• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread!!

Comment

More, more, please!!!

Comment

Originally posted by clintb View Post
        The rancher can charge you what is current market for the bull and the money that could of been made off the bulls services for 2-3 years.
        He can charge the same current price for the cow and for the calves she would have had for 2-3 years.

This is why they cost so much when things like this happen from what ive been told by ranchers
        Yep, it's not the receipt price of the cow/bull. It's how much it's gonna cost to replace it and how much money you lost from future calves.
        Most of the time we buy our bulls and heifers young, then feed them out ourselves. This not only gives us control of how well they're fed while maturing, but also tends to gentle them down quite a bit since you are interacting with them every day.
        All of that feed and time quickly adds up and will definitely go into the replacement cost if someone is stupid enough to shoot one.

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
        When I hear about mistakes I always think about this thread...

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=113141
        That must've been a good one, it's deleted now.

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
        Don't think I would have let that one go. 11 yrs old is mature/knowledgable enough to know how to tell a female from a male. Daddy would have been paying for that bull. Sounds like the girl thought she would not get in trouble since she was there for a cow hunt and knew she was killing a bull when she shot.
        Probably wouldn't have said anything in front of the kid, but dad would've definitely been writing a check.

Comment

After reading all these stories, I'd have to question the the validity of some of these so called "friends". To me it's pretty cut and dry, you shoot what you are supposed to shoot and that's it. If you don't like it, pound sand. I've had the privilege to hunt on many different ranches with absolute monsters. Some I got to shoot, and others that I couldn't, not once did I break the rules. I value the friendships of the folks that invited me and never wanted to break their trust. Because of that, I continually have been invited back and taken bigger animals every time. These stories are precisely why most land owners are apprehensive about letting people hunt their land.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexdeer19 View Post
            I guided my brother in law on a management buck near Laredo. We got it on film, and he was pumped to have a nice 6.5 135 inch 10 point. We were allowed two bucks on this ranch so now it was time for me to start focusing on a trophy. I put my b-I-l in a blind and told him to shoot a hog or javelina. I guess I forgot to specify not to shoot another buck as he should of known I only got two bucks. A few minutes later, he calls and stated he has another buck down but only this one was bigger. I asked if he was joking and sure enough it was no joke. He had a beautiful 10 point laying on the ground which about made me throw-up. He asked if I was mad and I said no bc its my fault for letting you hunt by yourself. I also stated that my hunting season was done for the year. He keeps asking when he can go hunting again, but I always have a good excuse ready.

Moral of the story: don't let guest sit by themselves. It's your fault if they mess up.
            I would have made him pay for that years lease dues. or walk home.....

Comment

Originally posted by BBRU View Post
              After reading all these stories, I'd have to question the the validity of some of these so called "friends". To me it's pretty cut and dry, you shoot what you are supposed to shoot and that's it. If you don't like it, pound sand. I've had the privilege to hunt on many different ranches with absolute monsters. Some I got to shoot, and others that I couldn't, not once did I break the rules. I value the friendships of the folks that invited me and never wanted to break their trust. Because of that, I continually have been invited back and taken bigger animals every time. These stories are precisely why most land owners are apprehensive about letting people hunt their land.
              Very well said. I ended a hunting relationship last year with a guy I have hunted with off and on for 30 years over some crap just like these stories. Total disrespect for my property and rules. I posted about it last year although I left the worst of the details out. the bottom line is, I now KNOW I cant trust him so that just carries over into everything else too. I don't need friends I cant trust.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                That's something I've never seen before. Any other does like that, or was she the only one?
                I have shot a doe in Nacogdoches Co. that has bumps like that

Comment

TTT!! This is a great thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
                    Have one that not really a guest hunter and is more sad than stupid. Was on a youth hunt years ago at Kerr WMA and before the hunt they spent 30 minutes showing everyone what was and wasn't OK to shoot. They spent 10 minutes on one 2.5yr old with antlers messed up on one side they thought was probably damaged on early development. The other side was beautiful and they want everyone to leave it to see its potential next year. They showed pictures of it from every angle.

After the next morning hunt I was showing the biologists the video of a 13 pt 2.5yr old we passed on when a father/daughter show up with "the" buck we were all told not to shoot. The staff was none too happy. The dad showed us the video he was shooting at the time. What happened was 2 bucks walked out at same time. Daughter sees the off limits buck and is watching through scope and dad sees a mature buck and is watching through camera. Neither sees the other buck. You hear dad tell her to shoot it and hear her saying "but Dad! It's the wrong one". He says shoot it again and again she says "but Dad!" He tells her once again to shoot so she does and the buck in the camera doesn't fall and you hear the daughter say "I got it" and then start to cry and say it was the wrong buck. About this time the dad realizes what just happened and says "Oh No!!" and turns camera off. It was sad to see that deer taken too soon and to see that poor girl's hunt turn from joy to sorrow.
                    This is sad, but it is also sad that the "potential" of what a ****ed deer could be ruined an otherwise special day for this little girl. If it's a grown A S S man it's one thing, but a kid should be given some slack.

Comment

Originally posted by BBRU View Post
                      This is well said.

Comment

Let a guy shoot a meat buck mule deer and acctually showed him a picture of the deer not to shoot and told him it was a 12 point. Well the guy shoots it and told me he was used to hunting mulies in Arizona and he thought I was talking about a 12x12. Deer probably scored in the 170's and needless to say he wasint welcomed back.
                        Last edited by sandhillslayer; 11-18-2013, 03:43 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Ttt. Need some new ones to read. First time I have ever read a complete thread that was this long.

Comment

One simple instruction don't shoot a Muflon. They get back that night all happy about the "ram" they shot. Guess i should have asked if they knew what a Muflon was.

Comment

Here is the rack to the deer I took. My dad surprised me by staining them it's dad, what can I say.

My size ten shoe for refrence

With a .270 round for reference

Comment

I guess. We all have stories..
                                My dad was the lease manager on a ranch in Roosevelt. Rules were 8PT or better. 2 Bucks 2 Does. The ranch had a trap pasture near the front that was to never be hunted. Period. Well I was walking a draw near that pasture and jumped a big buck and he ran and jumped into the trap. I could see the other side of the trap and he never came out. So I sat down and waited. After a little while I grabbed my rattling horns and hit them together. As soon as I did I saw a buck get up and start running in my direct from that trap. When he hit the fence row I shot and folded him right next to the fence, on the wrong side. I was pumped and went down to collect my beast... Well my best was a perfect 6pt. 3x3 all of 18mo at the oldest. So I gutted him put him in a jeep. and went to camp took the chewing and was told to never let it happen again. We all make mistakes.
                                Well,
                                That evening I went to my blind and had tons of deer. Right at dark I look up and see an old buck walking down the ridge. I look and see 2 up on each side but with the sun I can not see but one of the brows. But Hey 2 up makes an eight and if they have one brow they always have two. So, I shot. Hey I am on cloud 9 I just killed 2 bucks in one day. I am the great white hunter. I walk over and fine blood. Follow the trail and walk up on an 7pt. 4x3. No brow on the side I could not see. I turned around and walked back to the jeep and went back to camp. I was not going to break the rules twice in one day. When i get back to camp they ask me what I shot. I said nothing I missed a buck. Well that story did not stand up as they all "heard" the shot hit and wanted to help me look. Well after a little grilling I gave in. And told the truth. Well Did I learn a huge lesson about lying and not owning up. We went back got the buck cleaned boxed the deer. The other members were not mad. But that was over to 25 years ago and I can still remember my dads face. It seems like yesterday when I look back.

Comment

Working...
                                X