Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KJustice View Post
    Hot wire or live trap are non lethal options

And if you have delt with chicken killing dogs, you will know that those options have very little success possibility.
    The OP is NOT responsible for using non lethal means to protect his livestock. Live traps, hot wires, chemical deterants are just feel good moves. He has told the owners, they are aware. If it continues, the only way to ensure no further loss is killing those dogs when they do it again.

Comment

Choot em jacob

Comment

Get a pit bull, those dogs would be dead if they came in my yard. On the other hand the chickens would be dead to too though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Dan View Post
          Get a pit bull, those dogs would be dead if they came in my yard. On the other hand the chickens would be dead to too though.
          The 2 dogs that are doing this are pit bulls

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
            The 2 dogs that are doing this are pit bulls
            Well that explains it. The pits will never stop hunting no matter the peaceful alternatives you try to use. If the neighbor will not take care of his animals you have to do what you have to do. My pit is my baby and I would do anything to protect her, if your neighbor does not care I question his character.

Comment

Kill the dogs and move on.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by Bci2nd View Post
                Guys,

It is not LEGAL to kill the dog. The penal code does not list legal actions. It only lists illegal ones. The killing of the dog is clearly listed as illegal in the penal code. The penal code only lists shooting to protect livestock as a defense to prosecution.

You could very well be charged for doing it. It is NOT legal.

There is a term, “you can beat the rap but you cant beat the ride”

You might be found not guilty but you could very well be arrested for it.

Respectfully disagree. As stated in the Penal Code it is perfectly legal to stop the threat. In this case, roaming dogs trespassing on this man's property and killing his livestock justify doing what he has to do to stop it. It's just sad that the dog owners won't take the appropriate action in the first place. They basically leave the livestock (chicken) owner no choice and that's not right.

Although I am a fan of the dead chicken tied around the dog's neck trick first. And be sure to video it.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                  They just said the that they were sorry this happened. I truly believe they were, but there dogs continue to run wild and this continues . I forgot to mention that I live in the country, it not in a neighborhood.
                  They were sorry that it happened but not sorry enough to do anything about it.

Legal, or otherwise do not threaten to take it into your own hands. Do what you think is right and leave it for them to figure out the rest. And don't post any LDP's. You might get a visit.

Maybe their dogs just ran off and found a new home.

Comment

Give you neighbor a call or even better go talk face to face and let him know, in a polite ,understanding, adult manner, that if he doesn't take steps to take care of the problem you will. After that, you catch the dogs after your chickens, kill 'em. I mean, just like stated above. They must have ran off and found a new home.Done.
                    Last edited by whakm; 12-05-2017, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spro View Post
                      I guess I'm just a softy and the minority on this one. IMHO, loosing a $5 chicken or two is not a good reason to kill a family dog unless all other measures to protect your chickens have been taken. Talk to the neighbors first and see if they are willing to put up an electric fence and or other measures to keep the dog from the chickens. Dogs will be dogs. You may have the right to shoot the dog but you and the dog owner also have to live with that decision. Having a good relationship with your neighbor would me more important to me.
                      While I agree, a little, chickens are worth a lot more than $5. The ones we had were $40+ at laying age. One dog could easily kill all of our 50 hens in the afternoon while I was at work. At your $5 a pop that's $250, at the more realistic amount of $40 each we're looking at quite a bit more. Now figure in the loss of income for eggs, chicks, etc..

God bless and happy hunting.
                      Richard

Comment

Advice to this point is spot on. Sherriff will say to deal with it. SSS works reliably.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                          Respectfully disagree. As stated in the Penal Code it is perfectly legal to stop the threat. In this case, roaming dogs trespassing on this man's property and killing his livestock justify doing what he has to do to stop it. It's just sad that the dog owners won't take the appropriate action in the first place. They basically leave the livestock (chicken) owner no choice and that's not right.

Although I am a fan of the dead chicken tied around the dog's neck trick first. And be sure to video it.
                          The penal code does not give your permission to do anything. The penal code only lists illegal activities. If it NOT listed in the penal code than it is legal.

Im not saying that he cant shoot the dog. Im saying that it is not legal and he could still have to run the course of the legal system for doing so as a “defense to prosecution” is simply just that. He could still very much be arrested and forced to defend himself in court.

The same as defending against a human predator, no matter how justified, you could still be forced to defend your actions.

Im not speaking from opinion but from professional experience and Im not trying to prove anyone wrong.

Those that are saying it is legal arent “wrong” but theyre also not right.

The correct term to use, especially in “use of force” situations where the smallest details matter, is “justified” or “justifiable”.

The action, even though justifiable, is still illegal.

Comment

...No sir, I aint seen your chicken killing POS dog...recently!

Comment

Make a police report first so there is evidence of the dog killing your livestock. If the dog comes back do ehat you have to do. Thats what we did and the sheriff said we did what we had to do legally

Comment

If my dog got loose and killed a neighbors chickens, the only thing I would hope for is to maybe get the collar back, to use on the next dog. I would then get live with the guilt of not caring enough about my pet, as to put their well-being in jeopardy.

cricman

Comment

Working...
                                X