Robertson County?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redfred View Post
    I saw three deer within 50 feet of the entrance. I'll probably go back, but only during archery season, when the hunters seem a little more respectful of others.
    I hunted that unit in the earlier days of type II. We killed a bobcat in the far back west end. But of the two deer I saw killed, one a buck, another a doe. And yep, both killed by hunters just inside the entrance!

Comment

i hunted that ares last year seen a few even misses a spike. from what i could tell its pretty hunted out. just too manny people iv seen a few hogs also

Comment

pm sent warren.

Comment

Warren86 and I make a trip to Unit 607 just about every year. He was right when he said it was hunted out. You hear stories about "some guy got a good one out of there this year", but I guess even a blind squirrel gets a nut every once in a while. I have seen mostly does and spikes; which is good because you can't eat those horns anyway. I have noticed a marked decline each year in the deer population, since I have been going out there. We go to 607 because it is the closest place to rifle hunt. I bowhunt there and have seen a few, but not so much this year. I like the place, so I will probably keep going. As far as driving in there, Russell (the game warden for 607) will allow you to follow the road all the way to the middle fence. Drive or park anywhere else, and he will give you a ticket. There are usually a lot of people out there; so, if the spot you picked out is easy to get to, count on someone walking right over you. The first year I went out there, there were hunters about every 50-100 yards (literally!). It doesn't seem that bad now. As far as being safe, there is risk in all aspects of hunting. Use your head and figure everyone else is a trigger-happy fool and you will be fine. I know that seems like a harsh thing to say, but it has kept me from getting shot for years. I hope this has answered everyones' questions. Safe hunting!
          Last edited by Huntingnut; 05-07-2010, 03:27 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingnut View Post
            As far as driving in there, Russell (the game warden for 607) will allow you to follow the road all the way to the middle fence. Drive or park anywhere else, and he will give you a ticket.
            This is not good to hear because the map, the Luminant signs near the east gate, and the road itself seem to give conflicting instructions. I would be very upset to get a ticket as a result. I've seen people park near the first fence, in the old barn, and all along the main road (not the pipeline road).

If you choose to enter through the west gate, be extremely careful around the parking area. It is steep and full of ruts and washouts right near the highway.

Comment

You aren't kidding about that west gate; it sucks over there. If you go in the other gate: go past that old barn and go right when the road splits. This will take you around that old pond and down the side of the property line. You can follow that pasture road and park anywhere along it or at the end of it. If you go down that pipeline road in the middle of the place, you will get a ticket. Stay to the right when you go in, and you will be fine.

Comment

Huntingnut, thanks for the clarification. I bet that GW writes a lot of tickets just for parking.

I would also avoid the west gate in rainy weather.

Comment

Robertson county sux anyway!! There is NO WAY id hunt public land there with all of the yahoo's I know in the franklin area!! We built a power line there and it was BAD just going down right of ways!!

Comment

How's the dove hunting, Maglite? It looks like it would be good.

Comment

No problem 100%ttld. The GW just started writing tickets for parking this year. He said he got tired of telling people and them not paying any attention to his warnings. I can't blaim the guy.

Comment

On google maps it looks like there is a path off 7 that takes you back to the west. Is that right and can you use a mountain bike out there to get way back?

Comment

The road in off of 7 is rutted real bad I was told. My son and I went out there opening weekend but we hunted the east entrance off of the county RD. We went out the weekend before opening day and saw 8 does. We had the east side to ourself. Found 3 spots to hunt, but Opening day it was a parking lot. LOL Everyone drives in about a mile and parks. There was about 15 trucks out there that weekend. We heard one snort behind us, but didn't see anything.

Comment

Is there only certain you can park or can you pull off to the side of the road anywhere along the way?

Comment

OMG went here for opening day gun and I thought I was hunting inside a walmart. People everywhere. I saw 8 deer, was watching a spike and deciding to take him or not, when a guy walked up and scared him, then shot at 6 point that was coming out to my side. of course, he missed. Another time, I had deer coming out behind me and 2 guys came walking up and scared them back in. All before 9 oclock. Oh well. you get what you pay for.

Comment

i was there opening day of gun also but i didnt see that manny people but then i was way the hell in there most people are not willing to go that far back in there

Comment

Working...
                                X