Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts

About to put some arrows together for my son. Beman ics Hunters 400, gonna start @ 29”, 100gr insert, 100gr head & a Nocturnal. This puts the arrow at 491gr 16.5% Foc. Shooting out of his Dna @ 48# 26.5” dl. Not the Foc I wanted but I’m gonna start there & see how the fly. Probably gonna run Wac’em 3 blades. Sound like a good setup to y’all???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
      No.

Well thanks there buddy. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
      Mind telling me why & throw a few pointers out there??

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
        Well thanks there buddy. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
        Mind telling me why & throw a few pointers out there??

I’ve worked up setups for hundreds, if not thousands of bowhunters. Long draws, short draws, high poundage, and low poundage. The worst setup is an extremely slow arrow, and that is what you’re building. My wife has a 25” dL, shoots mid 40s poundage, and typically has no issue penetrating whitetails. You can follow the high foc , heavy crowd if you are inclined. I simply don’t agree. My wife’s arrow weighs 290 grains.

Comment

How slow is extremely slow??

Comment

It sounds good to me. I've found higher foc setups cut wind better on lower poundage than "high" speed arrows with same setups.

Comment

I agree with Hoover especially at lower poundage. It doesn't matter if the arrow gets there "fast" if it can't penetrate. I'm fortunate to have a longer draw and high poundage and will still pick a heavy and high FOC everytime. Go on youtube and look up Ranch Fairy, the guy is kinda crazy but he uses lots of data to prove the worth of high FOC and heavy arrows

Comment

I though I was getting pretty good speeds.
                Beman Ics Hunter
                491gr @ 217fps w/ 16.5% Foc
                .47m
                51Ke
                Or
                BluRz
                448gr @ 231fps w/ 17.6% Foc
                .45m
                53Ke

Comment

RF literally just put out this video 2 days ago.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn-R_ci2hRM"]Short Draw Length Solution l Ranch Fairy - YouTube[/ame]

Don't be afraid to tinker. haters gonna hate lol

Comment

If you cut the arrows 3" shorter and used a 125 grain head you would have the same weight and a higher FOC.

Only thing I would change would be using a cut on contact head something like a Magnus Black Hornet or Stingers with bleeders. They will penetrate better than the 3 blade Wac'ems .

Comment

Originally posted by Abu_dude View Post
                      RF literally just put out this video 2 days ago.

Short Draw Length Solution l Ranch Fairy - YouTube

Don't be afraid to tinker. haters gonna hate lol

I’ll check it out

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                        If you cut the arrows 3" shorter and used a 125 grain head you would have the same weight and a higher FOC.

Only thing I would change would be using a cut on contact head something like a Magnus Black Hornet or Stingers with bleeders. They will penetrate better than the 3 blade Wac'ems .

I’ll try this also. I’ve got some 125gr buzzcuts & Solids

Comment

I’ve worked up setups for hundreds, if not thousands of bowhunters. Long draws, short draws, high poundage, and low poundage. The worst setup is an extremely slow arrow, and that is what you’re building. My wife has a 25” dL, shoots mid 40s poundage, and typically has no issue penetrating whitetails. You can follow the high foc , heavy crowd if you are inclined. I simply don’t agree. My wife’s arrow weighs 290 grains.
                          Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
                          I though I was getting pretty good speeds.
                          Beman Ics Hunter
                          491gr @ 217fps w/ 16.5% Foc
                          .47m
                          51Ke
                          Or
                          BluRz
                          448gr @ 231fps w/ 17.6% Foc
                          .45m
                          53Ke

In my opinion, these speeds are extremely slow. No “punch” factor. I’ve used several mediums to try and determine penetration, and my conclusion is that a good flying arrow with some speed is best for the low poundage short draw archer. No matter the bow, a deer is going to react to the shot. Slower arrows will miss more than a faster arrow. There is a middle of the road speed and arrow weight that each individual shooter can get to, that increases their chances of hitting where they aim. Lindy has killed over 40 buck deer, from our backyard, to Kansas, and the only issues she has encountered were from shot placement. I’ve had to clean the deer to retrieve her arrows. You do you, and shoot your numbers, and calculations, but keep in mind, all these numbers don’t kill deer. Shot placement kills deer.

Comment

all these numbers don’t kill deer. Shot placement kills deer.

And because you aren’t perfect, That’s why you build a plan B arrow [emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by Abu_dude View Post
                              And because you aren’t perfect, That’s why you build a plan B arrow [emoji6]

You do know that the bones on a whitetail that will prevent arrow penetration are not in front of the vitals don’t you? Unless you take a stupid shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X