Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    Ill tell it soon. Gotta go dig arrowheads now.
    Find something awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom II View Post
      Man if this thread doesn't get you pumped up for the approaching season, NOTHING WILL!!!
      Agreed!!

Each one of these stories is worthy of having a short movie made for it!

Comment

You may be a good hunter and arrowhead hunter, but you are also a great story teller. I've enjoyed. Are all these national forest deer? We back up to the keechi creek wma, and have never laid eyes or have pictures of anything better than about 140. 1500 acres of bottom land must have a few. We have 500 acres and about 400 of it is open pasture. Thoughts/ideas? We just started food plots last year but floods cut that short. Hogs and cows seem to be our biggest obstacle. If it weren't for those I would plant as much corn and forage as I could afford

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
          You may be a good hunter and arrowhead hunter, but you are also a great story teller. I've enjoyed. Are all these national forest deer? We back up to the keechi creek wma, and have never laid eyes or have pictures of anything better than about 140. 1500 acres of bottom land must have a few. We have 500 acres and about 400 of it is open pasture. Thoughts/ideas? We just started food plots last year but floods cut that short. Hogs and cows seem to be our biggest obstacle. If it weren't for those I would plant as much corn and forage as I could afford
          That sounds like a gold mine! I would make a 50 acre sanctuary in the woods. I would fence ground For food plts with hog wire. Every deer I mentioned were either on DCNF or property immediately adjoining it.

Comment

The Impossible Buck

Several years ago, there was a big clearcut in the DCNF. Right in the middle of it was the intersection of two streams and a marshy spot about 5 acres that was too wet for the bulldozer when they pushed it. Now the tree tops in that spot over grew with black berry briars and made an impossible mess. There was a sandy road n one side and every morning there would be tracks from two big bucks headed in. Right after dark there would be tracks crossing headed out.

There was no doubt those two bucks were laid up in there so I started making a plan. Right on the edge was one big postoak that didn't get pushed. I sneaked in there and it was loaded with acorns. It had a bunch of low hanging branches on the thicket side and there was a scrape under every limb. I quietly hung a locon about 30ft high and spent the evening. Just as it was too dark to shot, he came out and started working scrapes under me. As soon as he left I got out with plans to be there at 5am the next morning. Sure enough, just before shooting light, he came back in. The mere I looked straight down at him, the bigger he looked!

That evening, Oct 15, he showed just a bit earlier. He was working a scrape almost directly under me but facing me. No problem, I would just shoot him between the shoulders. As I drew, he heard something and looked straight up at me! Now I literally had to shot between hiss antlers to hit his ribcage. I let fly and heard the smack before he wheeled and left. When I climed down, my arrow was sticking in the ground at a crazy angle abut a foot behing where the deers back legs were. There was bright blood but mostly fat on the arrow and only a couple drops down the trail. The more we looked the bigger that deer was in my mind!

Both sets of tracks continued to cross daily and My BIL and I decided we were going to kill those deer with a rifle. I told Sam to walk around to the back and I would bust it wide open. He HAD to get a shot. Well I was standing in a freshly bulldozed clearcut watching Sam walk to his position. Just as he got to the corner, I saw a buck come out the front side and head straight for me. Sam was directly in the line of fire walking the other direction so I just froze. When the deer got about 40yds from me , he saw me. At this point, he did the LAST thing I would have expected. HE LAID DOWN!!!!! There was an old oak log laying there that couldn't have been more than 18 inches tall and he hit the ground right behind it. I side stepped a few yards, flipped the safety and started walking up on the log. Im talking clean white sand and about 10ft of log was all that was out there.

I was wanting to yell "PULL" when I got 10yds and still couldn't see hair. He finally jumped up and I shot him as soon as his spine cleared the log. I don't think I even looked through the scope. The crazy thing was, he had turned completely around and was headed the opposite direction from when he lay down. Sam Started walking back my way and asked what I shot for. He was flabbergasted to see that buck laying out in the bald open like that. He asked if it was the monster I shot with my bow and I told him it was a nice deer but definitely not the monster I had shot in Oct. When we turned him over, The Brodhead scar was obvious. I had hit him exactly between the shoulders on the tall fins above the spine. The arrow deflected down his back strap and exited the top of his ham. It even cut through a couple of ribs. One month to the day later and he was mostly healed up. Not quite the giant I had been describing. 120ish 6year old 8pt.
            There is a little more to this story as we came back for the other buck. Ill tell it later.
            Last edited by GarGuy; 08-07-2014, 09:50 PM.

Comment

The Impossible Buck

Several years ago, there was a big clearcut in the DCNF. Right in the middle of it was the intersection of two streams and a marshy spot about 5 acres that was too wet for the bulldozer when they pushed it. Now the tree tops in that spot over grew with black berry briars and made an impossible mess. There was a sandy road n one side and every morning there would be tracks from two big bucks headed in. Right after dark there would be tracks crossing headed out.

There was no doubt those two bucks were laid up in there so I started making a plan. Right on the edge was one big postoak that didn't get pushed. I sneaked in there and it was loaded with acorns. It had a bunch of low hanging branches on the thicket side and there was a scrape under every limb. I quietly hung a locon about 30ft high and spent the evening. Just as it was too dark to shot, he came out and started working scrapes under me. As soon as he left I got out with plans to be there at 5am the next morning. Sure enough, just before shooting light, he came back in. The mere I looked straight down at him, the bigger he looked!

That evening, Oct 15, he showed just a bit earlier. He was working a scrape almost directly under me but facing me. No problem, I would just shoot him between the shoulders. As I drew, he heard something and looked straight up at me! Now I literally had to shot between hiss antlers to hit his ribcage. I let fly and heard the smack before he wheeled and left. When I climed down, my arrow was sticking in the ground at a crazy angle abut a foot behing where the deers back legs were. There was bright blood but mostly fat on the arrow and only a couple drops down the trail. The more we looked the bigger that deer was in my mind!

Both sets of tracks continued to cross daily and My BIL and I decided we were going to kill those deer with a rifle. I told Sam to walk around to the back and I would bust it wide open. He HAD to get a shot. Well I was standing in a freshly bulldozed clearcut watching Sam walk to his position. Just as he got to the corner, I saw a buck come out the front side and head straight for me. Sam was directly in the line of fire walking the other direction so I just froze. When the deer got about 40yds from me , he saw me. At this point, he did the LAST thing I would have expected. HE LAID DOWN!!!!! There was an old oak log laying there that couldn't have been more than 18 inches tall and he hit the ground right behind it. I side stepped a few yards, flipped the safety and started walking up on the log. Im talking clean white sand and about 10ft of log was all that was out there.

I was wanting to yell "PULL" when I got 10yds and still couldn't see hair. He finally jumped up and I shot him as soon as his spine cleared the log. I don't think I even looked through the scope. The crazy thing was, he had turned completely around and was headed the opposite direction from when he lay down. Sam Started walking back my way and asked what I shot for. He was flabbergasted to see that buck laying out in the bald open like that. He asked if it was the monster I shot with my bow and I told him it was a nice deer but definitely not the monster I had shot in Oct. When we turned him over, The Brodhead scar was obvious. I had hit him exactly between the shoulders on the tall fins above the spine. The arrow deflected down his back strap and exited the top of his ham. It even cut through a couple of ribs. One month to the day later and he was mostly healed up. Not quite the giant I had been describing. 120ish 6year old 8pt.
              There is a little more to this story as we came back for the other buck. Ill tell it later.

This was my favorite so far.

2014 Thread of the year.

Keep them coming and thanks for sharing.

Comment

As always, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your stories keep em coming!

Comment

The Impossible Buck

I like them all, but I REALLY like this one! Hell, tell it again Steve lol

Comment

Thread makes me want to start hand Corning ASAP.

Comment

Good reading material here.

Appreciate the thread.

Comment

That sounds like a gold mine! I would make a 50 acre sanctuary in the woods. I would fence ground For food plts with hog wire. Every deer I mentioned were either on DCNF or property immediately adjoining it.
                        The entire wma is a sanctuary. We hope to plant enough this year to draw the big deer out. Can't fence it due to floods. It will make your fence disappear

Comment

These are awesome stories. I thank you sir for educating a young/ new east texas hunter. I just moved here a year ago. All I have ever know was west texas hunting. I really do appreciate you spilling knowledge to everyone.

Comment

Impossible Buck continued.

Now that I had killed the smaller of the two, we decided all it would take to kill the other was to totally surround the thicket and send three drivers through it. We took 11 standers and me and two more drivers down there. Sure enough, there were his super fresh tracks going in. WE got everyone in place and started in. About half way(it was only 200yds deep) a deer jumped up within feet of me. I yelled here he comes and started shooting a pistol into the ground. We HAD HIM! As I got closer to the edge, no one had shot and my other two drivers were closing in. I was trying to figure how he got out of there without being shot and was talking to the stander 15yds away when he jumped up again between us. He jumped the creek and I shot three shots into the ground again to make sure he came out. NOTHING!

I took a few steps to my left where he jumped the creek and the dang deer had laid down in a three ft deep little creek! He bolted past me at feet but I wouldn't shoot for safety reasons. Now this thicket was BAD! I was bleeding all over from the briars and my other drivers were finished. We swapped them out for two of the others and regrouped. Same game. I think every driver had contact with that deer but he wouldnt come out. We did it five times and eventually left that sucker in there.

I promise you, if it had been dry enough, I would have set that thicket on fire!

Comment

The impossible buck reminds me of when I hunted between Del Rio and Rock springs. One of our stands was on a high ridge and you could see about 2 miles across a valley that the neighbors day hunted. There were some monster bucks that hung out in that mesquite flat with does and every time the jeep would cruise down the lease roads the bucks would lay down the does would run and the hunters would pop shots at the does. When the jeep left the bucks would get back up and go about their normal routine. Watched them do this for years and never seen anyone kill any of the deer in that flat.

Comment

Missing the easy ones

I had a lock on in a huge white oak for many years(probably still there) and the chain grew into the tree so I couldn't take it down. The tree was in the fence line of a major highway right of way but across the fence was 300 or so acres of bad stuff. I could literally watch trucks zoom by behind me while bucks ate in front of me. The spot was perfect in every way. the fence was so over grown that it couldn't be crossed even by a deer I that spot and the tree leaned across the fence so virtually all the acorns fell in the thicket. In the summer, I did minimal clearing under the tree on the thicket side. Now this spot was magic as I could hand corn under the tree to supplement the acorns. I could easily get in and out because of the screen provided by the fence row and the truck noise covering any sound I made walking in. I had no fear of deer getting down wind either because of the road as a back drop. I arrowed a huge number of deer there but ill get to the story.

I was working overnights and had to be at work at 7pm but the evening was perfect with a fresh Norther blowing so I grabbed my bow, Put my coveralls on over my work clothes and headed out. Early in the afternoon, I saw a deer working in. To my surprise, he was a mature 8pt with both brows missing so I guess he was a six. He came in just like they always doo in their lair..without a care in the World. He walked right under me and started eating corn and acorns at about 6yds from the base of my tree and facing away. I was 25ft high and he was giving me every angle a guy could want. When he came in I stood up and got ready but I saw he was a 6, I sat back down. now I was watching him and started thinking that it was early enough that I could have him dressed before work as he was about 18 inside and clearly mature.

I heard a truck coming and easily drew as it roared past. He was totally relaxed quartering away at 6yds. It doesn't get easier so I dropped the pin to the left side of his spine and let it go. Weird noise and I almost dropped my bow. If it hadn't been for the wrist strap it would have fallen. The deer jumped and then looked back. He stopped behind some branches and just stood there. I stood up and looked but I couldn't see any blood on him. he started to come back to the corn but eventually thought better of it and walked away. I looked down and saw my arrow about 2 feet infront of where his head was. that would have meant I missed my point of aim by at least 6ft at 6 yds!!!!!

I drew my bow several times and it was fine. I got an arrow and shot a leaf on the ground...drilled it. I sat back down and replayed the events. that's when I saw it. big muscadine vine right below my stand with a shiny barkless spot on it. The stand was set up for a standing shot. When I drew I had to lean over and drop the bow way down to shoot that close. The bottom cam must have been right against that vine and when I shot, that is what almost kicked the bow out of my hand. Its bowhunting...I already had him cleaned and on ice!

Comment

Working...
                                X