Live hunt Matador WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aggiewes View Post
    THX for posting this. I drew GDE for Nov 6. Will PM. This thread was excellent . THX for sharing!

Wes

I sent you the info below via pm but it's not showing it went through so I will post it here for any other that are interested as well

The research I did also said more whitetail to the east but we saw plenty of both on the West side. I talked to 3 different groups and here is what they reported.

Lone Canyon- Hunt this if you can! He saw multiple large whitetail bucks and my research led to this being the best unit.

Shorty- not very big but supposed to hold a lot of whitetail. One guy had a shot at a spike but did not take it. Lots of trails going through here as well, not sure what else they saw as they left a couple of days early

Siskpen- the guys who hunted here did not see anything and left early as well.

Samson-we hunted here and saw plenty of whitetail and mule deer and would have got one if we were rifle hunting. In the upper left corner there are feeders and a food plot on private land where we saw 2 big wt bucks fighting. If I did it again or was rifle hunting I would just sit on a high point and glass until you see something then make a move if need be. This unit was good but due to the wet year the creek running through it was hard to find a good place to cross, best bet was follow an old road to the windmill in the middle and just suck it up and walk through ( i fell once, lol )

Driving around on Sunday we saw a very nice wt buck with a kicker on his right side in East Aeromotor and would have picked that unit or south middle if they would have been available.

Also, I ordered a map from the link below it was very helpful and better than what they had at the office. I got the water proof paper and it comes with the units marked out on it.

Comment

When I hunted Yoakum Dunes a couple of years ago, the biologist out there told me that Chip runs the mule deer program for the whole state. That's who he reported to.

Comment

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
        I sent you the info below via pm but it's not showing it went through so I will post it here for any other that are interested as well

The research I did also said more whitetail to the east but we saw plenty of both on the West side. I talked to 3 different groups and here is what they reported.

Lone Canyon- Hunt this if you can! He saw multiple large whitetail bucks and my research led to this being the best unit.

Shorty- not very big but supposed to hold a lot of whitetail. One guy had a shot at a spike but did not take it. Lots of trails going through here as well, not sure what else they saw as they left a couple of days early

Samson-we hunted here and saw plenty of whitetail and mule deer and would have got one if we were rifle hunting. In the upper left corner there are feeders and a food plot on private land where we saw 2 big wt bucks fighting. If I did it again or was rifle hunting I would just sit on a high point and glass until you see something then make a move if need be. This unit was good but due to the wet year the creek running through it was hard to find a good place to cross, best bet was follow an old road to the windmill in the middle and just suck it up and walk through ( i fell once, lol )

Driving around on Sunday we saw a very nice wt buck with a kicker on his right side in East Aeromotor and would have picked that unit or south middle if they would have been available.

Also, I ordered a map from the link below it was very helpful and better than what they had at the office. I got the water proof paper and it comes with the units marked out on it.

http://www.apexmappingsolutions.com/matador.html
        PM sent

Comment

Got it! THX! The PM did come through also. THX a ton! Wes

Comment

Thanks for all the information. Much appreciated. I bought the map you recommended for our GDA hunt in December and the map is great quality.

Comment

I also bought the map. Hunting next week. THX for all the advice! Much appreciated! Wes

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiewes View Post
                I also bought the map. Hunting next week. THX for all the advice! Much appreciated! Wes

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by NDN98 View Post
                  Good luck!
                  THX a ton! Looking forward to it! Wes

Comment

Working...
                  X