Bedding an aluminum block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bedding an aluminum block

I have two Tikkas sitting in B&C Medalist stocks with the aluminum bedding block and I want to glass bed them both. Through other searches, there have been mixed reviews, so I’m coming to the TBH gun works braintrust.

Do I

A: Skim bed action on aluminum block and bed recoil lug
    B: Full bed from action to lug
    C: Full bed from action to lug as well as add pillars

I would think the aluminum block itself would be one big pillar, so I dont know about option "C". I would tend to think option "A" would be best. You will need to rough up the aluminum block real good to get a bond from the epoxy.
    Last edited by Radar; 02-05-2018, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
      I would think the aluminum block itself would be one big pillar, so I dont know about option "C". I would tend to think option "A" would be best. You will need to rough up the aluminum block real good to get a bond from the epoxy.
      This was my first thought when thinking through the process.

Comment

A

Comment

"A" that's what i did to my hs precision stock on my 300wsmthat a certain "someone" we both know rebarreled for me. a bad group is 1.25", avg with most hunting loads is .25-.75

Comment

I have the PSSLTR in an HS and have wondered if it was worth doing. Sounds like it is.

Comment

I just bed the recoil luv and things are great.

Comment

Brownells and Midway have some YouTube videos that are worth watching.

Comment

How do they shoot now?

Sent from my XT1687 using Tapatalk

Comment

I would like to see what Stick has to say on this one. If I suspect bedding issues I will typically throw the barreled action in my Orias chassis to see how it shoots. If it stays the same I do not bed, if if tightens up I will bed the lug area. Most of my stocks have a mini-chassis, if yours do not I would pillar bed them all and not look back!

Comment

Originally posted by cwd500 View Post
                      How do they shoot now?

Sent from my XT1687 using Tapatalk
                      Both shoot sub 1/2 MOA with my hand loads. Shot my best group last weekend, a .143”, but more often than not, I have the 3rd/4th flyer syndrome and I’m hoping bedding may help the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                        Both shoot sub 1/2 MOA with my hand loads. Shot my best group last weekend, a .143”, but more often than not, I have the 3rd/4th flyer syndrome and I’m hoping bedding may help the issue.
                        my option is if a factory gun is constantly shooting sub .5 moa, I wouldn't mess with it. check your standard deviations of your loads.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                          Sleepy, if they are consistent .5 and you can pull them into .2 do not mess with those guns. Dang man, a .1 is amazing to shoot and see in person from a non bechrest rifle.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                            Sleepy, if they are consistent .5 and you can pull them into .2 do not mess with those guns. Dang man, a .1 is amazing to shoot and see in person from a non bechrest rifle.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

I went ahead and bedded the lugs. Figure it shouldn’t hurt anything. There was definitely some slop at the lug. Anxious to see what happens. Here is that .1 with my .243.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you just have to bed something just the recoil lug. Otherwise leave those gums alone and spend the money you were gonna spend on bedding, on components to shoot more!!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                              X