Aoudad Meat Good Or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aoudad Meat Good Or Bad?

I have an aoudad hunt this weekend and wondered about the meat. I checked the search function but got little info.

Any good and what is the best way to cook it, thanks.

Lance...my son shot a female aoudad. I tried to clean it but couldn't get past the smell. A guy on my lease said the meat was good. He took it off my hands. There was a thread on here a few weeks ago about it. A lot of people said it was o.k.

Comment

well dont bbq it if that helps, bad experience, id prolly do some sausage

Comment

Good if cooked right. I've had BF sausage and it was the best I've ever had. We tried to roast some of my dads aoudad and it was horrible. I suggest maybe ground with some beef and it should do just fine. Also the age and sex of the animal have a very big impact on the taste. Hope this helps.

Comment

All I kept off the two I took yeaterday was the backstrap. Partly because it was near impossible to pack out any more than that with the head and cape, but also because I've had Audad and it ain't that good no matter what you do to it. I'll probably have sausage and jerky made from the backstrap. That ought to tell you something if I'm taking what is normally considered the best piece of meat on most animals and turning it into jerky and sausage.

Comment

I've never killed a big ram, but I've killed 11 small rams and ewes with my bow. Was as good as venison. We treated it the same as venison with the ice soak. We made hamburger, sausage, summer sausage and cutlets. We had access to a ranch in Bandera that was covered up with them and probably killed 75 or so over 5 years. No one comoplained that the meat was bad.

The rams pee on themselves and wallow in the dirt and pee, so you have to be careful when cleaning them just like a fallow or elk. Take care of it and it'll eat just fine.

Comment

Auodad makes great jerky....but that's about it.

Comment

funny

I asked the same question when I shot mine.....The answer I got was "Some people like it". I wasn't one of them.

Comment

I loved it! I had back strap off an old ram. I bacon wrapped it like I do venison and slapped it on the grill....ummmmm! It was better than deer. I'm slobbering on my computer just thinking about it.

Comment

A buddy of mine and I ground up about 75 lbs of hamburger and added bacon to it for fat content and it was excellent. We did cut a few steaks off of them and marinated them and although I was a little tough the steaks were great too.

Comment

We bbq'd some on San Luis beach several years ago. No leftovers

Comment

Talk about an "OLD" thread!!

John Lee, miss your post. Keep the fire stoked up there and we'll see you in a while brother!!

Comment

I liked the ram my friend shot last year.

I really want to try sneaky's giouvetsi recipe :http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ight=Giouvetsi

Comment

Tastes like the north end of a southbound menstruating skunk.
                            If you can get past the smell.

Comment

young rams and the ewes are tasty,the care and prep or your meat will determine the outcome like another wild game. problem is most people shoot big old rams, they are rather chewy.

Comment

Working...
                              X