Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Humper View Post
    Kevin,

Watched a show called Wheeler Dealers last night (british) were they bought a karmann ghia in Idaho and shipped it to the UK and refurbished it. They visited a shop in Cali that specialized in parts for the KG's. http://www.karmannghia.com/home.asp

Thought of you as I was watching it.
    Humper - thanks for the link - that site is a source for a lot of my parts! GREAT STUFF.

Comment

Originally posted by expressfish View Post
      heres a pic of the ghia I built for my girlfriend (now wife), this was twenty plus years ago. I used to be a vw freak. I built the same engine your doing for my super beetle. 1641 with lightened 8 dowel flywheel, port and polished heads, 3/4 race cam, dual 36mm delloto carbs, cima 87mm jugs, counter weighted crank ect ect....man I miss those days. I always wanted to built a "hot" 1776. never did
      Expressfish - NICE Ghia...Cali look with the EMPI wheels is always a hit. I can't bite the bullet on a 1776...maybe some day.

Comment

I have been on vacation for several days but it wasn't until yesterday when I was able to give Sue some much needed attention. If you look back a bit, you will see that I mentioned having fits with my welder…come to find out, the inner sleeve / sheath has a kink in it which was / is preventing the wire from feeding at a constant rate. My dad let me borrow his new wire feed and I was able to put the final touches on the support braces – while the welds are ugly and definitely won’t past a dye penetrant test, I think they will hold for what I need them for.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3976.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	24039735

Name:	IMG_3977.JPG
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	24039736

I also succeeded in removing all the bolts that hold the frame / pans to the body. I removed the gear shifter and the steering wheel and column as well. The fiberglass job that the previous owner did made for some choice words. Removing some the fiberglass also revealed what I had already assumed, the pans will have to be cut out and replaced.

Name:	IMG_3978.JPG
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	24039737

Mason and I were able to lift each corner of the body with minimal effort and tomorrow I will enlist the help of a couple of neighbors to completely remove the body from the frame. This is the rolling jig that I made to hold the body. The dimensions are such that I can roll this jig with the body on it over the frame; thus taking up the same amount of garage space during the rebuild…

Name:	IMG_3979.JPG
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	24039738

Stay tuned...

Comment

After Sunday mass and a nice lunch, it was time to get back to Sue. I enlisted a couple of neighbors along with Mason. We positioned the jig right next to the car…

Name:	IMG_3981.JPG
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	24039806

And after tugging and tugging and more tugging, we discovered “someone” left one of the bolts that connects the pan to the body in?! After this lone bolt was removed, the body lifted off with little effort. Even though the 4x4s were a bit warped, the jig worked like a champ.

Name:	IMG_3982.JPG
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	24039807

Name:	IMG_3983.JPG
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	24039808

The frame is now exposed and will require some work – mainly the pans. I will also be able to easily replace the shocks, master cylinder, perform some transmission work and anything else that strikes my fancy.

Name:	IMG_3984.JPG
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	24039809

And here Sue sits – stacked in two pieces…three if you count the engine.

Name:	IMG_3985.JPG
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	24039810

Name:	IMG_3987.JPG
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	24039811

Tomorrow I may take on some welding on the frame – I have quite a few holes that need filling and I foresee the grinder getting a bit of a workout as well. Until next time…

Comment

This is fun to follow along. One of these days I want to restore something, but I don't think I could get a bicycle in my garage right now. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Nice rack!
              Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
              l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
              ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

This is great....waiting for the next installment

Comment

Originally posted by Joey~AP View Post
                  Nice rack!
                  LOL... Stamp of approval, eh?

Comment

And after ya drop the grinder....its usually still motorvatin and will climb up yer leg!

Ive seen mine do it!
                    Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    Yup, the fight's only half over when you let go of it! Reminds me of belt sander races we used to have in shop class.
                    Wimps!

Keep it up KHo!

Comment

This is Greatness, keep the updates coming.

Comment

Thank Higee - progress is VERY slow but progress is progress.

Comment

today it the 1 year anniversary of this project...guna be sweet!

Comment

Chop, chop!
                            Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                            l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                            ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Chop, chop!
                              I know...I know.

Comment

Nice Ghia, hard to find a convertible. Got me a 62 Ragtop w/1776cc.

Comment

Working...
                                X