Gus Engeling WMA Feral Hog Permit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gus Engeling WMA Feral Hog Permit

I drew a Feral Hog Permit at Gus Engeling WMA for 5/25/2017 - 5/28/2017. Any one ever hunted hog at Gus Engeling WMA? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

Just noticed they did away allowing hog hunting out there by APH permit, does not make sense to me, they complain about the feral hog problem competing with the deer but limit opportunity on hunting them, government management at its best...

Comment

It ought to be nice and thick out there by then.

Comment

I drew a permit also for the 25-28 of May

Comment

Looking forward to the hunt . I will be sure and share any info I find on the Hunting area as I have never hunted or visited Gus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I was there on a deer rifle hunt. Plenty of sign and they are there, just a matter of seeing them during daylight. They eat the corn, but again, all this was at night. Trail cam confirmed.

Comment

I've killed several hogs off of Gus Engeling. My advice would be, don't wait for them to come to bait. Go in after them. This works even better if it's warm. The hogs like to bed down during the heat of the day. Find one of the many hog trails crisscrossing the woods. Slowly and quietly head up a well used one with the wind in your face, or at least crossing you. If the wind is in your favor, and you are reasonably quiet, you will eventually walk up on a sounder. It may take a day or two, but you'll find one.

If it's real crunchy walking, don't let that stop you. Hogs make a lot of noise and aren't really that alarmed by the sound of walking in the leaves. If they get a smell of you though, that's a different story.

Good luck!

Comment

Jibby and Palehorse. Thank you both for the advice. Much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We saw them all over the place while out there for a 3 day youth event last month. You'll see them at dusk or early morning unless there's over cast and it's been raining...then they'll move all day. We've been hosting our NWTF youth event there the past 4 or 5 years and this year we saw more hogs than ever. We saw a lot of deer and turkey out there as well...beautiful hardwood country.

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
                    I've killed several hogs off of Gus Engeling. My advice would be, don't wait for them to come to bait. Go in after them. This works even better if it's warm. The hogs like to bed down during the heat of the day. Find one of the many hog trails crisscrossing the woods. Slowly and quietly head up a well used one with the wind in your face, or at least crossing you. If the wind is in your favor, and you are reasonably quiet, you will eventually walk up on a sounder. It may take a day or two, but you'll find one.

If it's real crunchy walking, don't let that stop you. Hogs make a lot of noise and aren't really that alarmed by the sound of walking in the leaves. If they get a smell of you though, that's a different story.

Good luck!
                    This guy has t down. Even better if you can be near water.

Comment

At Gus being near water wont be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X