No announcement yet.

DIY Sausage Smokehouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see the pics in the first post on the thread...can you not? They were removed and then replaced.

Comment

New pics per request of a few guys.....hosting address keeps changing.

Comment

do you have to babysit the fire the whole time or can you set a leave for a while and just add wood or charcoal when needed..... i havent read all the post i probably missed it but what temp do you smoke yours at

Comment

Originally posted by bbs383ci View Post
          do you have to babysit the fire the whole time or can you set a leave for a while and just add wood or charcoal when needed..... i havent read all the post i probably missed it but what temp do you smoke yours at

It is a cold smoke so no temps are kept or is there a need to check it often.. As long as the fire is producing smoke you are good. We only check to place more wet mesquite/oak on coals...

Comment

i have never cold smoked anything but i thought that you had to keep it above 140 in order to keep bacteria from forming in the meat.... again i dont know anything about cold smaoke i guess thats where the cure or salt comes in?

Comment

Originally posted by bbs383ci View Post
              i have never cold smoked anything but i thought that you had to keep it above 140 in order to keep bacteria from forming in the meat.... again i dont know anything about cold smaoke i guess thats where the cure or salt comes in?

You cold smoke in cool/cold temps...we prefer a blue norther where the temps are cold and the humidity is low. You can add cure if you would like as well but it is not necessary in sausage you will cook to temp on say a grill....

We do add cure to our hunter's sticks and get the fire hotter since we eat them without cooking...
              Last edited by Smart; 12-08-2009, 02:40 PM.

Comment

ok i gotcha all your doing is adding smoke flavor not smoking and cooking at the same time

thanks

Comment

Nice thread. Is the bottom open or does it have a floor in it. Sorry I sent you a pm without reading all of your thread. I will have my carpenter start on my new one on Monday. Nothing better than homemade sausage..

Comment

Still showing the dreaded red x Smart can you do it one more time?

Comment

All I get is an Earthlink ad, except the last picture?????

Comment

Did you click on the link in post 62 and scroll?

Comment

Jason, thanks for reposting the picture links. Right click, save as. My buddies and I are going to build ours in February.

Comment

Thanks Smart I see it now.

Comment

Yep, I only see one picture but would like to see the rest.I made a smokehouse out of an old freezer but haven't had very good luck with it yet.Edible but not perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by captainkyle View Post
                                Yep, I only see one picture but would like to see the rest.I made a smokehouse out of an old freezer but haven't had very good luck with it yet.Edible but not perfect.

Did you read the whole thread? See post 62.......

Comment

Working...
                                X