Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Public Lands - What allows your hunting rights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)

Last edited by Froggy; 02-15-2017, 05:31 PM. Reason: double post

Comment

A lot to read, but I've been trying to do just this for the Sam Houston National forest.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Start shooting me info that you've saved up so I can start adding it to the page. I built a prototype layout for now, but once I see the scope of the data I can reassess how best to display/organize it.

First- we need to post something describing our intentions with the website. Right now, while people might know that it is incomplete, they do not know what to expect when it is finished. Let's fix that

Comment

Guys, Rwkiel has been nice enough to head up building this website, so I am going to be sending him the stuff that a few of you guys had worked on.

If you had something in the works, feel free to send it to him.

Comment

Kirby I will have my list ready Tomorow . Sorry for the delay. My mom past away last week and it slowed everything down for me abit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Up early getting ready for a hunting trip.

The SHNF has its own unique set of problems. Right now there is an active bicycle club and a trails coalition linked in with the Sierra club. They both have already started working with Warren Oja ( Person in charge over SHNF) to make bike and hike trails throughout the SHNF. The bike group had 12 miles of trails put in one of 2 archery only areas of the SHNF. Since there is also the LSHT ( lone Star hiking trail) through that same section, it has reduced the huntable area significantly. The rules of the SHNF state that you must be 50 yards away from these trails. So a 100 yard path for 12 miles is a lot of land. Plus we believe the FS has designated the LSHT as occupied, which means you have to be 150 yards away from it, or a 300 yard piece of land we can no longer hunt.

There are an additional 60+ miles of trails scheduled to be added to the SHNF.
              Slowly but surely the forest is being made so that the hunters can hardly use the forest.

It's public land and we all get to use it. However there is no group to speak up for the hunters. There also seems to be a bias from Warren Oja against the hunters.

Their own regulations states that all recreational users must wear hunter orange. However Warren says only the hunters must wear it. Not everyone else who uses the forest and roams freely in areas where year round firearm hunting is allowed.

I've got to get going now, but you can see from just these couple of examples that we have a long road ahead of us here for the SHNF.

Comment

Originally posted by ktex View Post
                Which lake in dfw do you think will cease hunting?

I have been harassed by home owners on Lake Lewisville. They called the cops. Cops tried to get our attention but we weren't leaving the lake, and they weren't willing to walk through 400 yds of mud to get to us.

They left a note on my truck with their badge number. I called the GW and he called the police and told them to stop harassing hunters in that cove. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if all lake within an hour of DFW all ban hunting eventually.

These people retire, or build out there for peace and quiet with no regard for our rights as public hunters. They don't care. It's pretty much how our great state has handled public hunting throughout history. We suck at it.

Best thing we can do is try to fight it as long as we can. Apathy will be our undoing as sportsmen and women in not only Texas, but this country.

Comment

I am looking forward to seeing this website. We need a united voice in Texas.

Comment

Agreed��

Comment

Name Ideas

PLOT - Public Land Owners of Texas (if you're planning on including non-hunting interests)

PHLOT - Public Hunting Land Owners of Texas (if you're not)

I've recently been mulling over the same idea of creating a nonprofit for this purpose as another nonprofit I was formerly involved with had little to no desire to focus any energy toward public hunting. I've got some ideas on how you could really grow this organization once it gets up and running. When we get to that place, let me know so I can share my ideas and get involved myself.

Pablo

Comment

Man I'm glad to see some folks with some know-how and experience in these matters taking charge of this. It's long over due, and I say this as someone who hunts public land very little.

You need only read what Damian (aka huntinfool) wrote to see that we're getting screwed in the SHNF.

Comment

Fellas, here it is. http://www.keeptexaspublic.com/

Working on the rest of it currently. At this point we have a list of areas, but what we will need in the future is data on the issues facing each area. We're hoping to have some sort of drop-down list to make it easy to know what each area is dealing with, and how we can have a collective way to voice our concerns.

Also, you need to be aware of the "master plan revisions" taking place at Lake Lavon, Lake Whitney, Canyon Lake and Sam Rayburn. http://www.swf.usace.army.mil/About/...-Plan-Updates/

If we can have all of this information up and running, my next step is to go to archery shops within the metroplex and see if they will let us put up fliers or some sort of advertising.

There are almost a dozen archery shops throughout DFW that would likely be interested in this issue considering it affects some of their clientele.

From there it just becomes advertising and getting the word out and figuring which issues to put to the forefront.

Sam Houston National Forest has a ton of hunters. Unfortunately, hunters are the easiest group to solidify until you start talking about taking away our hunting rights. It sounds like this is needs to be a priority issue.
                          Last edited by Kirby86; 02-22-2017, 02:39 PM.

Comment

That opening page looks great!

To establish the organization with funding, and help pay for expenses such as advertising, web-sight, travel, ect, I'd suggest create a set of by-laws and a mission statement. Then filing it with the IRS and opening it as a 501c3, non-profit. Even though it is a "non-profit" per say, the entity would still be able to make some increases per year in holdings per year. It will also help keep funding from intermingling with personal interest/assets. I've had to do this before with a triathlon club I helped in founding in Ft. Worth. Then managed it for a few years. I'm beyond that capacity now. But it would be a great opportunity for some younger persons. And you can always add it to your resume for future job prospects.

Comment

I tried opening that http://www.keeptexaspublic.com/ but got a pop-up that said it was blocked by a security threat.

Comment

Thank you for the link.

I've posted it on the SHNF threads and asked those to get on board.

I opened the SHNF and it opens a box that says leave a comment.

What are you looking for there? If you're looking for problems I can give some, if you're looking for suggestions, I've got some of those too.

Comment

Working...
                                X