No announcement yet.

Travelling with gun IAH (houston)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been traveling for years with my Turkey gun (Shotgun). I've never had an issue outside of one trip where they put my gun case on the checked luggage belt in bag claim....that was an experience!

Comment

No personal experience, but on a recent Meateater podcast, Steve and the boys go over how to travel with a gun. It seemed like a process, but a straight forward one. Also, seems like if you do one thing wrong it won’t go as smoothly.

A couple of the things I recall were 1) ammo needs to be packed separately in a box intended for ammo (they suggest the box it comes in) and 2) have a TSA lock of every place the case can lock (they suggest buying a case with only a couple of locking points)

Comment

U need to be packing a loaded gun any time you travel to IAH.

Comment

Not quite the same thing but I flew out of DFW a couple of months ago heading to Dayton OH. with my Glock. Nice lady asked where it was and if it was loaded. I told her in a locked box in my suitcase and the ammo was in a separate original box in same suit case. She had me get the case out and unlock pistol case and show her it was unloaded and all mags were unloaded. Taped the card on the box, had me lock it back and all was well. Had to show ID in Dayton to pick up my suitcase but easy peasy. Exact same scenario coming back. Was easy and I was armed on my stay in OH.

Comment

Just do carry on

Comment

I have flown multiple times with a handgun in a checked bag. The process is pretty standard and I have flown into Albuquerque, Austin, Hobby, DC, LAX and LAS and CLL. With no problems. I always have my LEO creds with me but have never shown them even when flying into the peoples republic of California.

Only once did I have to show ID to pick up my bag. It is kind of scary that anyone could grab my bag with my gun in it and walk off. I always use the smallest firearm case I can fit the gun in and cover it in clothes after check in so that a nosy baggage handler will have to "work" to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                So I just travelled with my rifle on delta today out of iah. I checked in at terminal A for a flight at 6.30 am. Delta opened at 4.30 am, I was first in line, and got my rifle cleared, and myself through security by 5.15 am. Not sure if OP's story was a one off, but it could not have been easier to check my rifle.
                Thanks for following back up. Do you remember which terminal you flew out of? My concern was having to do the back and forth with terminal B that my friend experienced and Colton (above)in this thread said he experienced too.

I flown many times with my gun from IAh...i just never heard of having to go terminal B to check in with a gun even though you are flying out of a different terminal

Comment

I no longer fly with guns. Going back and forth from Texas to NY has made a few memorable flights with TSA and NY/ NJ Port Authority. I think if the baggage handlers know it is a gun case, they intentionally treat it rough. I bought a new SKB rifle case. When I picked it up after my flight, it looked like I bought it used and scratched with a broken plastic foot. Luckily, scope and rifle were still dead on. No more. I leave guns in Texas and NY that drove to their locations.
                  Good luck and safe travels.

Comment

Working...
                  X