• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grumpy1911 View Post
    OSHA says you have to tie off above 6'.

some of yall gonna get wrote up.
    Not for us ironworkers.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
      I never once said it was wrong to wear a harness. I said I don't wear one myself and I pointed out a host of behaviors that people do every single day that are far more dangerous from a statistical point of view. I am not against anyone wearing one if that is what they chose to do.

-john
      You imply that your decision making is superior to those that have actually been there.

Comment

WOW!! this definitely blew up unexpectedly!

I am about to be 58. Killed my first deer with a bow at 13. Been climbing trees forever. I hunt trees, tripods, pop ups, ground blinds whatever the situation demands. I started wearing a harness 4 years ago due to a torn rotator cup and a fractured elbow. I will not climb now without one. I am overly cautious. I was putting up a new 17 ft ladder two weeks ago, working nice and slow and I tied off to a upper limb as soon as I got up without really thinking about it. During the set up process the stand shifted and I lost my footing as I was reaching around the back of the tree to catch the tie down strap. I was in a awkward position. Luckily I slipped down only about 2 feet and by right leg caught the fork of the tree limbs right below me. At the same time, the tie off on my harness also caught me. I was probably up around 18-20 feet. Not sure if I would have stopped my fall if not for the harness.

Your choice is your own. I highly recommend anyone hunting elevated to use one. Use the lifeline when climbing also.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
          Maybe I interject and ask a question???

How do y’all use a harness with a tripod? I’m not able to tie my harness in the tree closest to my tripod, a lifeline maybe? Any other ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I have several tripods that aren't close enough to a tree to tie off so I added a seat belt. It doesn't help while getting in or out but it will keep you from taking a header if you fall asleep or otherwise lose your balance. I just feel more confident and relaxed when buckled in. Here's a pic - it's just a webbed tool belt from Home Depot - I attached it at the back with pop rivets

Click image for larger version

Name:	seat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	370.6 KB
ID:	24522469

Comment

[ATTACH]886851[/ATTACH]

Not directed at any member here.

Comment

I think wearing a harness is a good thing that everyone should do. Wearing a seat belt is also a good thing that everyone should do.
              But some of you are a little over the top with your criticism of those that choose not to wear one.
              I hope you have the same conviction espousing the dangers of beer, whiskey, tobacco, etc...every time someone starts a thread either asking or promoting which brand is best.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                I think wearing a harness is a good thing that everyone should do. Wearing a seat belt is also a good thing that everyone should do.
                But some of you are a little over the top with your criticism of those that choose not to wear one.
                I hope you have the same conviction espousing the dangers of beer, whiskey, tobacco, etc...every time someone starts a thread either asking or promoting which brand is best.
                Again, apples and oranges. It's not about people's choices, it's about the perception of tree stand safety, which is what this thread is about.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                  You imply that your decision making is superior to those that have actually been there.
                  How? Please explain.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                    Once again I can see your point but simply chose to take a wider view of the subject at hand.

-john

Comment

I hunted for probably 10 years I the 90's with a Summit climber they didn't even have harness's then I was so lucky. now I'm attached to the tree before I step off the ground .

Comment

I've know 3 people who have fallen out of a treestand. Best case, screw in step tore his leg and nutsack, second best case, broken ribs and back, worst case, torn aorta, found dead at the base of the tree.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                          Does not imply that my logic is better. I simply was saying that I was looking at it differently.

-john

Comment

Good reminder and rule.

My uncle ended up losing his lower leg after falling from a tree at about 14'. The break in his ankle became infected and he went through 3 surgeries over several years before he told them to just take it off. The sad irony is that he is a Green Beret that served 27 yrs; was shot, was MIA ,and went on several POW rescues during and related to the Vietnam War.

Life is strange. I recall walking the top plates, above the 2nd story on ridges and hips of frames covered with frost during the winters. I was in my early and mid 20's and never blinked or shook. Boss said, "If you shake, you will fall". No tie offs ever. Never even saw one. Job had to be done and none of us were going to be warm and dry until completed.

25 yrs later, I take a few seconds to secure and consider everything around me before I climb a simple ladder.

Good Luck all.
                            Last edited by tigerscowboy; 12-07-2017, 10:48 AM.

Comment

I get scared in small tripods nowadays. Had a rotted owl poop floor give out in a deer blind suddenly when i was a teenager. I was lucky and grabbed a window with one hand and my rifle with the other. At 55 I would be hitting the ground with my rifle bouncing all around. Legdog has always been the climber of the family. I am suspicious over every step and every weld Ive ever made. I dont know anything about wearing a harness but should learn. I dont know how many times Ive heard of old men falling off roofs or ladders or whatever

Comment

Always use a harness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X