Gravity Protein Feeder is Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gravity Protein Feeder is Up!

Got my feeder set up this last weekend. Started with about a half a bag of regular corn in the funnels first with some on the ground to attract them and switch them off the spin feeder. Then I put about a half a bag of corn/roasted soy bean mix. Then I alternated and mixed DD and the corn/roasted soy bean mix to fill it. I hope they take to the new feeder. I put the tubes at 39" off the ground. Some said 36" and Banks says 42" so I kinda split the difference. I think its high enough to let the deer eat and keep the coons away. I put a decorative vinyl fence post sleeve over the 4x4. It's slick so hopefully they can't climb it to get to the tubes. If they do I will try something else. I plan on getting a plot of Iron Clay Peas in around my feeder zone this weekend. I'll post some new pics when its done.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Buckslayertx; 03-06-2017, 10:40 AM.

Nice setup!

Get some Duke Traps! Coons will piggy back one another to get to the tubes. Sorry bastages can find a way into anything.

Comment

I swear coons can jump 6ft with a tool belt

Comment

Nice setup! How many pounds does she hold?

Comment

It holds 275lbs. I used 4 - 40lb bags of protein, 3 - 50lb bags of corn/roasted soy bean, and 1/4 bag of corn.

Comment

I like that feeder. Did I miss the brand?
            I would try some 4-5" schedule 40 pvc on that center pole.
            Did it with a bird feeder once and it worked.

Comment

Who makes that feeder? Is it plastic?

Comment

It's a Banks Outdoors feeder. It sets on a 4x4 post or even a tree that's been cut off of a similar diameter. It is a heavy molded plastic. The feeder itself however isn't that heavy. I lifted it up onto the 4x4 by myself. I would guess its around 50lbs or so. It's durable / weatherproof and well made. Super simple to put together. It's a 275# model I got off SG on sale for $209. I think they've upgraded to a 300# model now. It has a latching lid that catches a lip on the lid to hold it tight. If I had more land or need I would definitely buy another. The tubes are adjustable for flow and are mounted by two wing nuts inside the tube. Each tube has a small wall at the end to hold the feed in and a hole drilled in the bottom for any moisture to drain if it collects in the mouth of the tube. Hope the description helps. Thanks for looking and commenting.

Comment

Nice setup.

Comment

Eventually a molded plastic feeder will have a hole drilled in the side by a squirrel. Had one that lasted a year and another only a few weeks. It will happen....
                    Boss Buck is the only polymer feeder that hasn't had a hole chewed in the side for me, butt they chewed out the inside of the tube cone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've never seen a squirrel on my camera or at me feeder while I was there. I guess I'll watch out for that.

Comment

Nice feeder. Great idea

Comment

Quick update. Went up to do a couple of plots and checked the cam. Not very encouraging. Granted the owner has been in with a dozer doing some work, but only had crows, rabbits, and coons. No coons climbing or grabbing the tubes. No deer though. Hope the property settles down and the plots help. Need them to hit that gravity feeder. I'll drop it down a couple of inches if I need too.

Comment

I've seen those feeders for sale at the old feed store in McKinney

Comment

Good looking setup

Comment

Working...
                              X