Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dixiehunter View Post
    How's the line-X holding up?
    So far so good. No real fading issues. A few spots where it's rubbed flat, but nothing major.

Comment

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
      So far so good. No real fading issues. A few spots where it's rubbed flat, but nothing major.
      That's good to hear. Yours looks good. Never been a fan of the diy ones, but I saw a Superduty that was professional done like yours but in a blued steel color that I really liked, so I might look into doing one eventually.
      Last edited by ShredLikeRed; 03-31-2017, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Start with the LQ4 or LQ9 6.0l engine and a 4l80e transmission. Bore and stroke to 408ci. Add power adder to taste.

Comment

I may have missed it but I didn't read where it was 4x4, if so I agree with those suggesting 4-6" on the lift. If not then I would just do the 2" leveling kit on a 2x4.

Comment

Originally posted by Mesquite Archer View Post
            I may have missed it but I didn't read where it was 4x4, if so I agree with those suggesting 4-6" on the lift. If not then I would just do the 2" leveling kit on a 2x4.
            It is a 4x4.

Comment

It is a 4x4.
              I kind of figured it was, just checking. What motor is in it now?

Comment

I don't know if it's still true, but the dirt track guys used to jump all over those Vortec cylinder heads that you'll be taking out.

Those 90's 350s wouldn't win many races, but they were as solid a piece as anyone ever put in a truck. We put 320k+ miles on 3 or 4 of them.

Comment

Comment

8.1!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The swap you're looking at will definitely liven it up a bit!

Comment

well if it were me I would put a stright axle up front. I had a 98 K2500 with 4.88 gears and 37 hummer take offs that ate up ball joints. The 350 is a great motor always dreamed of a 383 stroker. But I miss my old chevy. I would definitely look for a used 350 or 6.0 if you plan on anything bigger than 33's I would re gear to 4.10 or 4.56. Also as mentioned earlier get a 4L80E tranny, they are pretty tough when adding horsepower.

Comment

Straight axle swaps are cool, but good ones are really expensive and most aren't a lot of fun on the highway.

There aren't really any GOOD leveling kits for that year model. I'd stick in that 3-4 inch susp. lift range, Mark. Assuming you'll be running up to a few hundred miles per trip on occaision, that will give you room for 33s but keep the geometry right and CV angles in a good reliable range, won't eat up those smaller 1/2 ton brakes ....and not require a gear swap. I think that's your sweet spot for tire/mileage/driveability/cool stance. Get a good one that drops the front diff though, and include any and all steering gear stiffeners and upgrades available. I'm a believer in billstein shocks of the appropriate length, as well as steering stabilizer.

One thing you might consider is rear lift springs, instead of blocks. If it was a 3/4 I wouldn't worry about it, but if you start sneaking up on 400hp with those 1/2 ton springs AND blocks...you are liable to get axle wrap and that eats up U-joints and makes for a harsh take off under "git some" throttle.
                          Last edited by Dale Moser; 03-31-2017, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            Straight axle swaps are cool, but good ones are really expensive and most aren't a lot of fun on the highway.

There aren't really any GOOD leveling kits for that year model. I'd stick in that 3-4 inch susp. lift range, Mark. Assuming you'll be running up to a few hundred miles per trip on occaision, that will give you room for 33s but keep the geometry right and CV angles in a good reliable range, won't eat up those smaller 1/2 ton brakes ....and not require a gear swap. I think that's your sweet spot for tire/mileage/driveability/cool stance. Get a good one that drops the front diff though, and include any and all steering gear stiffeners and upgrades available. I'm a believer in billstein shocks of the appropriate length, as well as steering stabilizer.

Agreed. Mud truck on 40's you need straight axle but a beefed up driver is good on a mild lift and 33's

Comment

Well, found a shop in town that's done a bunch of swaps like mine and even has 2 in the shop at the moment. After talking to the owner and telling him what I am looking for, here's where we are at the moment.

Chevrolet Performance LS 6.0 376/480 HP Engines Link to motor specs

TD PERFORMANCE LS ENGINE INTO 88-98 4WD
                              CHEVY/GMC 1500 TRUCKS & SUVS;
                              AUTO/MANUAL TRANSMISSION; HTC SILVER
                              CERAMIC COATED HEADERS

Transmission 4L80 with transfer case

Flowmaster Exhust System

Rear Drive Shaft W Greasable CV and slip Yoke

Custom Front Drive Shaft W CV Yoke

Should go into the shop in two weeks. Looking at a 6" lift as well. He showed me a truck similar to mine he did that on and was able to use the same rims with slightly taller tires and it looked really clean.
                              Last edited by 1369; 05-03-2017, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X