No announcement yet.

Interview with victim of Wyoming bear attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't post it here but google wes perkins bear attack in Alaska. He lost his entire face in a grizzly attack. Pic are very graphic to say the least. They seem to focus on the head and face.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
      I there with you MadHatter. I wouldn't want to hunt in Grizz country with someone that wouldn't commit to helping me if we are attacked. Heck, that is the reason I hunt with someone in Grizz country in the first place!

The Florida dude was a coward. Pure and simple.
      Not sure why you want to keep calling the man a coward. You don't know all the facts or what his guide may have instructed him to do. Or what you would do in the same situation. You think you know.
      The bravest guys I know don't tell you how bad they are and what they would do if this or that happens.

Comment

I there with you MadHatter. I wouldn't want to hunt in Grizz country with someone that wouldn't commit to helping me if we are attacked. Heck, that is the reason I hunt with someone in Grizz country in the first place!

The Florida dude was a coward. Pure and simple.
        Interesting perspective, pulled from a horse, swung around and all probably within 20 seconds from initial encounter.

I’d probably restrain from calling a man in a situation via facts you know second hand and in a situation you never been in a coward.

All around tragedy, nothing more nothing less

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
          Not sure why you want to keep calling the man a coward. You don't know all the facts or what his guide may have instructed him to do. Or what you would do in the same situation. You think you know.
          The bravest guys I know don't tell you how bad they are and what they would do if this or that happens.
          We do know most of the story. The guy tossed him a gun, knew it didn't make it to him, and the last he saw of the guide he was not only alive but still on his feet.

This story does irritate me more than things on the interwebs usually do. I have hunted twice in AK and 5 times in MT for a couple of months combined total in the Grizzly backwoods. Fear of Grizzlies has come up. It has been discussed by me personally over many an actual backwoods campfire.

Everyone is scared of Grizzlies. That is why most of us hunt with a buddy in Grizz country and don't get seperated beyond hearing distance. This dude broke the code. He left his hunting partner when he needed him.

In this day and age of baseless accusations, wildly prejudicial opinions and super arrogant and braggadocious personalities I am right there with you and disliking and even disdaining rushes to judgment.

The guy in question here, by his own admission, admits to the very definition of cowardice. Even an inclination against prejudice should conclude that cowardice is, by definition, cowardice.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
            If the guide instructed him? Seems like that's the first thing you would mention, after saying you ran away.....
            And I'm not tooting my own horn, or saying I'm brave. This has nothing to do with bravery, or being a bad*****. Obviously it all flew right over your head.
            This is about another humans life, it's about morality, decency, and doing what you hope someone would do for you. So saying I know what I would do, has nothing to do with being tough.
            My 5ft grandmother, would have charged that bear with her hands, to save one of her sons, without a second thought. My father would have done it for me, or my mother. I suppose since he didn't know the guy, it's cool though. Would y'all stand up for one of your kids, or do you not know? Does love make that decision for you?
            And this argument is playing out, based on what we know and how it appears. So far as I've seen or heard nothing shows otherwise, so we are arguing a specific scenario.

Comment

We do know most of the story. The guy tossed him a gun, knew it didn't make it to him, and the last he saw of the guide he was not only alive but still on his feet.

This story does irritate me more than things on the interwebs usually do. I have hunted twice in AK and 5 times in MT for a couple of months combined total in the Grizzly backwoods. Fear of Grizzlies has come up. It has been discussed by me personally over many an actual backwoods campfire.

Everyone is scared of Grizzlies. That is why most of us hunt with a buddy in Grizz country and don't get seperated beyond hearing distance. This dude broke the code. He left his hunting partner when he needed him.

In this day and age of baseless accusations, wildly prejudicial opinions and super arrogant and braggadocious personalities I am right there with you and disliking and even disdaining rushes to judgment.

The guy in question here, by his own admission, admits to the very definition of cowardice. Even an inclination against prejudice should conclude that cowardice is, by definition, cowardice.
              Touche. Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                If the guide instructed him? Seems like that's the first thing you would mention, after saying you ran away.....
                And I'm not tooting my own horn, or saying I'm brave. This has nothing to do with bravery, or being a bad*****. Obviously it all flew right over your head.
                This is about another humans life, it's about morality, decency, and doing what you hope someone would do for you. So saying I know what I would do, has nothing to do with being tough.
                My 5ft grandmother, would have charged that bear with her hands, to save one of her sons, without a second thought. My father would have done it for me, or my mother. I suppose since he didn't know the guy, it's cool though. Would y'all stand up for one of your kids, or do you not know? Does love make that decision for you?
                And this argument is playing out, based on what we know and how it appears. So far as I've seen or heard nothing shows otherwise, so we are arguing a specific scenario.

Simple question. Your deep sea fishing and you buddy falls over and is attacked by a great white. What do you do? Do you jump in after him? Do you do your best to save him while not getting in the water? I can be honest and say I am not jumping in. What does that make me?

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                  Simple question. Your deep sea fishing and you buddy falls over and is attacked by a great white. What do you do? Do you jump in after him? Do you do your best to save him while not getting in the water? I can be honest and say I am not jumping in. What does that make me?
                  Apples and oranges. I tell you what you DON'T do is fire up the engine and speed away with your buddy still alive and obviously still showing a lot of vitality.

Comment

I just hope the people in charge will look a little closer into all of this! Something stinks about this bear attack!

Comment

Apples and oranges. I tell you what you DON'T do is fire up the engine and speed away with your buddy still alive and obviously still showing a lot of vitality.
                      Exactly!!! The shark might leave, you might have time to grab a bang stick, etc..but as he just said, if you fire up the motor and drive away, you'll never know, and that makes you a coward.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                        What if it was your son or daughter. What's the last thing you would tell them, as they looked you in the eye while getting eaten? Love you baby, wish I could help, stay strong, and I'll see you heaven .

Comment

Exactly!!! The shark might leave, you might have time to grab a bang stick, etc..but as he just said, if you fire up the motor and drive away, you'll never know, and that makes you a coward.
                          You don't sound like the kind of guy that would leave your buddy to fend off a Grizzly by himself unarmed. That is a good thing!

Comment

Say your wade fishing and a great white attacks him. Not apple and oranges in that case.

Comment

I can say I would definitely give up my life fighting a grizzly for one of my kids or loved ones. Would I sacrifice my life to save a guide? I'd do everything I could to help. But two guys being grizzly poop ain't helping him much. Would you jump in front of a train to push a homeless dude out of the way, knowing you'd be killed by the train? I think it does matter your relationship with the person.

Comment

What if it was your son or daughter. What's the last thing you would tell them, as they looked you in the eye while getting eaten? Love you baby, wish I could help, stay strong, and I'll see you heaven .
                                Family is different. Same as war. I'm not leaving the battlefield either. I know what I signed up for. I think both guys made a mistake that day. Only the hunter that is still living knows if he did everything he could to help the guide. I can't judge him for what he did. That's between him and God.

Comment

Working...
                                X