No announcement yet.

Hunting Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good info FC! last oct, we had five days of South wind and almost zero deer movement. A strong Norther was forecast for the 19th. I posted two days ahead that that was the day!!!

Dad drilled his monster ten, Johnys son Colton smoked a monster, and another fellow let the deer of a lifetime get by him. there were so many does in heat the 19th and 20th that the bucks couldnt cover all of them.

It went from dead to the most intense rutting i have ever seen in just a few hours.

Comment

November 13th here in North Texas is a day to be in the woods. Rutting like I haven't seen around that date.

Comment

Ok, so I checked the weather from 2015 on the last buck I killed. He had busted me during archery at full draw and I relocated him across the property during rifle season and set up a tripod on a rub line following along an old road. It was rainy the day I set up the blind and a north front forecasted to move in over night. Connected the next morning.

Weather the day before:
        11-11-2015
        low 58/ High 68
        BP 29.86,
        wind SSW @ 10 w/ 37 mph gust and rain.

Day of:
        11-12-2015
        Low 46/ high 57
        BP @ 30.18 rising
        Wind NW @ 6 mph w/ 21 mph gust in my face.. I remember it felt like 26 degrees and I didn't have enough clothes on.

Moon phase was full with moon rise @ 7:27
        Shot at 7:31

The set up

Last live pic moments before..

No monster by any means but nice small property city buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
          I listened to it again lol. One thing he does that I never thought about is comparing his daylight pics of mature bucks from his game cams to weather history. I have years worth of pics on my laptop that I would like to go through and compare also to see if the trend sticks.

I checked the wunderground.com and it seemed to not give that much information for years past. It was great for a few months. Hope you have better luck with it than I did.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Excellent thread. Note the pattern of big deer getting vulnerable on a significant wind chance. i wrote a post about the Corner Effect and how big deer had to change their position when the wind changed. great info sir.
            X2
            I remember your story Steve and witnessed it soon after as I counted 19 bucks one morning at my property, wind switched from south to a north west and i watched all those bucks reposition themselves from woods on one side of a cow pasture to the woods on the opposite side. Kinda also explains why so many deer are seen/killed when a cold northern hits, when the front hits the wind changes.

Comment

I started going through my past trail camera pics and comparing them to the weather conditions for that day. The first month I have on my laptop is October 2012. I was hunting a really wide buck that year that I had only got one daytime photo of the whole season. I got a picture of him and one other mature buck on the morning of October 27th, 2012.

Wunderground.com shows that for the entire week before the 27th we had a consistent South wind with highs in the 80's and lows in the high 60's. The wind switched to a straight North wind on the afternoon of the 26th and the temp dropped to a low of 33° on the morning of the 27th. The pressure was 29.9 before the front and steadily rose until it peaked at 30.3 on the morning of October 27th.

Comment

I started going through my past trail camera pics and comparing them to the weather conditions for that day. The first month I have on my laptop is October 2012. I was hunting a really wide buck that year that I had only got one daytime photo of the whole season. I got a picture of him and one other mature buck on the morning of October 27th, 2012.

Wunderground.com shows that for the entire week before the 27th we had a consistent South wind with highs in the 80's and lows in the high 60's. The wind switched to a straight North wind on the afternoon of the 26th and the temp dropped to a low of 33° on the morning of the 27th. The pressure was 29.9 before the front and steadily rose until it peaked at 30.3 on the morning of October 27th.

It works!! That's pretty cool. I'll try and track my sightings this year

Comment

Seth did you ever look back at the temp trends we talked about? Curious if you saw the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                    Seth did you ever look back at the temp trends we talked about? Curious if you saw the same thing?

There was a definite pattern in temperature change but on a couple occasions the temp actually increased. One thing I did notice with the temperature when looking at the monthly graph is that on many of the days where I killed one, or had a lot of activity, the difference in the high and low temp for that day was very minimum compared to other days.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

There was a definite pattern in temperature change but on a couple occasions the temp actually increased. One thing I did notice with the temperature when looking at the monthly graph is that on many of the days where I killed one, or had a lot of activity, the difference in the high and low temp for that day was very minimum compared to other days.

Interesting stuff. All good discussion on this thread. The more pieces of the puzzle we get the more efficient we can be.

Comment

If the forecast stays true, Tuesday evening the 10th and Wednesday the 11th is the first time the patterns I am watching for will show up this season. The wind shows to switch to the North sometime during the day Tuesday so I will be in my best spot that evening, I also took off work to hunt the following morning. It doesn't look like it will be a very strong front but it may be enough to change things up in the woods. We will see.

Last edited by EastTx; 10-06-2017, 08:12 AM.

Comment

If the forecast stays true, Tuesday evening the 10th and Wednesday the 11th is the first time the patterns I am watching for will show up this season. The wind shows to switch to the North sometime during the day Tuesday so I will be in my best spot that evening, I also took off work to hunt the following morning. It doesn't look like it will be a very strong front but it may be enough to change things up in the woods. We will see.

Durn it, that “front” is looking a lot weaker than they let on.
                          I done set my climber our 22yds away from the only scrape I’ve found this year. Gonna be a sweaty ordeal working a climber at 63*.

Comment

Looking at my forecast and I'm hunting public land, would you hunt tomorrow morning or afternoon? Looks like we are getting a little front tomorrow, then it flips back to hot, then the coldest night so far on Tuesday. Not taking days off in October. Waiting for November for that. I've got a couple of hang one to setup or my climber.

Comment

EastTx... I'm already on it! I was thinkin the same thing, this will be our first legitimate "movement" front of the season. And yes, like you, I'll be there, and have also entertained the thought of taking off Weds: Another thing that I always factor in, deer have "summer coats" and "winter coats" for a reason, and when they transition to their winter coats, it's EVEN MORE uncomfortable for them to move during daylight hours when you have summer temps in the "fall". Which may "shift" them to the coolest, most comfortable time to move, probably not shootin light! Just a thought. I know I ain't going outside today with a hoodie on! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Makes me kinda want to keep a journal in the blind now

Comment

Working...
                                X