Sheet metal price increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
    Exactly this! Everyone wants to buy US and have jobs move here but no one wants to pay the price increase for the wage people make here. Can't have your cake and eat it too folks.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I won't get to build my metal shop until later this year or early next year due to health reasons. It will be a bummer to pay more than I could have when I first started planning it before I got hurt, but I have no issue with paying more if it helps American companies/workers. Same reason I shoot the arrows and broadheads I do. I support American made products when they are available.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
        It will be a bummer to pay more than I could have when I first started planning it before I got hurt, but I have no issue with paying more if it helps American companies/workers. Same reason I shoot the arrows and broadheads I do. I support American made products when they are available.
        Same. Except mine is a metal roof.

Good luck with your health issues.

Comment

80% of steel is already made in the U.S. and number 1 importer of steel is from Canada which isn't subject to the tariff's, just an excuse for steel suppliers to raise their profit margins......

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
            80% of steel is already made in the U.S. and number 1 importer of steel is from Canada which isn't subject to the tariff's, just an excuse for steel suppliers to raise their profit margins......
            Well, I can’t spean to all “steel” but I can tell you the #1 importer is rebar is turkey and by a huge margin. When imports were hit with the tariff, domestic mills raised prices. Free market capitalism. As many have said, if it brings jobs back here and in the end helps the economy well then so be it.
            This coming from someone who the tariffs affect more than most
            Last edited by JLivi1224; 03-18-2018, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
              All you guys saying you will pay more to preserve American jobs, need to realize you are preserving a segment of 140,000 jobs. A large concentration of which are in the 18th congressional district of Pennsylvania, AKA steel country. They just had a very contentious election last week. The votes are still being counted on that one. You are paying more so Trump/the Republicans could have a shot at winning a critical mid-term election that many say will set the tone for the rest of the mid term elections.
              For every steel production job in US, there are 50-100 downstream jobs in the steel consuming industries. Metal Building, 55 gallon drums, construction, oilfield, etc.
              I used the example of Char-broil in another thread. They owned New Braunfels Smoker, a big employer here in Texas. President Bush pulled a similar move in 2002 and placed 30% tariffs on all import steel. Char-broil was facing 30%+ price increase on their materials and at the same time Wal-mart was demanding $3/unit cheaper pricing on their BBQs. So Charbroil moved all their production to China. They can buy local Chinese sheet and wire rod to build their bbqs and then ship them back in containers to the US. Did the tariffs protect those jobs? Or destroy them?
              I feel that this is Trump’s way of getting the world’s attention on trade issues and is the first shot over the bow. The final agreement will likely look much different than the unilateral 25% you see now.
              For now, domestic mills and anyone with inventory on the ground are enjoying an artificial market boom. Get ready for shortages, surging prices and long lead times.

Comment

Rebar from Turkey was hit with anti-dumping and anti-subsidy duties of 21-24% depending on the producing mill last summer. Japanese rebar got a 206% duty in the same anti-dumping action.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                  Exactly this! Everyone wants to buy US and have jobs move here but no one wants to pay the price increase for the wage people make here. Can't have your cake and eat it too folks.
                  Why are wages lower in other places? Maybe that should be the next step. We all know government BS, taxes, frivolous lawsuits, unemployment, etc cause higher wages.

Comment

Originally posted by TransPecos View Post
                    All you guys saying you will pay more to preserve American jobs, need to realize you are preserving a segment of 140,000 jobs. A large concentration of which are in the 18th congressional district of Pennsylvania, AKA steel country. They just had a very contentious election last week. The votes are still being counted on that one. You are paying more so Trump/the Republicans could have a shot at winning a critical mid-term election that many say will set the tone for the rest of the mid term elections.
                    For every steel production job in US, there are 50-100 downstream jobs in the steel consuming industries. Metal Building, 55 gallon drums, construction, oilfield, etc.
                    I used the example of Char-broil in another thread. They owned New Braunfels Smoker, a big employer here in Texas. President Bush pulled a similar move in 2002 and placed 30% tariffs on all import steel. Char-broil was facing 30%+ price increase on their materials and at the same time Wal-mart was demanding $3/unit cheaper pricing on their BBQs. So Charbroil moved all their production to China. They can buy local Chinese sheet and wire rod to build their bbqs and then ship them back in containers to the US. Did the tariffs protect those jobs? Or destroy them?
                    I feel that this is Trump’s way of getting the world’s attention on trade issues and is the first shot over the bow. The final agreement will likely look much different than the unilateral 25% you see now.
                    For now, domestic mills and anyone with inventory on the ground are enjoying an artificial market boom. Get ready for shortages, surging prices and long lead times.

It is definitely that IMO. I too think it’s leverage, while encouraging votes in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by TransPecos View Post
                      Rebar from Turkey was hit with anti-dumping and anti-subsidy duties of 21-24% depending on the producing mill last summer. Japanese rebar got a 206% duty in the same anti-dumping action.

Yet made Little impact on the market as a whole.

Comment

Bush did the same thing in his first administration and it eventually cost me a great job!

My competitors who imported finished products did not feel our pain. We shutdown 3 domestic plants and they moved them to Mexico and China.

If I could only be as wise as these policy makers!

The tariff should be on imported finished metal goods.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostacresranch View Post
                          I’m building a add on to my tractor shed. The materials are already setting in a warehouse. Bought long before any tariff was mentioned. But the prices went up over night. It’s gouging. Plane and simple.

With this train of thought I reckon you think a ‘66 corvette ought to sell for its original sticker price too?

Comment

Another thing to note that many of our domestic steel manufacturers get their raw steel from elsewhere. From what I hear the port of Houston is a mad house fin people trying to get their cargo in.

Comment

Working...
                            X