Food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food plots

I plan on planting some lab lab mix, anyone ever planted this before?

Yup, just planted 2 crops of Tecomate lablab with peas. It's starting to come up nicely. We did a trial run in a pot in our backyard and its overflowing.

I have our's taped off with a biologic string that keeps the deer out until it gets up a little bit. Having trouble uploading the pictures...

Here we go, this is my smaller plot and this was 2 weeks after planting and all that heavy rain we just recently had. I bet its growing like crazy right now. I'll get more pictures of my bigger plot and the stuff we still have growing in the back yard later.
    Last edited by snikrah; 03-26-2012, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by snikrah View Post
      Yup, just planted 2 crops of Tecomate lablab with peas. It's starting to come up nicely. We did a trial run in a pot in our backyard and its overflowing.

I have our's taped off with a biologic string that keeps the deer out until it gets up a little bit. Having trouble uploading the pictures...

Here we go, this is my smaller plot and this was 2 weeks after planting and all that heavy rain we just recently had. I bet its growing like crazy right now. I'll get more pictures of my bigger plot and the stuff we still have growing in the back yard later.
      I think im going to plant that, post up those pics if you can.
      Thanks, Jake

Comment

I'll post some pics tonight of some lab lab that I planted a few years ago. It will do better if you plant a little milo in it so it has something to climb on.

Comment

OK, post all the pics you have

Comment

I can single handedly make it stop raining within a 100 mile radius for 6 months.....just by planting a food plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              I can single handedly make it stop raining within a 100 mile radius for 6 months.....just by planting a food plot.
              We're the opposite, planted those 2 crops/plots and got 6+" in the next few days. I can't wait to see how well it's doing.

The tecomate lablab plus comes with milo in it i believe, however that lab lab has gotten a huge start on the milo and dwarfs any that are growing so far.

I did tecomate pea plus last year that had milo also and it came up great even in that drought (planted around may/june) and the one day it rained good was the day after i planted it. However last year i didn't fence it with that repellant string from biologic and they tore up my peas. We plant with fertilizer and then lightly cover with a drag we made out of chain link fencing. Seeing if i can find a picture of the tecomate pea plus plot i did last year.... thinking about doing a mixture of both next year.

Here's the peas/milo 3 weeks after planting last year:

Last edited by snikrah; 03-26-2012, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Looks great to me.

Comment

Here's the test batch of tecomate lab lab we planted, its like maybe almost 2 weeks?

Comment

Looks like I'm gonna try that. Where did y'all buy the seed. Only place I can find is online.

Comment

Turner Seed Co - Breckenridge, TX
                      Internet, email, or phone. Have it delivered.

Joe

Comment

Turner Seed is Great in Fact they have the A & M rio verde Lablab and last year it was 2.50 a lb. which is a very good price. The thing about labalb is it seems amoust like Oats in that it will grow almost anywhere and is very forgiving to us non-farmers/experts. Good luck

Bholt
                        bhoutdoors.net

Comment

I put in my order the other day for
                          20 lbs spring deer mix
                          20 lbs spring quail/turkey mix
                          20 lbs lablab

Still $2.50 per lb.
                          I'm with you on that. Lablab is easy to grow for us weekend warriers.

Comment

Sorry it took me so long but I had to get them off of my disc. I had the milo planted a little thick but you can see what happens to this stuff when you get a little rain.
                            Last edited by macoop; 11-27-2014, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by snikrah View Post

Has the biologic string kept them out?

Comment

Working...
                              X