in-laws and found out they had cut their cable by using Roku, subscribing to Sling and using an antenna for locals. I was intrigued and started to explore the options, based on our tv viewing habits.

First, I knew I had to have the four networks - ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox. Hannah almost exclusively binge watches shows on Netflix (we already pay that subscription, as well). I downloaded the apps for each on the Apple TV and found that I could watch pretty much any show from ABC, NBC and Fox for free. The only caveat is that the current week's shows aren't available until 8 days after they originally air. That wasn't a deal breaker because we record the shows and watch them after the fact, anyway. The CBS app costs $5.99 to be able to watch all their shows. The other drawback is the inability to fast forward through commercials.

I need to be able to watch shows on three TV's in the house, so I ordered both a Roku Stick and a Amazon Fire Stick for the other TV's.

Meanwhile, I ordered a $35 OTA antenna. I'm in a rural area - roughly 100 miles from Houston, Austin and SA broadcast antennas - but a bit of research found that I should be able to get Victoria locals for ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox. Two days later the antenna arrived and I did a test setup. I was able to pull between 8 and 27 channels, depending on where I pointed the antenna as well as weather and day/night considerations. But, the four main network channels that are a requirement (especially CBS) are solid! I was in business!

The next drawback was an inability to record the live shows and figuring out how to split the signal to all tv's. I could wait the 8 days for all but CBS, but I needed something simpler. I started researching OTA DVR's and found a few options. One was a device called "Tablo". Tablo receives the signal from the OTA antenna, and then links to your internet router (either via Ethernet or wirelessly) and then "broadasts" its own signal through the network. I can access it with the Tablo app on Apple TV, my iPhone, iPad, desktop (Windows 10), Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, etc., and watch on up to 6 devices at once. Through the apps, I can view an OTA channel guide, record upcoming shows (once, new shows or all shows) pretty much exactly as I did on my Dish Network box. I just set up the Tablo last night and set up all the recordings for all new episodes of the shows my wife likes to watch every week. The added bonus is my wife and kids don't have to remember how to change the tv input to switch between OTA stations and the Apple/Roku/Amazon devices (although it is easier to channel surf live by switching to antenna. Luckily there are two outputs from the antenna booster, one directly to the tv and the other to the Tablo). I think the Tablo will be well worth the $150 investment.

The only thing I typically watch, other than with my wife, is CFB on the ESPN Networks. I somewhat intentionally waited to "cut the cord" until after the Aggies were done. Rumor is that ESPN may start offering a-la-carte packages for their app. Another option is to pay $20/mo for Sling (plus another $5 for the sports package), but I'm going to hold off on that until I see how my current setup works. I'm still paying for a cable/internet/phone package for my daughter in college, and I believe I can view the network through her account with Sudden Link.

My Dish Network (and the associated $150+/month bill) was cancelled on Saturday! I already wish I had done it sooner!
        I'm exhausted after reading your post...lol

It takes a little creativity depending on your viewing tastes but once you cut the chord it's worth it. Congrats on leaving the construct and "freeing your mind"

Comment

I just got off the phone with DTV, cancelling Sat. $100/month for 4 TV's and cheapest package. wife wanted another tv and I didn't want to increase the bill any more. soo... Netflix and DTVnow, oh and amazon prime (we've had it for years but never really watch it).

we will have to limp along until the 2.0 version comes out (they say Q1 2018) we get no locals, and can't DVR. plus only 2 streams at a time. but unlimited data since I have att cell phone. so far it's working ok. not great, but we'll see what 2.0 brings.

no hope for OTA for me. nearest station for me is CBS out of college station or Waco and that's it. so we are using the on demand feature of DTVnow and each individual networks apps. with DTV now you get ESPN with the cheap package, and SEC network is just 1 upgrade higher.

I've spent a small fortune on Roku's here lately, still need to buy 2 or 3 more.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue1 View Post
            I just got off the phone with DTV, cancelling Sat. $100/month for 4 TV's and cheapest package. wife wanted another tv and I didn't want to increase the bill any more. soo... Netflix and DTVnow, oh and amazon prime (we've had it for years but never really watch it).

we will have to limp along until the 2.0 version comes out (they say Q1 2018) we get no locals, and can't DVR. plus only 2 streams at a time. but unlimited data since I have att cell phone. so far it's working ok. not great, but we'll see what 2.0 brings.

no hope for OTA for me. nearest station for me is CBS out of college station or Waco and that's it. so we are using the on demand feature of DTVnow and each individual networks apps. with DTV now you get ESPN with the cheap package, and SEC network is just 1 upgrade higher.

I've spent a small fortune on Roku's here lately, still need to buy 2 or 3 more.
            I went the Amazon Fire TV route...$24 on sale with our antenna, Prime, Netflix and YouTube I can watch anything I want.

Michael
            Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Comment

Y'all still got cable.....to the modem. Get over it. Much easier to have your TV, internet and landline all on the same bill.

LOL.

Comment

Can you guys get ESPN for all the good bowl games

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                  Y'all still got cable.....to the modem. Get over it. Much easier to have your TV, internet and landline all on the same bill.

LOL.

I'm in the country and pay a premium ($80/month) for internet that averages around 3.5 Mb/s. That said, I don't have a landline and it's "easier" to not have a tv bill at all, especially when I'm saving $2000/yr! LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  My Flickr Photos

Comment

Exodus is super grumpy now. Still running Kodi 17.3...

Should I move to the newest Kodi and load Covenant?

Comment

Covenant is good and Neptune Rising

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
                        I'm all for this, but my crutch is football season. Suggestions?
                        You got buddies, start offering to cook and bring beer if you can watch at their house lol... that or there are more unsavoury methods through the interenet... I will not comment on them more than that any more.

We bailed on them... We have Hulu and netflix, but I'm thinking about bailing on them, we just don't watch much tv. We have been prime members forever so we I think we have that too? If we don't then I'm still logged in as my Dad haha.

ooh and i get myoutdoortv.com too. Its only 10 bucks and I use it on business travel a lot. I keep saying we are gona get an antenna for locals... but I haven't gotten around to it. I know I should with storm season coming

Overall all cutting the cable seemed hard... but when we did it, we realised we wish we had all that money and time back
                        Last edited by catslayer; 02-06-2018, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
                          Exodus is super grumpy now. Still running Kodi 17.3...

Should I move to the newest Kodi and load Covenant?
                          I pay for RealDebrid ($3/mo) and its great. Im running 17.0 or something like that with no issues. I dont update if I can help it.

Comment

Covenant and Neptune replacing Exodus?

Comment

And just like that, mine no longer works. Cant get Neptune Rising to install either

Comment

Fire stick and SET tv

Jail broke fire stick and we pay 20 a month for SET TV. If you have fast enough internet. With set tv we even get the NFL/NBA/MLB package for free! Also those PPV fights are free also.

Comment

Working...
                                X