Information on Deer with Abscess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Information on Deer with Abscess

I'm looking for any information that would be helpful regarding a buck with what looks like an abscess or possible impacted tooth and how it will affect his lifespan.

We have watched this buck for the last 3 years, (he is definitely older than that), this spring we noticed the abscess, and it is still there as of this morning. We have not taken him because the deer in this area need his good genetics (not high fence). My father was planning on letting him have one more year to procreate, but we are now considering taking him now. It seems to have affected his left eye, and he chews differently (for obvious reasons).

I am looking to find out if this is just something that happens and he can overcome it, and if this is the case, is there anything we can put in the feeders to assist him....or if this is something that will make him suffer and result in him dying in the woods somewhere and wasting the meat.

Greatly appreciate any data or information!!
    I have pictures, but I'm not sure how to include them here.

Thank you!
    Last edited by dame0608; 10-18-2010, 06:32 PM.

do you have a pic of him?

Comment

one of my baby breeder bucks developed an infection on his throat that grew eventually into the size of a tennis ball..I thought it would kill him..I darted him twice with antibiotics..took my sister to take his picture and right in front of us he scratched at it and it exploded...he is fine now but has a wicked throat scar and he is smaller than he would have been IMO...good luck either way

Comment

Debbie, email sara the pics and I'll upload them for you. That'll get some opinions

Comment

Pics

Comment

Not sure if he would survive on his own or not but with any kind of major infection I would not be eating any part of him

Only thing I could think of would be to dart him and lance it or otherwise remove the impaction. Pretty sure that would not be legal but not sure

Comment

An abcess if fairly common in deer(or any species for that matter). They don't have dentists. I think the deer will live as they are resilient. If you think he won't, then wait until after the rut and go ahead and take him. He has bred for 3 or 4 seasons and most definitely passed on his genes.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                An abcess if fairly common in deer(or any species for that matter). They don't have dentists. I think the deer will live as they are resilient. If you think he won't, then wait until after the rut and go ahead and take him. He has bred for 3 or 4 seasons and most definitely passed on his genes.
                x2

IF you think he won't make it. Let him breed, then take him.

Comment

Thanks Kevin for uploading the pics and thank you to all for the helpful information.

Comment

Name him Beechnut.......

Comment

It's Mad Cow for sure

Comment

Working...
                      X