No announcement yet.

7.62x39 for hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've shot several pigs with my mini 30 in 7.62 x 39 with cheap soft points, works great!
    But I do limit my shots to 100 yds or less
    But a 6.5 Grendel sounds fun too!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      I don’t know why you would. Hunting Ammo selection is very limited at best. It’s not like you would buy it for cheap Ammo for high volume shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      This is spot on. Grendel has some great ammo for it and its cheap, my 20" shilen ar15 shoots 123 eldx hornady 3/4" groups at 100 yards. I really don't think the 7.62 will produce the same results with the very limited ammo on the market.

Comment

Yes. Works great. Have one in AR platform

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

There is currently 2 other threads on this topic. Unless I'm trying out a new gun or bullet I'm exclusively using a 7.62x39 when I know my shots are under 300. I use the wolf military classic 124HP or the performance 125sp. The hornady sst work ok but the cheap stuff does just as good. It's my kid gun and my loaner gun. I can't think of a better kid or wife option. CZ makes a good gun but Howa is my favorite. Ruger American for a truck gun do to the mags and my coveted zytel boat paddle is the crown jewel.

Only issue I have is the only cheap ammo is FMJ with the 6.5 Grendel and if I'm spending that much I'm shooting something better. And I will not nor will I let someone use a 223 especially a new hunter. 7.62x39 in Texas 200 and under is the ticket. It's also my long range trainer. Just by the dang thing.

Comment

I took my buddy boar hunting years ago. He was using his Ruger Ranch Rifle. I told him to shoot straight in the head.

A 300+ boar hog steps out and he put the hammer [emoji375] down on it. 30 yard shot, head hit the ground before it’s gut did, few leg kicks and it was done.

Made scrambled eggs outta its brains.

Was using a NATO round with a wire core too ! That skull forced it to expand just the same ! Was a perfect bullet actually for such a hard surface. I don’t think a hollow point would have penetrated as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mikerosa View Post
              I took my buddy boar hunting years ago. He was using his Ruger Ranch Rifle. I told him to shoot straight in the head.

A 300+ boar hog steps out and he put the hammer [emoji375] down on it. 30 yard shot, head hit the ground before it’s gut did, few leg kicks and it was done.

Made scrambled eggs outta its brains.

Was using a NATO round with a wire core too ! That skull forced it to expand just the same ! Was a perfect bullet actually for such a hard surface. I don’t think a hollow point would have penetrated as well.

FYI NATO does not make a 7.62x39 round.

Comment

I'm sure they do make(contract) it but it's on of those things you will hear about.

Comment

Originally posted by snipermedic View Post
                  I'm sure they do make(contract) it but it's on of those things you will hear about.
                  I don't think 7.62X39 has ever been a NATO round.

Comment

I'd stear away from the carbine and get the regular model. I have one in .223 and its a tack driver. I'm thinking about one in .222 now.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                      FYI NATO does not make a 7.62x39 round.

I really don’t know personally except maybe the 5.56 but I THINK he told me NATO. But why would it have a wire core ?

Who knows or cares frankly. All I can say is when you pop a 300+ pound boar hog that has about 50 pounds of cahonnes and it drops like a dead bug, that’s saying something.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                        I'd stear away from the carbine and get the regular model. I have one in .223 and its a tack driver. I'm thinking about one in .222 now.
                        As in the 527 American instead of the 527 Carbine?

Comment

works great on pigs, never tried on deer

Comment

the little CZ carbine works and shoots good for a 7.62X39. The rifle in my avatar started out as a carbine but after shooting the Grendel in an AR for a while I wanted a bolt action so a CZ 527 carbine became a CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel with a barrel swap out, did a little more work than just the barrel with a good pillar and glass bed job, that little rifle shoots better than I can. For a 7lb rifle loaded and scoped it shoots some tiny groups or course the single set trigger at 8oz helps get those tiny groups.

I did that conversion a couple years before CZ decided to chamber the Grendel in the American. No regrets.

The stock on the CZ for bolt clearance is low at the comb and a good pack like the triad stock bag with a bit of build up foam helps get a really good cheek weld. That has been added since the pic was taken.

As far as Grendel Vs. 7.62X39 which I have killed a few deer and hogs with, I will take the Grendel every time and twice on Sunday for a hunting round. With a 24 inch barrel there are loads that deliver more energy at 400 yards than the 243 and will do it with noticeably less felt recoil. The higher sectional density bullets of the Grendel will penetrate better than the lower SD bullets of the 39 and my examination of hogs and deer after the kill have shown this to be true.

Howa is also chambering their mini action in the Grendel and a barreled action from them in an LSS chassis makes for a sweet rifle that is light weight and it uses an AR buttstock so LOP can easily be adjusted for all sizes.

As I have gotten older I have learned to appreciate light rifles with light recoil. Having taken deer and hogs with over 30 different calibers over the years the Grendel and 357 Marlin 1894 get more hunting time from me than the rest combined.

Comment

I couldn't take it anymore

I found a good deal on a 527 in 6.5 Grendel. Looking forward to a lightweight shooter with next to no recoil.

Now i gota find a scope to compliment it.

Comment

If you want a rail type mount on it look at the DIP Industries rails. So far so good in a couple years of using one.

Comment

Working...
                                X