DIY Ladder Stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Ladder Stand?

Anyone done their own? I'd like to build one this weekend, hoping for a 20ft tall one. Any bright ideas? I'm not a very handy guy, trying to work on that.
    Thanks!

Wooden ones work, and I know it's what a lot of people used for a long time, but I think the safety risk isn't worth it. I've seen them collapse plenty of times and I'll only hunt metal stands now. If you can weld, you can make a pretty sturdy ladder stand for a lot less than buying a quality one. You can buy flimsier ones that work and are safe for pretty cheap but they aren't as solid, and make more noise.

Draw up some plans or base it off an existing companies stand and get to welding up a bunch of square tube.

Comment

I built one years ago, lemme see can I find the thread......

Comment

I built one last year. I am only 170 lbs so i built it as light as possible. It is made from 3/4" square tubing with 1/2" square tubing steps. My ladder is 12 foot and then the platform/seat goes on top of that. The ladder takes apart into two sections. The two sections are joined by a 1" sleeve that is welded on one portion. The other portion slides in and then i made T-bolts to secure it. I'll post some pics of it on here eventually.

Comment

Sorry, I should have specified. I'm wanting to build a wooden ladder stand...no welding skills/equip./etc. I am a big guy so planning on putting lots of strength into it, don't doubt that. just wanting to see what other TBH gurus have done. Nice metal ones, guys!

Comment

The wooded stands are dangerous IMO, its just a matter of time before it fails, so ask yourself how much your life is worth before building one. Ive been in one when that busted and I fell about 10 feet luckily with no damage to myself. I will not get in one any longer.

Comment

Is a wooden ladder stand any more prone to failing than a wooden box blind? Do you feel the same about box blinds? Is there no way to make a ladder stand sturdy enough and secure enough to safely hunt out of? I'm talking 2X6's, nice big platform, ... Is all the help I'm going to get in asking how to build a wooden ladderstand, is advice simply not to build one?
              Last edited by Brazman; 08-30-2011, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazman View Post
                Is a wooden ladder stand any more prone to failing than a wooden box blind? Do you feel the same about box blinds? Is there no way to make a ladder stand sturdy enough and secure enough to safely hunt out of? I'm talking 2X6's, nice big platform, ... Is all the help I'm going to get in asking how to build a wooden ladderstand, simply not to build one?
                I think you can build a perfectly safe ladder stand out of wood if you do it right, using treated lumber and large lag screws. I've seen people scrimp on materials and slam one together using old 2x4's and nails - those are the dangerous ones. Eventually those nails get loose, water gets in the wood and rots - next thing you know a rung pops off when you put weight on it and down you go. I would also re-treat the wood and retighten eveything once a year just to be safe. It's gonna be real heavy.
                Last edited by jerp; 08-30-2011, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Academy sells a metal one that is actually built for two people that holds 450 pounds I am a big guy as well 300 plus and I use these just for my self. I am also cheap and these things are right around 100 bucks I have two of them and they work fine, and I think 100 bucks wouls be cheaper than all the wood your gonna need...maybe not, just trying to see if I can make things easier for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazman View Post
                    Is a wooden ladder stand any more prone to failing than a wooden box blind? Do you feel the same about box blinds? Is there no way to make a ladder stand sturdy enough and secure enough to safely hunt out of? I'm talking 2X6's, nice big platform, ... Is all the help I'm going to get in asking how to build a wooden ladderstand, simply not to build one?
                    To answer you question no I wouldnt hunt out of an elevated wood blind unless it was on a steel platform and steel legs but thats just me. Just giving my oppinion but im not saying another word.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Thumper View Post
                      To answer you question no I wouldnt hunt out of an elevated wood blind unless it was on a steel platform and steel legs but thats just me. Just giving my oppinion but im not saying another word.
                      Sounds like you've had a bad experience or two! I'm with you on elevated all-wood blinds, though. Many years ago I was in one (wood box with 4x4 legs) at a friend's lease. A big wind came up and one of the guy wires popped off - the whole thing toppled over with me in it. Luckily it was only a 8 footer but it banged me up some and broke the scope off my rifle. That was my last time in a blind of that design.

Comment

I would not recommend you build a 20' wooden ladder stand. I personally would not go over 10 with wood. Even a 10 footer would be a beast to carry and set up

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                          I would not recommend you build a 20' wooden ladder stand. I personally would not go over 10 with wood. Even a 10 footer would be a beast to carry and set up
                          I did not catch the fact that you wanted it to be 20'. I also would not go above 10ft with wood.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                            I think you can build a perfectly safe ladder stand out of wood if you do it right, using treated lumber and large lag screws. I've seen people scrimp on materials and slam one together using old 2x4's and nails - those are the dangerous ones. Eventually those nails get loose, water gets in the wood and rots - next thing you know a rung pops off when you put weight on it and down you go. I would also re-treat the wood and retighten eveything once a year just to be safe. It's gonna be real heavy.
                            X2

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk.

Comment

Working...
                            X