Broadhead tuning - at my wit's end!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sika View Post

Just to be sure...what am I looking at here...this *is* vane contact, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes! Is that an HDX or a Hunter? Cock vane up??

Edit: Just saw it's up but that contact looks like it would have had to have been cock vane down at some point?
    Last edited by Fishndude; 10-12-2017, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post

Edit: Just saw it's up but that contact looks like it would have had to have been cock vane down at some point?
      That what I was thinking from looking at the marks on the rest. Mine hits if I turn the cock vane down.

Comment

Just send Rod to get you a new, fully rigged bow, new release, new arrows and new broadheads.

This one is obviously worn out!

Comment

Get a Vapor Trail Limb Driver rest and problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
            Sika I can help. But last time I tried you basically told me to get lost. So I don't mind helping. But pm me if you do
            Maybe I read that wrong,but it kind of reminds me of a creepy facebook comment!lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

From looking at the pics of her rest, it is obvious that her vanes are hitting the rest before it drops. However, they will be hitting the rest whether she is shooting broadheads or fieldpoints, so wouldnt the effect be the same and if the bow is tuned right, shouldnt they still impact at the same point (although it is the wrong point). Why would the broadhead hit so much lower? Just trying to understand that part.

Comment

one of the reasons I don't like rest that you can "lock" in the up position. I'll take the old Shaky Hunter any day

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                  From looking at the pics of her rest, it is obvious that her vanes are hitting the rest before it drops. However, they will be hitting the rest whether she is shooting broadheads or fieldpoints, so wouldnt the effect be the same and if the bow is tuned right, shouldnt they still impact at the same point (although it is the wrong point). Why would the broadhead hit so much lower? Just trying to understand that part.
                  Broadhead will magnify any stability issue.

I usually paper tune, then bare shaft tune, then will broadhead tune.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                    I'm sure she will be just fine without his help.
                    I'm sure she will and it looks like she is well on her way to a good hunting season. I was just contacted by a few people to help. I do not get on tbh much anymore. Have a great hunting season
                    Last edited by enewman; 10-12-2017, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Plenty of good advice so far.

To set the timing on the rest perfectly it is best to have a draw board.
                      Start with the rest activation cord tied in to the cable at, or just below, the bottom of the grip of the bow.
                      Draw the bow on the draw board and adjust the activation cable so that the rest is coming to the fully upright position in the last inch of the draw cycle (or less).

This will give the rest the maximum time to get out of the way.

Make sure the rest isn't bouncing off the shelf when fired and making contact that way.

Ensure that the arrow is level on the string at 90° with the rest in full upright position.

Then paper tune or bareshaft tune, then broadhead tune.

Comment

tail kicks up at the end of it's travel and now steers down. I don't think tuning will do anything until you eliminate contact. I shoot that rest vane down and it clear.

My suggestion either bare shaft or also powder the vane to make sure it's hitting (which i'm pretty sure it is).

I'd either remove the rest and start over with the same rest or consider another. Thats a good rest i've used it on a number of bows and a number of times.

Comment

Here is why...
                          Let's say that the arrow leaves the bow in a tail high condition.
                          With a field tip the arrow will correct this attitude via the fletching's stabilization effect.

With a broadhead though, since we also have steering vanes on the front of the shaft, the arrow will actually plane downward to some degree before it is stabilized by the fletching.

With a bareshaft and a field tip the arrow will get no stabilizing effect and will continue to fly in a tail high attitude. This is why we bareshaft tune. When the arrow impacts the target we can then infer what it is doing in flight and make corrections.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                            Yes! Is that an HDX or a Hunter? Cock vane up??

I normally do shoot it with the cock vane up. Recently someone suggested turning the cock vane to the 1 or 2 o'clock position for better clearance so I've been doing it that way. The marks on the QAD can't be from the cock vane. They must be from one of the bottom vanes.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to mess with the vane position, making sure it's at 12 oclock and shoot through paper again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                              I normally do shoot it with the cock vane up. Recently someone suggested turning the cock vane to the 1 or 2 o'clock position for better clearance so I've been doing it that way. The marks on the QAD can't be from the cock vane. They must be from one of the bottom vanes.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to mess with the vane position, making sure it's at 12 oclock and shoot through paper again.
                              If you are trying to find the culprit coating a vane (1 at a time) with a spray powder like release agent or deodorant will help with it.

Comment

Your rest timing is off.

Oops.....I see Rat covered that in post #40
                                Last edited by Traildust; 10-12-2017, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X