Treestand Accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone that hunts from a climber or lock on
    on a regular basis should realize one thing....
    It is not a matter of if. It is a matter of when.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
      I've know 3 people who have fallen out of a treestand. Best case, screw in step tore his leg and nutsack, second best case, broken ribs and back, worst case, torn aorta, found dead at the base of the tree.
      All 3 are tragic

Comment

I had got out of my stand and walked back to my son's stand just as I got there, I watched my son fall from 12-13 feet up. Luckily he had harness and life line on and was not hurt. It could have been bad.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
          I had got out of my stand and walked back to my son's stand just as I got there, I watched my son fall from 12-13 feet up. Luckily he had harness and life line on and was not hurt. It could have been bad.
          Saved his life

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            Never wear one but willing to accept the consequences for not. However I never hunt from lock on stands anymore and I'm pretty careful about securing my ladder stands.
            "pretty" careful. lol. I'm not willing to leave my family behind because I wouldn't do something as simple as tying off and using a harness. Fact: 100% of people don't think they will fall....until they fall

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
              Pretty hard to fall outa climber.
              J[emoji3]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
              No it's not. Ask me how I know

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                Second dumbest thing you’ve posted. If you think for one second that falls are intentional or planned, you are crazy. Just like car accidents...they happen when you least expect it. I’m betting you wear your seatbelt while driving? Same thing here. If you’d like to stop acting like you’re invincible, that would be best for the rest of the folks considering wearing a harness. Not sure if you have kids or not, but I hope you don’t.

Skinny
                No, I think they are equally dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                  Excellent!!! I feel I've done my good deed for the day.
                  Glad you feel better. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad you feel better. [emoji16]

Thanks! I'm sure your loved ones feel better as well.

Comment

Happened to the guy that owns Midway USA as well.

Comment

hunter safety systems runs sales, I snagged some of the life lines 40% off for cyber monday avg cost around 22 bucks per setup - no excuse not to hang one in every elevated spot you hunt

Comment

How many of you flirt with death every day and don't wear your seatbelts!! lol

Comment

The number one reason i strap in to a harness is to prevent my wife or kids from having to wipe my arse because I paralyzed myself.
                            I am the man of the house and i prefer to be the one solving problems , not becoming one.

Comment

I remembered this story, thought it was appropriate. I understand if you don't want to wear a safety belt. I will respect your opinion and decision. Accidents do happen. I hope all of you that don't have life insurance to take care of your family will take care of that now, just like you purchased a belt to protect you in case of a fall.

Comment

Just don't fall. Replace your straps regular and pay attention to what you're doing. I stand a better chance of falling of the ladder cleaning gutters than out of my ladder stand.

I tried to read further but couldn't get past this post without saying something...

Ask your family if they would want you to wear a harness.... Remember, you not are 100% in control of everything around you. How old is your ladder stand? Are the bolts holding it together rusted? Have the welds been certified? What about the chain/binder or ratchet strap? Ever seen a ratchet strap fail? I have, and it was brand new straight out of the package. And before you say something, yes I know how to use a ratchet strap AND inspect them.

So, let's say this "ladder stand" stays up year after year... The last time I checked, trees grow and when they grow things "attached" to them move... This is unless your ladder tree is attached to a dead tree which it may as well be if you don't wear a harness...

What happens when you climb that ladder stand and you have some gumbo mud stuck on the bottom of your boot that you don't realize is there... Make it 8' up and "oops".... Something above and beyond your control

Do yourself AND MOST IMPORTANTLY your family a favor and use a harness while climbing up, climbing down and while sitting on stand... You may not give two ****s about yourself but I'm sure there's someone somewhere out there that does...

I know what I just said will probably fall on deaf ears but I couldn't not say something....

Best wishes

**edited to add...

I don't hunt off the ground anymore... I'm just not that mad at them and I do 99% of my hunting in west Texas and I haven't seen a mesquite out there tall enough or big enough for me

With that being said, yes, I used to hunt out of climbers, lock ons and ladder stands. Yes, I've hunted without a harness. I told myself one year that I needed to get one. One cool afternoon, I was 10' up in a tree in a ladder stand harnessed in. The air was cool, the breeze was nice and the sun was shining. I felt like a cat in a windowsill... well, if you've ever seen a cat in a windowsill, you know that they like to sleep there. Yup, I dozed off... I woke up when my harness caught me leaning forward looking straight down the ladder. If I hadn't had my harness on, I would have fallen straight forward and my face would have hit every rung on that 10' ladder all the way to the ground. I'm sure I'll get the "well, that was your fault I'm a better and more alert person than you" (which is the way some of the posts appear to read)....

To each their own...
                                Last edited by Tubby; 12-07-2017, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X