Best mattress for back pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    Man its been a whole lotta years since I've heard anybody mention a waterbed. Back in the 70s and 80s it was all the rage...
    Not really for the sleeping part !

Comment

We both like our sleep number. Expensive but helped me, mine was a hip problem.

Comment

Three things for me (chronic back issues and already had one major surgery)

1) Sleep by number bed has helped me (partially because I can adjust my side of bed for me (I seem to have landed on soft) and wife can have her own setting (much firmer)

Saying this...it doesn't fix skeletal issues. My recently flared up and instead of undergoing the knife again (still potential), after physical therapy allowed me to go to work, and somewhat return to normal (I didn't play golf for two years)…

2) Lost 30 lbs (doctor told me to think like 10lbs on stomach is 100lbs on back strain over long haul.
        3) Starting eating cleaner diet - less sugars and carbs for most part. This alone has reduced my inflammation a great deal.

Not fixed, but this has been best solution for me to lead a more productive life.
        Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post

If this bed's a sloshin don't come a knockin'!!

Comment

Originally posted by ren087 View Post
            Zinus mattress.
            Which one?

They have your 10", 12" The Cloud, The Green Tea or your Gel Infused.

Comment

Man its been a whole lotta years since I've heard anybody mention a waterbed. Back in the 70s and 80s it was all the rage...
              Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
              If this bed's a sloshin don't come a knockin'!!

I must admit, in our younger days we did enjoy makin' waves... Now if there's anything goin' on, it's on a different bed in the guest room... That dang waterbed is HARD to "manuver around on"!

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
                Three things for me (chronic back issues and already had one major surgery)

1) Sleep by number bed has helped me (partially because I can adjust my side of bed for me (I seem to have landed on soft) and wife can have her own setting (much firmer)

Saying this...it doesn't fix skeletal issues. My recently flared up and instead of undergoing the knife again (still potential), after physical therapy allowed me to go to work, and somewhat return to normal (I didn't play golf for two years)…

2) Lost 30 lbs (doctor told me to think like 10lbs on stomach is 100lbs on back strain over long haul.
                3) Starting eating cleaner diet - less sugars and carbs for most part. This alone has reduced my inflammation a great deal.

Not fixed, but this has been best solution for me to lead a more productive life.
                I’ve been working on the low to no sugar thing for a couple yrs now, not a lot of carbs either. I’m still a pretty big fella(big boned)lol. Just overall body aches when sleeping. Different spots and different kinds of pain depending on how I sleep that night. Only thing in common is sleeping in the bed.

Comment

I've said it in the last 10 of these guys, but 1. Build or buy a bed with more support. I built one with slats every inch. Even with a crappy mattress it was way better. 2. I like my bear mattress. They're way firmer than all the fluffy stuff nowadays that made my back hurt.

Comment

I had the battle of waking up with lower back pain, after going through 3 mattresses in 5 years my wife bought me one of these pillows and it seems to be doing the trick. So you may be chasing the wrong problem. Lot cheaper to try pillows than mattresses too.
                    Your new sanctuary awaits. Rejuvenate your body and mind with luxurious, research-backed solutions designed in the USA.

Comment

Im short and fat, with a couple degenerated disks. We switched From a traditional spring to one of the bed in a box mattresses. I’m pretty sure it’s a Casper brand. We actually ordered it from Costco. Ended up with a gift card when we bought a new car, so we were only out of pocket for 100 bucks. I figured it was worth a shot to try the memory foam style. I actually like it a lot, I barely ever wake up with my back hurting anymore. My wife doesn’t like it as much, but she deals with it since it makes me feel better. I still stretch, and ride the inversion table regularly to keep everything decompressed. But I can easily say I like the memory foam way better than a coil spring mattress. Once this one goes, we might try a tempurpedic.

Comment

I ordered a Puffy Lux and have never looked back

Comment

Originally posted by fulmer34 View Post
                          I had the battle of waking up with lower back pain, after going through 3 mattresses in 5 years my wife bought me one of these pillows and it seems to be doing the trick. So you may be chasing the wrong problem. Lot cheaper to try pillows than mattresses too.
                          https://sleepsutera.com/
                          Pillows make a huge difference in my sleep. Not sure if they help my back pain or not, because if it’s not right I won’t sleep at all. Then I’m just miserable all around. We bought fancy name brand memory foam pillows that were like 200 bucks each. I absolutely could not sleep on them. Went back to my bamboo pillow from amazon and sleep like a baby. I might have to try one of these when its time for a new pillow.

Comment

It’s expensive but I use an organic talalay latex mattress from plush beds botanical bliss. I had a very expensive sleep number and this is far better.

Comment

I have a Purple mattress. Love it. Don't know if it would be the ticket for you or not, but like a lot of those types of beds it has a money back guarantee. My wife and I went through 2 or 3 similar mattresses before we each found what we liked. We didn't like the same one, so instead of a king we each got different twin XL mattresses and put them together on our king bed frame. Same size as a king that way, and we each got the mattress we liked. You just have to pay attention to mattress thicknesses if you mix and match like that. Might have to put some plywood under a thinner one to level the top with the other mattress if you pick two mattresses of different thicknesses. The ones we picked are only about 1/2" different, so it's a non-issue.

I'll echo Gary's recommendation of losing weight and low carb lifestyle. I'd recommend getting serious with keto. You'll drop weight like crazy if you adopt that as a lifestyle. I started it last December in hopes of just feeling better and being more healthy. I'm 6' and weighed about 218 when I started. I figured I might have about 10 pounds to lose, but losing weight wasn't a big need or priority. This morning I weighed 188 (what I weighed in college - I'm 54 now). I had no idea I could lose that much weight without even trying. I'm doing the same workouts I was doing before keto. Only change has been nutrition. I've leveled out in the upper 180s, so I think I'm through losing weight. Been eating all the meat, low-carb veggies, cheese, and healthy fats (NOT seed oils, but actual healthy fats like what comes attached to meat, olive oil, avocado oil, fish oils, etc.). Also, I'm doing time restricted eating (a form of intermittent fasting). I don't eat breakfast or snacks between meals. Just eat lunch and supper. When you eat fat for fuel instead of carbs for fuel, you don't get hungry every 2 hours. I didn't think there would be any way I could be comfortable only eating lunch and supper, but it is not an issue at all. It's really pretty amazing how much difference it makes when you stop eating lots of carbs.

Like Gary, I hardly ever have any back or joint pain, indigestion, or other inflammation-related stuff like that anymore. Really has been amazing. I have zero desire to ever go back to the standard American diet of low fat high carb food.

Comment

Working...
                              X