Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7MM Remington or 280 Remington ammo?

Hello experts or maybe not?
    I just bought a Remington 700 7MM Remington Express/ 280 Remington.
    Should I buy 7MM Rem. or 280 Rem. ammunition?
    Are they the same or this is a mute point?
    Or is it kinda sorta like the 223 out of a 556x45 dilemma? You can shoot 223 outa a 556x45 or is it vise-versa?
    SORRY I even mentioned the 223 VS 556 I was trying to bring a little humor into the conversation. Like my ol' lady says. "Nobody understands your sense of humor."
    Or am I talkin' out my back side?
    I'll admit it. I am not a firearm aficionado or gun guru by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just another gun guy trying to learn "stuff" from bow hunter so that proves I ain't the sharpest shovel......
    God bless America!
    Semper fi.
    BRJ
    ANY OTHER INPUT WILL BE GREATLY APPECIATED?
    Last edited by texaspacker; 12-05-2017, 03:29 PM.

7MM Remington or 280 Remington ammo?

7mm rem express is same as the .280 rem. You will need to buy .280 rem ammunition.

The 7mm express Remington is just another name for the .280 rem.

On a side note do you know the age of the rifle? I am betting it is up there as I dont think they have stamped 7mm express rem on them in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by westtexducks; 12-05-2017, 02:49 PM.

Comment

yeah...sign me up too. If that gun is all original it would be cool to see it / date it

Comment

Texaspacker see the answer to the post you piggybacked on last night. It is detailed and correct.

.280 Remington is the original and current name for the 7mm Remington Express. They are identical; they are the same thing. 7mm Remington by itself means nothing.

.223 and 5.56x45 are not the same thing. The dimensions are slightly different, and there is no standardized pressure for the 5.56x45. You can shoot .223 ammo in 5.56x45 chambers; you cannot shoot 5.56x45 ammo in .223 chambers. Actually, it will chamber, but you may have a pressure problem, or you may not.

LWD

Comment

Actually, it is a moot point concerning the ammo. You won't find ammo labeled 7mm Rem Express unless it under a shelf or in a closet in somebody's garage. The proper ammo will be .280 Rem., not to be confused with any of the 7mm magnums.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
            yeah...sign me up too. If that gun is all original it would be cool to see it / date it
            I had one that was 95%+. Called Remington and talked with a lady. They were only stamped 7mm Express for 2 years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
              7mm rem express is same as the .280 rem. You will need to buy .280 rem ammunition.

On a side note do you know the age of the rifle? I am betting it is up there as I dont think they have stamped 7mm express rem on them in a long time.

Serial # is B868653 then stamped in/on the barrel 7MM EXP. REM and about 3/4 inch to the right it's stamped 280 REM. The other 700s I've seen on Buds Gun Shop & such have 24-26 inch barrels. This 700 has a 21" barrel plus it was tapped for front & rear iron sights. If the barrel was shorten the holes for the front sight are about 1" from the end of the barrel. Plus if someone did cut the barrel down they did a fantastic job.
              If you have a 700 in 7MM/280 Rem. do you have a fav-O-rite "factory" ammunition that you would recommend to start off with or should I invest in reloading/ loading my own from the get go?
              Last edited by texaspacker; 12-05-2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                Texaspacker see the answer to the post you piggybacked on last night. It is detailed and correct.

.280 Remington is the original and current name for the 7mm Remington Express. They are identical; they are the same thing. 7mm Remington by itself means nothing.

.223 and 5.56x45 are not the same thing. The dimensions are slightly different, and there is no standardized pressure for the 5.56x45. You can shoot .223 ammo in 5.56x45 chambers; you cannot shoot 5.56x45 ammo in .223 chambers. Actually, it will chamber, but you may have a pressure problem, or you may not.

LWD
                Yes sir I knew that I was just screwing around as far as the 223 VS 556 but the 7MM/280 REM dilly I was serious as a heart attack?
                Last edited by texaspacker; 12-05-2017, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
                  Serial # is B868653 then stamped in/on the barrel 7MM EXP. REM and about 3/4 inch to the right it's stamped 280 REM. The other 700s I've seen on Buds Gun Shop & such have 24-26 inch barrels. This 700 has a 21" barrel plus it was tapped for front & rear iron sights.
                  If you have a 700 in 7MM/280 Rem. do you have a fav-O-rite "factory" ammunition that you would recommend to start off with or should I invest in reloading/ loading my own from the get go?
                  I have been shooting a Remington .280 since 1999. After some trials with stock ammo, the best shooting bullet is the Remington 140 grain. If you can load your own, I can only imagine how tight you could get it. I also have a TC Encore in .280. This gun likes the Federal 150 grain bullets the best. I would start with the Remington's first if you are planning to shoot ammo off the shelf. Good luck, Great gun!

Comment

I was goofin on the 223 VS 556 subject.

Originally posted by LWD View Post

LWD
                    I buy my ammunition from sportsmanguide and the sell 7MM & 280 Remington ammo. I was just asking if one might be "gooder" than the other?

Comment

Thank you Blood! I don't know if you may have seen my post but sportsmansguide sells 7MM & 280 Remington ammunition. So I'm sayin to myself "I don't get it, man!?"

Comment

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
                        Serial # is B868653 then stamped in/on the barrel 7MM EXP. REM and about 3/4 inch to the right it's stamped 280 REM.
                        my Rem 700 Historical book with SN's doesn't even list a "B868652" You sure it's not an A68153*** serial number. Pretty sure they were made in 79/80 for < 2 yrs. Around this same timeframe, Remington released a 7mm-06 stamped barrel (pretty rare) and quickly changed the stamping to 280 Remington.

Comment

I'll post up a picture for my much older brother here. The gun came with a leupold vx II 3x9x40 on it. I think he got a really good deal on this set up. I think he needs to gift it to his much younger and handsome brother. If he sends me more pictures I will post em up.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Serial # B6868653 I'll try &amp; find out year it manufactured.

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post

Someone else said they stamped it for two years this way. I think they said 1991?

Comment

Your trippin' out on cream filled centers!

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                              I'll post up a picture for my much older brother here. The gun came with a leupold vx II 3x9x40 on it. I think he got a really good deal on this set up. I think he needs to gift it to his much younger and handsome brother. If he sends me more pictures I will post em up.
                              Yes thanks to my brother and TBH members everywhere for their muchly appreciated super duper expertise and opinions.
                              PS: I'm the looker and the chicks dig me!

Comment

Working...
                              X