Your favorite Texas country song?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoggyBottomAg View Post
    That is a great album. I love that acoustic version of "Like It Used to Be". "Tommy Jackson" is not on the Rollercoaster album though, it's on the Like it Used to be album. Regardless all pre-2008 RRB albums were great. I do not really listen to any of their stuff newer than that though...its just not the same
    No it isnt but it is still good was my point and not everbody knows it. Its on Disapear i think and a couple others.

I didnt follow close after kiss me in the dark so i really couldnt tell you... i know this thread has made me want to look into it again

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm really, REALLY GLAD...there were no camera phones at LJT when we used to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ever been to Gruene Hall? Either way, look around at the pictures on the wall iffin when you get back. Might just see a few of "The King" before he had to shave daily.

Originally posted by JBizkit View Post
        I really hate to be so cynical, but George Strait has absolutely nothing to do with Texas Country. Neither does Miranda Lambert or George Jones. Just because the song says the word Texas in it does not mean it is Texas Country. Sorry to sound so rude but music is something I am very passionate about and Nashville polished pop country crap is not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
          Ever been to Gruene Hall? Either way, look around at the pictures on the wall iffin when you get back. Might just see a few of "The King" before he had to shave daily.
          Yes, several times... and it is a VENUE. Not a difenitive spot that makes somthing Texas country... in fact i would say Cheatham stre
          Yes, several times... and it is a VENUE. Not a difenitive spot that makes somthing Texas country... in fact i would say Cheatham street is a better indicator of Texas country.

That said venues do not a genre make...

Straight is nashville as it gets, one of the best from there but a long way from red dirt

Comment

Originally posted by JBizkit View Post
            I really hate to be so cynical, but George Strait has absolutely nothing to do with Texas Country. Neither does Miranda Lambert or George Jones. Just because the song says the word Texas in it does not mean it is Texas Country. Sorry to sound so rude but music is something I am very passionate about and Nashville polished pop country crap is not the same.
            I know I just posted the George song because he was born in Texas, He lives in Texas, and the song is a cliche song about Texas. It's corny as all get out, but it's still fun to hear.

Sorry to bother your cynicism.

Comment

Yes, several times... and it is a VENUE. Not a difenitive spot that makes somthing Texas country... in fact i would say Cheatham street is a better indicator of Texas country.

Straight is nashville as it gets, one of the best from there but a long way from red dirt

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Comment

Originally posted by super_dave View Post
                And backroads

Dreadful selfish crime-rek
                Mariano-rek
                I got the guns-crager
                A pirate looks at 40-crager
                Loving county-Charlie
                Lost and found-rr
                Texas Angel-honey Browne
                Good thing-bleu
                Randall knife-bjs
                Georgia on a fast train-diamond back texas

Just to name a few.

You sir, are a man of fine taste.

Comment

Originally posted by 96ags View Post
                  You sir, are a man of fine taste.

[emoji41]

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
                    Ragweed - Lighthouse Keeper

listen to Scott Copeland sing lighthouse keeper

Comment

Gotcha, I thought we were discussing Texas Country, not Red Dirt. So what would you call the music George was singing in the Hall when he was 19? Just Country Music?

Originally posted by catslayer View Post

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Comment

Really some Great music listed, I like dang near All of them.
                        Will throw one more Texas song out I didn't see listed.

Flatland Boogie by Charlie Robison

Comment

Gotcha, I thought we were discussing Texas Country, not Red Dirt. So what would you call the music George was singing in the Hall when he was 19? Just Country Music?
                          "Texas country" is "Red dirt music", they are synonyms for country type music with a heavy rock and roll influense. Simmilar in many respects to "rockabilly" if you want to date yourself lol, and a cousin to "southern rock". there is a sliding scale lol

Yes Straight is "country music"... he is probably this generations picture in the dictionary of "country music"

Whoever mentioned lighthoyse keeper thats a GREAT one and had forgot about it lol

Comment

OK, I am gonna try to limit it to 2 songs from each of my favorite artists. Moser gets it. The period when the Texas scene exploded.....for the second time.

Gotta throw the three older guys in as well.

Jerry Jeff - Mr Bojangles, Navajo Rug
                            Gary P Nunn - London
                            Ray Wylie - Redneck Mother, Screw You

REK - Feelin Good Again....ugh, just two.......Gringo
                            PG - Whiskey, Take Me Out to the Dancehall
                            Reckless - Crazy Eddies, Vancouver
                            Boland - Comal County Blues, My Baby Loves me When I'm Stoned
                            Ragweed - Boys from Oklahoma, Alabama
                            Cory Morrow - The Preacher, Nashville Blues
                            Roger Creager - Things Look Good Around Here, Having Fun All Wrong
                            Charlie Robison - New Years Day, My Hometown

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                              "Texas country" is "Red dirt music", they are synonyms for country type music with a heavy rock and roll influense. Simmilar in many respects to "rockabilly" if you want to date yourself lol, and a cousin to "southern rock". there is a sliding scale lol

Yes Straight is "country music"... he is probably this generations picture in the dictionary of "country music"

Whoever mentioned lighthoyse keeper thats a GREAT one and had forgot about it lol

Negative. Red Dirt was originally the Oklahoma boys. The Great Divide, Ragweed, Boland.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                The most obvious that hit me right in the liver...

REK-Gringo Honeymoon, CC Bay, Jesse with the Long Hair, Feelin Good, and a dozen others.

Jerry Jeff-Navajo rug, Jaded Lover and a half dozen more.

Pat Green- Dancehall Dreamer, West Tx Holliday, a dozen more..

Guy Clark-All of it...

Boland-Somewhere Down in Tx, probably 8 more.

Max Stalling-....yes, all those.

Corey Morrow-tx time traveling, and Nashville blues.

Reckless, Jack Ingram, Ragweed, RR, Houston Marchman, Owen Temple....I could go on forever....

That's excluding most of the old guys and all of the really new, just to stay in my sweet spot from about '98-'12.

YOU & ME.... We could get along just fine !!!!
                                Great List !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X