Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your best trick to remove the gamey taste?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your best trick to remove the gamey taste?

What's your best trick to remove the wild game taste from deer meat?

I know there's something you can buy but I can't remember what it was...

It's called beef. The taste of venison is the reason I like it so much. If you want it to taste any different by some beef.

Comment

I Know my ex didnt like venison so I used to soak it in butter milk. She never knew the difference.

Comment

What is this gamey taste of which you speak? What many people call "gamey" is simply the taste of meat that has not been properly cared for.

Comment

Just keep chicken frying it..... Cause it wasn't made for the grill! IMO Beef is for grilln : )

Comment

Most important: shoot a doe.

If you shoot an old rutting buck, find somebody that makes good sausage and then go out and shoot a doe for steaks.

I process my own most of the time. It's a pain, but I trim off ALL of the fat and connective tissues before vacuum packing and freezing. That gets rid of the wild taste.

I rarely chicken fry venison anymore. We grill it just like beef. It's dry, so don't overcook it. Or, you can wrap some bacon around it to make is juicy. Good stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              Most important: shoot a doe.

If you shoot an old rutting buck, find somebody that makes good sausage and then go out and shoot a doe for steaks.

I process my own most of the time. It's a pain, but I trim off ALL of the fat and connective tissues before vacuum packing and freezing. That gets rid of the wild taste.

I rarely chicken fry venison anymore. We grill it just like beef. It's dry, so don't overcook it. Or, you can wrap some bacon around it to make is juicy. Good stuff!
              X2

Comment

[QUOTE=DrenalinJunkie;931388]I Know my ex didnt like venison so I used to soak it in butter milk. She never knew the difference.

I have always used regular milk but it really helps draw the blood out of the meat. Works great on dove breast also.

Comment

First let your meat sit in the cooler over ice draining the bloody water and adding fresh ice for 3-5 days, this will bleed it out. After that no gamey taste IMO.....tasty!

Comment

Corn!!!
                    Let'em eat corn for a couple months prior to killin one!!

Comment

Process it yourself. It's not that hard. Separate the muscles, cut the "white skin" off and cut it cross grain. Gamey "taste" is just bad meat preparation.

Comment

I've never tasted any gamey taste to my deer meat. I think thats just the way deer tastes. Buy beef.

Comment

Originally posted by Stins View Post
                          First let your meat sit in the cooler over ice draining the bloody water and adding fresh ice for 3-5 days, this will bleed it out. After that no gamey taste IMO.....tasty!
                          I think this is the best thing you can do for your deer.
                          Also, before cooking, remove any and all that white stuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmiccowboy View Post
                            Process it yourself. It's not that hard. Separate the muscles, cut the "white skin" off and cut it cross grain. Gamey "taste" is just bad meat preparation.
                            X2

I also leave them in a ice chest like stins recommended.

Comment

I've never tasted any "gamey" taste in deer meat either.. on the other hand I have in duck meat before... to cure that i just soak it in Coke a cola for a couple hours in the fridge... problem solved!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X