Rookie AR question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rookie AR question

I'm in the early stages of building an AR in 300blk and I'm wondering. Is there anything I can do/add to I so it will cycle subs? Is there a better caliber for good cycling subsonic rounds? Wasn't sure how to search for this question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16in barrel? Or pistol length?

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
      I'm in the early stages of building an AR in 300blk and I'm wondering. Is there anything I can do/add to I so it will cycle subs? Is there a better caliber for good cycling subsonic rounds? Wasn't sure how to search for this question.

Adjustable gas block with gas hole large enough for subsonics.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAggieB View Post
        16in barrel? Or pistol length?

Sorry, SBR Probly around 11". I don't see me ever shooting without the can.

Comment

Adjustable gas block

Comment

Make sure to get a pistol length gas system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Reload Kit.
              My experience playing with Subs they load them too close to the sound barrier and depending on temperature/elevation you will occasionally get a crack.

Comment

pistol length gas and you'll be good, my 10.5 sbr cycles subs just fine

Comment

I'm looking to do something similar. Would be interested in seeing a post on the build

Comment

Thanks guys. Any other tips or must haves?

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                      Sorry, SBR Probly around 11". I don't see me ever shooting without the can.

I think the can provides additional back pressure which helps cycling subs. I think the barrel gas port needs to be bigger to cycle subs generally, but this can be offset (potentially) by using an adjustable gas block and a carbine weight buffer.

I didn't know any better when I built mine, but it cycled fine so far. I have an 8.5" barrel with a 0.075 gas port, adjustable gas block set to almost closed, and a carbine weight buffer. Cycled supersonics great without much recoil with a suppressor. Have not tried subs yet but I'm hoping I can just open the gas block more to get it to cycle. Going to give it a few hundred rounds of supers first to let everything settle in.

Www.300blktalk.com is also helpful

Comment

my experience... build it 8.5". you'll be able to make your loads a little higher powder loads, which increases the consistency of cycling subsonic rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_Man View Post
                          my experience... build it 8.5". you'll be able to make your loads a little higher powder loads, which increases the consistency of cycling subsonic rounds.

Yea, that's sounds good to me. My can is about 7.5"

Comment

I have a 9" with pistol length gas tube and a heavy buffer spring. It shoots supers with or without the can just fine and subs with the can. Subs without the can are a little hit or miss on function but when shooting subs it will always have the can on it so no need for an adjustable gas block for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              Make sure to get a pistol length gas system.
                              ^^^ This and you shouldn't have any problems. The 300blk was designed to be shot suppressed from short barrels. I don't think I've ever had a FTF or FTE while shooting subs from any of my 300 blk setups.

Comment

Working...
                              X