X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charles View Post
    Don't take this wrong but you are nutz
    LOL Charles, a little dab will do ya!
    I backed off the heat on mine over the years because not many people could eat it.
    I am about flavor with a significant kick!

Comment

^^^^ bingo. Too many guys try to go right into too high of percentages on the really hot peppers. I've found when it comes to ghost pepper, about 1/4 of the mash can be ghost before you really start losing people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
        Don't take this wrong but you are nutz
        You durn sissy!

Comment

I have 2 physical reactions to anything remotely warm. The last time I ate a sliver of a jalapeno pepper I started sweating really bad. Then the next day you will hear screams coming from the bathroom. No thanks.

Comment

Well, it looks like I will be doing a green sauce this year as well. Took down the last of the pepper plants and ended up with a 5 gallon bucket overflowing with unripened ghost peppers....
            now to come up with another recipe.. :-)

Comment

I'd like to see what the insides of some of y'alls stomachs look like. This Texas boy likes regular old hot sauce but anything hotter than that burns my stomach (and other tender organs) bad.

Comment

Well, I was wholly underprepared to make this amount of sauce this year. Just including the green ghost peppers, I ended up with 8.5lbs, or 2 gallons finely chopped. I don't have the fermenter space, nor do I want to buy the 45lbs of other peppers needed to keep the recipe true, so I will be freezing most of it. I'll only be making about 5 gallons of mash today. And the rest will have to wait.
                The red sauce was the original goal of growing all these, and even that batch will have to wait for another day.

Comment

Well, after freezing my stock of hot peppers last season, our deep freeze went out. We lost all the peppers, 4-5lbs of blueberries, 5lbs of blackberries, 60lbs of venison, 20lbs of fish, 45-50lbs of home grown beef, 5lbs of trout, some salmon, and lots of things out of the garden.

My hot pepper crop has finally come in over the last few weeks, and I put together a couple more sauces.
                  I still have the bucket of green sauce aging, and it makes one hell of an enchilada sauce.
                  Added to that is what will end up being over 6 gallons of ghost pepper and over 2 gallons of Carolina Reaper sauce. That doesn't even count the peppers that will come in the fall, or the 2lbs of ghosts I picked today.....

I wasn't able to source serranos in red this year, at least not in the quantities needed for a batch. So, I went with a different filler pepper. Hopefully it comes out as good as the regular batch.

This all puts me around 2,000 ounces of sauce, so 200-400 bottles depending on whether I use 5oz or 10oz bottles.

I will post here when it is bottled and see if anyone is still interested... should be 2-3 more months until they are done.

Comment

Looks like some good stuff!!!!

Makes me want to try making a batch with some Scotch Bonnet peppers. I like the flavor of them and usually just slice up a few fresh for sandwiches and burgers or toss a few in a pot of beans or chili.

Comment

I wouldn't even attempt it. I don't like sitting on the toilet all day long and feeling like I'm giving birth to a fire breathing dragon. I guarantee you it wouldn't be ten minutes after I ate that and that dragon would be bangin on the door like the police screaming "Let me out! It's hot in here!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                        Well, after freezing my stock of hot peppers last season, our deep freeze went out. We lost all the peppers, 4-5lbs of blueberries, 5lbs of blackberries, 60lbs of venison, 20lbs of fish, 45-50lbs of home grown beef, 5lbs of trout, some salmon, and lots of things out of the garden.

My hot pepper crop has finally come in over the last few weeks, and I put together a couple more sauces.
                        I still have the bucket of green sauce aging, and it makes one hell of an enchilada sauce.
                        Added to that is what will end up being over 6 gallons of ghost pepper and over 2 gallons of Carolina Reaper sauce. That doesn't even count the peppers that will come in the fall, or the 2lbs of ghosts I picked today.....

I wasn't able to source serranos in red this year, at least not in the quantities needed for a batch. So, I went with a different filler pepper. Hopefully it comes out as good as the regular batch.

This all puts me around 2,000 ounces of sauce, so 200-400 bottles depending on whether I use 5oz or 10oz bottles.

I will post here when it is bottled and see if anyone is still interested... should be 2-3 more months until they are done.

You know it's hot when you put the jar in water and it starts bubbling.lol

Comment

I'd be interested in a bottle when ya get done. How much ya charging?

Comment

Our super hots did OK this year. We made up our own labels and bottled the sauce and dried some and made powder.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                              I'd be interested in a bottle when ya get done. How much ya charging?

Not quite sure yet. This batch will probably just be whatever it takes to break even. I'm just trying to see if it is worth pursuing in seasons to come.

Comment

Man that looks good. I'm addicted to hot stuff. I am interested when it is available.

Comment

Working...
                                X