Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Africa Experience - 10 days, 12 animals, Countless New Friends, Memories for Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After the lion hunt, which of course included the picture taking, celebration, etc., Anthony and I discussed what our next best plan of action was. We had driven to this camp for the sole purpose of hunting the lioness, however I don't think either of us were ready for the long drive back to the Limpopo Province. We elected to stay one additional night and leave out earlier the next day. Rather than have the entire day spent driving, we elected to hunt Springbok before we left as Anthony mentioned the Springbok's of this Kalahari region were generally better looking than those found in the area of the Limpopo Province we would be hunting.

Upon arriving at the blind and entering the rather large and roomy leaf covered hideout, the tracker and PH were speaking rather quickly to each other in native Afrikan with seemingly great concern. Upon entering I became aware they were commenting on the fresh track in the sand that represented a snake had recently been in the blind.

As my PH peered around a little uneasy commenting "this thing could be anywhere in here.....", I would be lying if I didn't say I was a little uneasy for the first part of the hunt until I convinced myself otherwise....
    Attached Files

Comment

During the hunt, we had a total of 3 springbok come in. Of the three, one came into the water, but didn't stay long and offered little to no shot for the majority of the time. Additionally, after my previous less than perfect shooting, I was a little uneasy about letting an arrow fly at a quartering to animal at 30ish yards.
      Attached Files

Comment

Awesome Micheal! I just got through reading it to Justin. Keep it coming.

Comment

As the springbok walked off, I wondered if I should have tried to make it happen.....but ultimately took comfort in not shooting, reminding myself that I had multiple days left.

After no more springboks, we elected to take a few pictures of other animals that came in.
          Attached Files

Comment

AWESOME! I am glued to my seat waiting for the rest.

Congrats,

Bisch

Comment

Congrats on the lion. I would have shot that last animal pictured, whatever it is.

Comment

We eventually exited the blind and returned to camp to load our gear. We loaded our stuff, said our good byes, and headed East for Dries main camp in the Limpopo Province. Again the drive was long and we were tired from the previous two days events.

Along the way, we met Anthony's beautiful wife Natasha and she accompanied us to the main camp that night. She drove Anthony's hunting truck in for us to save us the time in going to pick it up.

We arrived in camp rather late that night, and unfortunately, despite several days of little to no sleep, I once again suffered from a night of very little sleep.

Comment

Your writing is superb. I'm anxiously awaiting the next installment.

Comment

Man this write up is awesome and I will definately stay tuned to see what happens next.

Congrats on the gorgeous lion!

Comment

Great stuff! Keep it comin. Pumpin me up for my trip in June.

Comment

Now I ain't going to be able to sleep waiting for your next writing and pics!

Comment

Good move passing on the quartering to shot. I had to pass on a blesbok that turned suddenly quartering to me on my hunt. I'd rather regret not taking the shot than regret taking a bad shot.

Comment

Backtracking just a tad.....prior to leaving the blind we were hunting springbok in, a group of guineas were feeding and moving about in the distance. Since we were about to leave the blind and head out for the day, I asked my PH if I could shoot. It may seem trivial to go all the way to Africa to shoot a guinea, but these game birds make such a nice target and I wanted to shoot at least one before leaving and this seemed like the perfect time.
                            Attached Files

Comment

One thing is for sure, there is not a shortage of guineas in South Africa!

Comment

YEP!!! Gotta Love It!!!

Boo-yah!!! The lioness is SOLID!!! Well played, very well played!
                                Now I know you are a very brave man as I would not have hunted the Springbok hide as the snakes in sub-Suharan Africa play for keeps!!!
                                I also wanted to thwack a guinea fowl but I could not import it back to the states.......the males are really kewl!
                                (Oh, has it been that long since we hung out or did you shave your head for the trip?)

Comment

Working...
                                X