Backpack or.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backpack or.....

Ok I couldn't bring myself to say Fanny in the subject title. I might have just decided to buy a fanny pack with the straps over the shoulder. How many of you guys use this type of pack over a backpack and why?

I like them because they don't push down as much on my pants. The only problem I've found is if you of the vertically challenged group like myself you find that many models you cannot shorten the straps far enough to keep the pack on your hip points like it should be.

Comment

pic or it doesn't count...or because I just wanna know what the heck a fanny pack with shoulder straps even looks like. you talking about a hulk Hogan type fanny pack?

Comment

Link to a good one.

Comment

If you're just heading to a stand or blind and the weather is mild where you don't take a lot of extra clothes a haversack is sure handy. I've got a Bison Gear I use a lot. Easy off easy on. Daughter calls it my hunting purse (and surprisingly I still agree to take her hunting).
          Fanny packs work too (call it a lumbar pack) but they have a lot of straps for minimal capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Check out the badlands monster fanny pack, looks like a great option for a day pack.
            I have an eberlystock one similar but just a little bigger. I love it. Use it 99 % of the time.

Comment

I use a shoulder strap bag, I'm already carrying my climber on my back. I have strapped a backpack to the climber but the whole process is easier with a shoulder strap bag. I think the fanny pack would be even better if it can accommodate your stuff.

Comment

I just bought the ascent 12 from Sitka. It's very comfortable and I can strap my bow to it

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Arra View Post
                  If you're just heading to a stand or blind and the weather is mild where you don't take a lot of extra clothes a haversack is sure handy. I've got a Bison Gear I use a lot. Easy off easy on. Daughter calls it my hunting purse (and surprisingly I still agree to take her hunting).
                  Fanny packs work too (call it a lumbar pack) but they have a lot of straps for minimal capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  I have an OLD waterfowling bag that's almost the same thing, I've carried it for years.

Comment

I always say, use what works for YOU.

My first couple years, I carried a backpack. A small Game Winner backpack for $10 or something like that. The thing I didn't like about it was sweating with it on as I'd walk to my stand (I often time walk 1/2 mile to our stands.)

Last 2 years, I switched to a simple fanny pack, not a fancy one. I picked up a soft one from Bass Pro (Redhead brand) for like $15. I also had wanted to go minimal. The problem came whenever I wanted to shed a layer of clothing. The pack was enough to carry a bottle of water, my license, some hand pruners, range finder. Another problem was trying to carry out hand corn, etc. One other benefit of the pack was having the ability to carry stuff up front and strap my chair to my back.

I am currently rethinking some this setup yet again. The fanny pack isn't enough, but nothing having to have it on my back is the pro. I find the concept of a lumbar pack kinda odd. You still have to strap it to your back and mess with shoulder straps etc. You might has well have a backpack at that point because if you need to load more, you have the structure to load up your back than swinging from your hips.

I am considering 2 options. Option 1 is to just convert back to a pack, but one with MOLLE so I can start with a small pack and tweak as the season progresses. This is what I am testing out for an high country hunt where my day pack needs to be a little more robust than my typical fanny pack. If I go that route, then I will have to buy chairs for all my blinds rather than carrying one there. We've pretty much have always carried out chairs out to our blinds, but we could have just kept some out there (one less thing to carry.) The 2nd option would be to modify my chair pack to add MOLLE so I can attach pack accessories to it.

The thing that bugs me is for whatever reason, when I see MOLLE style bags, it just doesn't fit well with how I like to walk through the woods. It looks and feels tacticool, and the fabric is stiff and the velcro is noisy. But I am giving it a chance, because I don't want to ignore something that might work out well for me.

Comment

I'd say depending on your application? I have a camo backpack that I carry when I hunt. Other than that, I don't have anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a Badlands Monster pack. I bought it for elk hunting and it stuck. Big enough to carry all you need, and small enough that you don't overload it with non-essentials. Make sure you get one that fits well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

back pack all the way !!! didn't like the fanny pack , felt kinda weird.

Comment

I use a dove hunting belt with big pouches and with water bottle

Comment

I hate backpacks. I also don't carry one more thing than I need to. On most hunts, I use a handmuff like QB's use, only this one has pockets built onto it.

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                              X