Hog Trapping Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That trap will be bent to hell once you catch a group. Just FYI

Need to add a lot more reinforcements in all corners and the middle.

You won't catch 10 pigs in there I don't think

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
      Have the hogs going in the cage within 24 hours of baiting it. Went out yesterday to bait it one more time and will set it on Wednesday.

My question: will hunting them over the trap mess up the trapping? I’ve got 10+ pigs coming to the site all at once and would love to be there waiting with an AR.
      My sons hunt with the trap set. We've never had a problem. They have actually watched pigs get trapped and we have also caught pigs the same night we hunted over it.
      We have a feeder over the trap that slings corn everywhere but we take a 1 gallon ziplock bag with us when we hunt it and pour it out in a line from the trap toward the direction of the blind.
      Don't try to shoot them on the other side of the trap with a bow!!!!
      Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
        That trap will be bent to hell once you catch a group. Just FYI

Need to add a lot more reinforcements in all corners and the middle.

You won't catch 10 pigs in there I don't think
        Yes, I know, I won’t likely catch more than 3. That’s why I want to hunt over it.

I reinforced the the trap with tposts and ubolts.

Comment

Originally posted by tmstuk View Post
          My sons hunt with the trap set. We've never had a problem. They have actually watched pigs get trapped and we have also caught pigs the same night we hunted over it.
          We have a feeder over the trap that slings corn everywhere but we take a 1 gallon ziplock bag with us when we hunt it and pour it out in a line from the trap toward the direction of the blind.
          Don't try to shoot them on the other side of the trap with a bow!!!!
          Good luck!
          This is encouraging. I may hunt over it tomorrow right after I set it. Pigs are coming in heavy, constantly.

Comment

Do y'all worry about eating the pork after they've been eating the diesel corn at all?

Comment

Use a game camera so you can see what and if they are coming into the trap.

Comment

Hang a piece of burlap over your door about 2/3 of the way...when the non hogs hit it, they'll back off soak the burlap in mineral oil andvhog urine, and the hogs will walk right through it

Comment

Had 3 sows and 1 boar in it this morning. Can’t get pics to load but will when I get better service.

Comment

nice!

Comment

Cant get pics to load. Caught a boar this morning. 5 pigs in 2 days.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
                        Cant get pics to load. Caught a boar this morning. 5 pigs in 2 days.
                        Awesome job!!!!! Our feeder ran out of corn last week. We filled it over the weekend and are headed back up tonight. Should have a few by Sunday.
                        Did you hunt over it?

Comment

Awesome. I just put out a trap last weekend, was thinking of waiting 3 weeks, but maybe I'll set it this weekend or next. Got one from tractor supply with the root style doors, good price for how sturdy it is.

Comment

Working...
                          X