Matagorda Island WMA General Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jomw10 View Post
    I hunted a few years ago. Great place, but a huge storm went through and destroyed my tent. All poles snapped, and water everywhere. We end up sleeping inside the abandon building for the rest of the hunt. One of the hunters decided to stay out all day during the storm, he didn't have much fun on it!.
    I only had one chance at a deer, but I hadn't even loaded the gun yet so no shot. Didn't have another chance!... But others shot nice deer usually 300 yards or so.
    Is that the same hunt where one of the boats sunk at the dock and two others had to be towed?

Comment

Originally posted by jomw10 View Post
      I hunted a few years ago. Great place, but a huge storm went through and destroyed my tent. All poles snapped, and water everywhere. We end up sleeping inside the abandon building for the rest of the hunt. One of the hunters decided to stay out all day during the storm, he didn't have much fun on it!.
      I only had one chance at a deer, but I hadn't even loaded the gun yet so no shot. Didn't have another chance!... But others shot nice deer usually 300 yards or so.
      Definitely need a solid tent out there. We duck hunt out there often and have seen many tents destroyed.

Comment

Will be there middle of December. Save us some deer. We are taking 2 kids hunting

Comment

In years past I havent pur in because of no boat... now that I have a kayak I might have to start putting iij n for this

Comment

Congrats and good luck! Shot the oldest deer I've ever taken there. They aged him at 8.5

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
              Congrats and good luck! Shot the oldest deer I've ever taken there. They aged him at 8.5
              Thanks bud, That’s def an old deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                In years past I havent pur in because of no boat... now that I have a kayak I might have to start putting iij n for this
                You taking your tent, gun, food and deer ice over by kayak?

Comment

Originally posted by 999 View Post
                  You taking your tent, gun, food and deer ice over by kayak?
                  There used to be a guy who'd paddle a canoe over every year for duck hunts, big Italian dog riding up front and all. We watched him paddle out headed home in some rough weather too. Everybody would offer rides and he wasn't having it. He's got a small boat now.
                  Also got a buddy I met after seeing him paddle up to camp at Amistad with a mouflon draped over his kayak. Some of these guys are insane. Lol
                  Last edited by justletmein; 09-19-2020, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                    Will be there middle of December. Save us some deer. We are taking 2 kids hunting
                    We'll be there for the youth hunt as well.

Comment

Matagorda Island Story - never deer hunted there, but when I was a kid my brothers and dad, my Dad's friend and his son camped and fished one night. Dads friends son had a been hooked in gut in rodeo so was still recovering, wrapped at the waist but hobbling. A northern supposed to come in the coming Monday, thought we'd be long gone on Sunday. About 4am I woke up and floundered with my Dad's friend. He told me look at the lightening coming. Gigged a few, went back to bed. Hour later the tent turned into the moon walk with ~ 70 mile + winds according to coast guard. Everyone in the undies trying to hold corners of the tent down.
                      Boat almost drug out into the bay. At daylight helicopters flying over, learned later a tug had been flipped in the gulf. Going back to dock in the and swells that resembled off shore storm. I've been in panhandle blizzards but never been that cold in my life

Moral of this Story - - Never go to Matagorda Island if there's a good northern coming and if there is, I'd give the weatherman 48 hours for error.

Comment

Drawn for 11/30-12/02. Plan to be there with wishful thoughts of decent weather and no mosquitoes.

Comment

Bringing this back up top. Almost time to go island huntin

Comment

Always wondered about this hunt. Give us a full report when your done!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

Esoct25 I will give a full report. Hopefully a successful report!

I’m east bound to POC right now. Let’s go hunting

Comment

Man that’s going to be a crappy boat ride in there. lol. Good luck. It’s a hunt I’ve always wanted to do, but I’m too much of a sissy to camp.

Comment

Working...
                                X