Turkey chokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
    I agree with a lot of the comments here. If you are trying to kill turkeys out past 30 yards, you're doing it wrong. Kinda like duck hunting, be where they want to be, good decoys and placement and good calling in small amounts and you'll have them in your lap. People who shoot turkeys with a shotgun at 70 yards are not turkey hunters.....there....I said it....
    LOL, well said. I get tickled when there are choke tube debates. A choke is a piece of machined tubular steel that is threaded on one end and the bore constricted to a certain diameter on the other end.....no real magic to it. Marketing at its best! (with that being said I do own some non-OEM chokes )

Comment

I agree with a lot of the comments here. If you are trying to kill turkeys out past 30 yards, you're doing it wrong. Kinda like duck hunting, be where they want to be, good decoys and placement and good calling in small amounts and you'll have them in your lap. People who shoot turkeys with a shotgun at 70 yards are not turkey hunters.....there....I said it....
      I think it's more of a matter of opinion. I've killed a lot of turkeys. Mostly spot and stalk and some over a call. Calling them in is boring to me honestly. Most of the turkeys I've killed have been within 35 yards but my furthest was at 60 yards. I was almost two hours from home and I decided I wasn't going home empty handed again. If I was filming a hunt I'd call one in and do it that way. I'd rather put the sneak on a group of turkeys and kill one. But I suppose turkey huntin is just like anything else. Everyone has their own way of doing it. Guys that bow hunt think it's cheating to use a shotgun. Guys that call and shoot birds at 30+ yards get called out by the ones that shoot them at 15.

Whether you're bow hunting in a ground blind,calling one in to 10 yards,30 or 50 yards or crawling 100 yards through tall grass to get within range of a strutting tom surrounded by hens.....they're all gonna taste exactly the same. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do it. Just people that are set in their ways.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
        I think it's more of a matter of opinion. I've killed a lot of turkeys. Mostly spot and stalk and some over a call. Calling them in is boring to me honestly. Most of the turkeys I've killed have been within 35 yards but my furthest was at 60 yards. I was almost two hours from home and I decided I wasn't going home empty handed again. If I was filming a hunt I'd call one in and do it that way. I'd rather put the sneak on a group of turkeys and kill one. But I suppose turkey huntin is just like anything else. Everyone has their own way of doing it. Guys that bow hunt think it's cheating to use a shotgun. Guys that call and shoot birds at 30+ yards get called out by the ones that shoot them at 15.

Whether you're bow hunting in a ground blind,calling one in to 10 yards,30 or 50 yards or crawling 100 yards through tall grass to get within range of a strutting tom surrounded by hens.....they're all gonna taste exactly the same. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do it. Just people that are set in their ways.
        You might be the first person that I have ever seen that prefers "sneaking up" on a turkey versus watching Toms coming running to your call/decoys and blow up strutting while drumming and spitting up close and in your face. You know...Where you can feel the drum in your chest and see the head lit up like a light bulb while the po'd Tom attacks your jake or tries to hump your hen until it pees..

That's like comparing jump shooting ducks behind a pond dam to watching birds responding to your call, working your deeks and then cupping up to pitch in through the canopy of flooded trees into range.
        Last edited by Smart; 03-14-2018, 09:01 AM.

Comment

I've been killing turkeys for almost 40 years with a Remington 2&3/4, 1100 modified choke. Killed a few past 40 yards but most were 35 yards or closer. Used regular old high brass #6 for most of them.
          I'll still be using it this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            You might be the first person that I have ever seen that prefers "sneaking up" on a turkey versus watching Toms coming running to your call/decoys and blow up strutting while drumming and spitting up close and in your face. You know...Where you can feel the drum in your chest and see the head lit up like a light bulb while the po'd Tom attacks your jake or tries to hump your hen until it pees..

That's like comparing jump shooting ducks behind a pond dam to watching birds responding to your call, working your deeks and then cupping up to pitch in through the canopy of flooded trees into range.
            Apparently, turkey and duck hunting is all me and Smart agree on.....

Comment

Last yr I killed 1 at 27yds with steel shot #2 with a skeet choke. I will try over 30yds this yr with a skeet choke.

Comment

Turkey chokes

Apparently, turkey and duck hunting is all me and Smart agree on.....

So ..... you must like men over women ? prefer tofu over brisket or steak .... knitting over bowhunting... disc golf over fishing? Love Obama and are a lifelong Democrat?
                Last edited by Smart; 03-15-2018, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bentman View Post
                  Last yr I killed 1 at 27yds with steel shot #2 with a skeet choke. I will try over 30yds this yr with a skeet choke.
                  Why?

Comment

So ..... you must like men over women ? prefer tofu over brisket or steak .... knitting over bowhunting... disc golf over fishing? Love Obama and are a lifelong Democrat?
                    Like I said, we agree on turkeys and ducks....

Comment

Like I said, we agree on turkeys and ducks....

Sorry your party didn't win...

Comment

You can kill em with a skeet choke if you get them where they need to be. Stock full chokes are fine.
                        I have never been a big bird hunter, but I do a little. I have an old Rem. 1100 with a skeet barrel. (I'd prefer a barrel with adjustable chokes.) I have killed several turkeys with it, shooting at their heads within 20 yards. I've also watched turkeys running away into the brush when I've tried to shoot them from 30+ yards.

Comment

Indian Creek choke tubes! enough said

Comment

I upgraded this year to the Primos Jellyhead in my Mossberg 835 Ultimag. Shooting Hevi-Shot's Magnum Blend of #5, #6, and #7s.

Comment

Working...
                            X