Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm Going Elk Hunting in CO - Help Me With Gear Recommendations! (Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the footwear subject.... Gore-Tex for sure. Also, don't just walk and hike in your boots before you go. Try to find a place where you can do a lot of side hill hiking to make sure your boots are comfortable in that situation as well. Take a trip to a state park in rough country (Palo Duro, Big Bend, etc.) if you have time, and give your gear a test drive.

Comment

For your boots, It may be your inserts that are squeaking. (powder may help.) I like super feet green. (Nothing can ruin your hunt faster than boots that aren't perfect!!!!)

I prefer a 2 or 3 pin movable sight. 25, 40, 50. my 50 is the one that adjust to longer yardage. (Too many pins can be confusing in the heat of the moment.)

I like a day pack that you can strap your bow to for the long hikes in the dark. (Carrying your bow in your hand when you don't have to, can wear you out.)

I love a Merino wool Chama or Kuiu hoodie. I wear one every day and packs light if i get too warm.

Kuiu gaiters are great to keep your pants dry in heavy dew.

Kuiu attack pants are awesome.

A light weight pack able rain jacket is a must. Cabelas space rain is light and pack-able.

merino wool socks and base layers are a must for me.

Black pepper will help keep the flies at bay after you quarter your elk.

I always carry some kind of light weight water filter.

Knife sharpener.

Chap stick.

Hard candy will help to conserve water and fight dry mouth. (you will get dry mouth)

A good wind checker is a must. (use it often.)

Diaphragm calls are the way to go. (I always have one in my mouth.) You may have to try several and trim them to find what works best for you.

Easy accessible range finder is HUGE! I know yardages well! but out there and with an elk I have been wrong too many times! ( Range him!)

Use a broad head you have confidence in, and works well in the wind and at long yardages.

These are the things that come to mind for me.

Have fun! The hunt is the banana split! If you kill one, That's the cherry on top!
      Last edited by ELKAHOLIC; 05-02-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
        To start.....its a trip to Colorado not a Trip to the moon. Most first timers take the advice of folks who have never been there and WAY overpack and over gear.

The HUNTING EQUIPMENT NEEDED IS BASIC

the specialty stuff has to do with camping.

I have a Cabelas Alaskan Frame Pack and fill it with the gear I need for a weeks hunt: Clothes, 1 man sleeping bag, 1 man tent, freeze dried food, GPS, paracord, knives, hatchet, iodine water tablets, etc.

I have a basic day pack I use while actually hunting, the frame is too much to carry day in/day out.

Most places you hunt you will make camp close to a truck.....on some of the units we hunt we can use ATV's which we pull trailers behind them and carry dry boxes/ice chests with additional food and camp kitchen stuff and a canvas tent/bigger tents for a more comfortable base camp. Our space allows for 1 gun/1 bow depending on what season your in.

I use Irish Setter 400 gram Vapor boots...right at 2 lbs a piece. you don't want heavy, insulated boots. I'm really big on saving weight....that will fatigue you more than anything. I carry a pack with binos/rangefinder, knives, food, water and my weapon and that's it. Everything else, leave at camp. Clothing, just basic academy realtree clothing but I do spend money on northface and underarmour base layers. Early season I use thin stuff. Don't want to wear stuff that is too warm and heavy. Wool socks are a must....cotton socks are good for starting fires and that's about it.

September hunts are generally mild but you can get rain....bring a rain suit, although I've never needed one. make sure its light weight if your gonna carry it in your pack. Frog Toggs make a decent one that weighs almost nothing.

the only thing I would recommend as a must have is a GPS. not one on your phone a GPS with replaceable batteries to keep from getting lost.

Have fun, good luck. on the first couple trips don't set your expectations too high, enjoy the mountains and get a feel for western hunting.

another cool accessory but not 100% necessary is a Jet boil. makes cooking 100x's easier.

ill leave in the morning and hunt all day. a mid day lunch/nap out on the mountain is a great treat.

One last thing if I haven't mentioned it enough already.....CUT DOWN ON WEIGHT.

Leave the spotting scopes at home. too much weight and not enough opportunities to use them. elk are always moving and the odds of you spotting one at a distance you couldn't see with bino's and getting over to it are extremely slim. A spotting scope is a great tool in a lot of areas....Colorado high country isn't one of them. A lot of areas you won't be able to see more than 100 yards in any direction anyway. Big Binoculars are another thing to leave at home. a basic 10x42 pair is plenty. if you absolutely must pack a pistol, carry a small one like a M&P shield. A heavy handgun is gonna wear you down. you don't need monster knifes or a huge bone saw....I carry a lightweight knife kit and folding saw. Honestly, you probably own all the gear already necessary to get you 90% of the way there....just a few items, like a jet boil and GPS, are all most need to complete their trip.

Colorado Hunting is amazingly simple and one of the most over-talked about and over-complicated topics around the hunting world.

One last thing....bring a zippo lighter and some firestarters. makes that campfire much, much easier to get going
        Pretty much agree with everything except the spotting scope.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've personally never been in a position hunting in Colorado where a spotting scope would have helped me.

In more open country they are a benefit but in the aspens and spruce trees its just dead weight to me.

of course others may have had different experiances

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
            Camofire has some Mystery Ranch packs last week. I don’t think they sold out so it might be worth watching that site.

Like I mentioned Saturday at CCR, this year is my first elk hunt so I’ll be following along. We’ve been planning this for just over a year to allow time spread out the big ticket items, get into better shape, and really research our options for hunts (and e-scout the specific units we are interested in).

Just finished watching the video, I think you will need to remove the light from your stabilizer. I don’t use one, but I think I saw that’s a no-no in the Colorado regs.

I’ll go looking for it and will post a link once I find them.
            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good info! I'll definitely remove the Sniper Light that I'm using as a stabilizer for the hunt.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I haven't found a need for spotting either. I'm not carry that thing around , to much weight.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                Based on convos with Adam, I'd suggest buying a pair of running shoes and wearing the soles off prior to the hunt, in preparation!

LOL! I've already started training to try to keep up!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Good stuff!

I do have quite a bit of gear that I've been accumulating and using for camping and yakpacking trips - fuel stoves, tarps, pads, hammocks, range finder, knives, foldable saws, cordage, etc. I also have considerable camo clothing, some of which will probably work.

I think Adam may carry a spotting scope - we used one on a low country muley hunt a couple of seasons ago - but I'm thinking we probably won't need it.

GPS is high on my list of things I'll need! Thanks!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Good stuff!

I do have quite a bit of gear that I've been accumulating and using for camping and yakpacking trips - fuel stoves, tarps, pads, hammocks, range finder, knives, foldable saws, cordage, etc. I also have considerable camo clothing, some of which will probably work.

I think Adam may carry a spotting scope - we used one on a low country muley hunt a couple of seasons ago - but I'm thinking we probably won't need it.

GPS is high on my list of things I'll need! Thanks!

We are planning on using the OnX app on our phones for GPS.

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                      I recommend taking a nurse...
                      Good one, Jenn!!!

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      LOL! I've already started training to try to keep up!

Go to the football stadium and walk up and down the steps to get your legs in shape.

Comment

Have you played with a phoneskope Micheal? It wont be something you "need" for that hunt, but us subscribers will appreciate the video you will be able to capture through the spotting scope. If you have the room in the pack for the spotter, it may be worth the weight for the video and pictures alone. I can bring my set up this weekend if you want to play with it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
                          We are planning on using the OnX app on our phones for GPS.

You gonna have the means to charge your phones daily?

I learned the hard way....you want interchangeable battery powered gps in the backcountry

Comment

Gaiters for sure !! Very important. I use an older model of these.

If you are packing in or even camping at the trail head I would sleep in my hammock with a tarp. Getting off the ground is much more comfortable.

If you want to go more comfortable and camping at the trail head....go wall tent, cots and wood stove. Very comfortable and good rest is of paramount importance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hammok (Small).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	24538776

Name:	Elk Camp (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	24538777

Name:	Timm (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	24538778

Name:	Camp 3 (Small).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	24538779

My best advice......don't over think the gear deal. I am sure you already have what you need (maybe except for few items) for a great hunt. I know its fun and exciting to get new stuff, but you could leave tomorrow with your current gear and do just fine.

My other best advice....don't over do it on the first day or even the second day. If you over do it you will find out what I am talking about and it will ruin a good portion if not all of your hunt. I have seen guys (including myself) in their excitement hike 10 miles the first day and be messed up for the next 2-3 days. No matter how you train here it will not be sufficient in the mountains. You will realize this in the first 30 minutes of your first hike when you think you brain is going to explode. Take it nice and slow....especially the first few days.

I don't have any videos, but I have a lot of pictures and info from experience in the mountains that I will be glad to post as this thread progresses.

Have fun and best of luck on your hunt !!!
                            Last edited by Arrowsmith; 05-02-2018, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                              You gonna have the means to charge your phones daily?

I learned the hard way....you want interchangeable battery powered gps in the backcountry

Yes, we will. Sure it’s another thing or two to carry in, but that’s all a part of the plan.

Comment

One suggestion on boots. The last time I went elk hunting (18 years ago), I actually wore waterproof snake boots. Why do you ask? On the previous hunt, my feet got wet from having to cross streams or even crossing a marshy area that was above my boot height. No bueno! So, I decided to wear my taller waterproof snake boots the next time. Obviously, they need to be well broken in and comfortable like LaCrosse.

Comment

Working...
                                X