Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Africa Experience - 10 days, 12 animals, Countless New Friends, Memories for Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While not getting the best of sleep, I did manage to sleep longer than any previous night since my trip began. Having the lion hunt completed and the stress of my first Africa animal jitters suppressed.....well slightly anyways, I was excited to begin the plains game hunting.

After eating breakfast and before heading out, I headed over to the range to do a little morning shooting. I had switched bows from my Monster to my Hyperlite because after the lion hunting, I believed the Monster was shooting a little low for whatever reason. To be honest, it may have been the bow or it may have been me and due to stress, anxiety, exhaustion, or whatever EXCUSE I could put here, not sure....as I have yet to shoot it since I've been back, I just know that everything seemed to be shooting lower than normal.

The Hyperlite was shooting fine and I was ready to be off. The nice thing about Africa is that generally speaking, you don't have to be on the travel routes, waterholes, pit blinds, spotting and stalking, or whatever method at the crack at dawn as things tend to move mid morning to early afternoon. We were pretty wide open this early in the game with what we were looking for, and since for the most part, a variety of animals will be at any given location, I was excited to begin.

Just about every morning I kept finding myself going to the wrong side of the truck to get in......the steering wheel on the wrong side as well as the fact they drive on the opposite side really had me messed up all week.
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice mount Bisch!

Comment

Anthony chose a pit blind overlooking a water hole for our first morning hunt. All was quiet for some time after settling into the blind. Eventually, Kudu cows could be seen in the distance, followed by young to average bulls. Birds of a wide variety and color also began showing up. A group of warthogs, consisting of a few females and little ones also showed up. I was excited when I saw a group of 3 gemsbok traveling through the brush. While still far out, the contrasting black and white colors of these animals could be seen causing my heart to race.

The gemsbok were very weary, standing out on the outskirts watching all of the other animals. As each animal came a little closer, they also filtered closer. Eventually, the warthogs came and drank, kudu cows and young bulls did also. As the gemsbok neared, Anthony advised me which one was a shooter.

As they began coming closer, I grabbed my bow and began concentrating on where to place the arrow. At that moment, birds spooked and everything took off. Just like that, they were out of range.

Comment

Eventually, one animal inched closer and one by one, animals filtered back in with each gaining confidence based upon the other's action. We could see the gemsbok through the thick brush. They too, eventually filtered back in. Once again, I grabbed my bow and concentrated on where to shoot.

For the longest time, the one I intended to shoot was obstructed by another. Eventually, the other one moved but now the one I intended to shoot was quartering to me. A game then seemed to ensue in which he would either continue at a bad angle, or be blocked by another animal.

Finally, he turned completely broadside at about 18 yards with nothing between me and him but air. I instantly drew back and prepared to shoot.

Comment

At that exact instance, a younger average kudu bull standing off to the side must have saw or heard me and let out a loud Bark! Everything raced away......just like that, a hunt that had came oh so close, ended so abruptly.
            Attached Files

Comment

However, as we watched everything race away at blazing speed, I now saw a nice Waterbuck bull on the left side of the blind intently staring at the water and not racing away. He watched everything run off, but yet held his position, of course he was still not anywhere close yet, but oh how my heart was now racing again.....just seconds after having it fall to my stomach when everything raced away.
              Attached Files

Comment

The waterbuck held his position forever, just watching the water and all of the surroundings. After some time, he eventually, very slowly began a most cautious approach. He finally came in and drank at a quartering to angle the entire time.
                Attached Files

Comment

This morning's hunt had been way too intense and enjoyable to leave empty handed. As the waterbuck continued to drink, I knew he would be leaving any second. I quizzed my PH on exactly where to shoot at this angle. Overall, he recommended against it, but explained exactly where the arrow would need to be placed. As I drew back, the waterbuck heard me....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Aaaaahhhhhhh! You are killing me!

Comment

As he stared directly towards the blind, I wondered if he would blast away at any second or settle back down and continue drinking. I refused to shoot while he was so alert.

Comment

congrats and still in suspense

Comment

Finally, he put his head back down to drink and the arrow was on its way!
                          Attached Files

Comment

As he ran off the PH and I discussed the shot. It was just a tad lower than where Anthony had advised me.

At that moment, I was extremely nervous....

Prior to coming, I told myself "No low percentage shots" , but I really felt like I could make the shot.

We gave it a little time and called in the tracker.....and I said a few prayers!!!!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by MichaelW; 09-12-2010, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Looks like an excellent shot at that angle to me. I'll be surprised if he went real far.

Comment

We took up the trail, it didn't last long as the arrow had penetrated the heart. My waterbuck was down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X