Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking About Coming off the Rage, What head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been thinking about picking up some black hornets to shoot in Jan when I get back to Pipe Creek. Going to try to shoot one with a Rage hypo +p...Both in 125gr.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
      Do you shoot the hornets?
      Mostly stingers, killed 2 elk and 15 deer in the last 5 years. I like the hornets too. Just tried them once and son took them. Magnus also replaces for free any head you damage. Seriously they will.
      This weekend had a deer turn towards me just as I released and blew threw both shoulders and broke the off leg.

Comment

Ramcats are still a large cut than the Magnus heads and that is going cut to cut, not total cutting blades including the 4 blades as opposed to the 3 blades on a Ramcat.

Ramcat 100 grain heads, 1 3/8" cut.
        Ramcat 125 grain heads, 1 1/2" cut.

A Magnus will not open a 1 1/2" cut in width!

Comment

My father in law and his buddies went to Africa a few yrs back together I believe they shot 30 some odd animals all but one got a complete pass through on 100gr Exodus.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

It's possible that many are overthinking, and overcomplicating killing deer with the bow and arrow.
            I shoot a 390 grain arrow out of a 64lb bow at roughly 280 fps, and the only thing that keeps my arrow from blowing through any whitetail deer or average sized pigs is shot placement.
            My FOC is roughly 11-12%, and it has never mattered whether I shot a fixed, or mechanical of various brands.
            I'm very fortunate to have a wife that bowhunts, and her set-up keeps everything in perspective for me,(and my customers).
            Lindy has a 25" draw length, shoots 42-46 lbs depending on how her shoulder is doing, Arrow weighs 290 grains and her broadhead is an 85 grain Slick Trick.
            With this set-up, she can shoot thru the shoulders of any average whitetail, and can absolutely destroy any deer if she gets a quartering away shot.
            She has killed several with an 85 grain mechanical also.
            The last 2 years, she has killed a buck that grosses 135 or thereabouts, and one will easily make P&Y, and I think the other will be very close.
            Whitetail deer are built fairly fragile, and don't require a lot of killing.

Comment

I have stated many times before that my pick is Montec G5 and I like the carbon steel over the stainless. I have killed my share of big Kansas bucks and African animals. Nothing but good luck with these heads.

Comment

I took a lot of the factors out of it when I went to Heavy arrows with more FOC. I shoot micro diameter (.166) VAP Elite 300 Spine with 90gr SS outserts getting me around 500gr and ~15% FOC. They hit like a Hammer! I hunt big KS deer too and that’s the reason I upped my weight and went with a more powerful bow (~300fps with 500gr arrow). I didn’t want “bone or accidental bad shot” to rid me of a big deer. My 160” I killed this year was a 43yd complete pass through with arrow about 10-15yds passed him with a Rage Chisel Extreme 2.3”. I want biggest cut I can get with 2 holes thus my setup. I also practice out to 80-100yds myself so practice and shot placement are key, but my confidence went up knowing if I err forward I’m still gonna get into the vitals with my setup. FWIW my options for fixed would be Exodus, SerRazor, Ramcats or Shuttle T... Good Luck on axis hunt and finding setup that works for you
                Last edited by mdnabors; 12-05-2017, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Keep the rages. Up your arrow weight and arrow spine accordingly.

Comment

Grim reaper 1 3/8” expandables and the GR hybrids have worked really well for me.

Comment

Rages are junk

Get a broadhead that will penetrate...slick trick, magnus, muzzy, etc.

Comment

Lol

Comment

Couple Slick trick blood trails

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

How about best of both? Bloodsport grave digger

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt125 View Post
                              How about best of both? Bloodsport grave digger

Lol...nothing like adding a parachute behind your broadhead...physics is a ***** [emoji51]

Do y’all not realize that the OP is trying to increase penetration?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                                125 or 100 grain Ramcat. You will thank me later. 1 3/8" on the 100 and1 1/2' 0n the 125. They cut some wicked holes.
                                this

use 100gr heads and 125 blades

im out

Comment

Working...
                                X