No announcement yet.

Field dressing in other states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a processor about 20 years back. There are some folks who field dressed their deer that I wished they hadn't. It would take a lot of extra time to clean up the mess they made. If you can do it and keep it clean, no problem. I was amazed at the lack quality of care of game meat - some was just gross.

Comment

Even if it were free I would still be embarrassed to show up at a processor with a non field dressed deer.
      This. My deer get gutted in the field, skinned, and hung for processing ASAP.
      We take meat care to an obsessive level ensuring that no hair, excess fat, sinew, etc. make it into our meat.
      Once you learn how to bone out the quarters, neck, and torso and realize how easy it is you may never want to fool with a processor again.

Buy yourself a meat grinder and make your own burger or sausage.
      The process is so easy and it makes the whole act of hunting more meaningful

Comment

I'm actually not a big fan of gutting large game if I don't have to. I'll get it back to camp. Hoist it, skin it, and use the gutless method to quarter it up. Then drop all the rest into a bucket and dump it.

Now if the critter has been gut shot, or is a very small critter, I will gut it before skinning it. Hoisting a gut shot critter is a good way to get all that **** into their front shoulders, etc. Then I skin it, and just throw it in the cooler whole if small.

All that being said... even if I used a processor, I'd gut the darn things myself.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
          Killed a wholleeee lotta deer and haven’t gutted a one.

That being said, it doesn’t go to the processor, either.

Riddle me that??
          You quarter them and leave the guts in .

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ours are gutted, skinned and hosed off well within 30 minutes. They go in the walk in for a day or so and sometimes 3-5 days depending on our schedule. From there they are quartered go on ice for 24-48 hours to drain.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
              Every year one opening weekend some buddies of mine head over to our local deer processing place to see what comes in and it s truly amazing how many animals come in not gutted “ the processor charges $25 extra to gutting “
              That’s it I know some process plants charge a 100 gut fee

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                Ditto....and get the tenderloins which I bet you do as well
                Yes sir.

To hell with processors! Do it at home, best meat you’ll ever have.

Comment

Redacted

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleB20 View Post
                    I was a processor about 20 years back. There are some folks who field dressed their deer that I wished they hadn't. It would take a lot of extra time to clean up the mess they made. If you can do it and keep it clean, no problem. I was amazed at the lack quality of care of game meat - some was just gross.

It really is amazing! I process deer everyday and some people would rather just go throw the meat in the water, roll it around in the dirt and then give it a good grass bath before putting it in the cooler on ice. An then you have the guys that take extra extra care of the meat. We also get in everything from completely quartered to absolutely nothing has been done to the deer.

Also to answer someone else’s comment we never ever mix meat period! However some places do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                      Yep, never gut and the whole thing quartered and in the ice chest within an hour tops.

Told myself I'd never go to a processor after a buddy got bullet fragments in his sausage one time. On an archery killed deer.....

You would be amazed at how many deer come in with old wounds and bullets lodged all in them. It should have been removed but sometimes a bullet will make it all the way through the process unnoticed. Just because that happened to him doesn’t mean it wasn’t his meat. We have also had it happen the other way where it was shot with a gun and a broad head blade still be lodged in the animal. Tough critters no doubt!

Comment

Originally posted by cphillips View Post
                        You would be amazed at how many deer come in with old wounds and bullets lodged all in them. It should have been removed but sometimes a bullet will make it all the way through the process unnoticed. Just because that happened to him doesn’t mean it wasn’t his meat. We have also had it happen the other way where it was shot with a gun and a broad head blade still be lodged in the animal. Tough critters no doubt!

I found a few pellets of bird shot in the doe I shot this year. Public land used for duck hunting also, so I wasn’t too shocked.

Comment

City boys. There is your answer.

I have taken 3 bucks tocthe processor in my life. One being this years 158. I have gotten screwed every time. Got 24 pounds of 100% venison ground meat. They all gank you. How do you think they get all that dried sausage they sell over the counter? I didnt care with this one. The mount is all I care about. I said to leave the straps whole. I got two half straps all trimmed up nice and purty. Lol.

We stopped "field dressing" decades ago. Stopped gutting them a few years ago.....unless its cold, an evening kill, and we let them hang overnight.

It really depends on what the situation calls for.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CWKATTNER View Post
                            I was browsing Facebook just now. Came across a deer processor in North Carolina. They post various pics of customers with their deer. I noticed none of the deer had been field dressed. Most of them already bloated. Is there laws against this in other states?
                            [ATTACH]935394[/ATTACH]
                            Why dont you ask them on the post?

Comment

I don't ever gut my deer.

Comment

BoB, have you ever weighed your boned out meat on a hill country buck? You might be surprised...

Comment

Working...
                                X