Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Draw hunts, what are y'all putting in for and did you draw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applied with my Dad, brother and brother-n-law for Rita Blanca Pronghorn, Matador Mule Deer Gun, Colorado Bend SP, Keechi Creek and Big Lake Bottom.

Not holding my breath as this is like the first or second year to enter the draw on these. The plan is to enter as a group of four for several years until we finally get picked and then have a nice memory maker trip for a Muley or Pronghorn. We'll see.

Good luck fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      I guess you put in for near everything? Just want to hunt and not focusing on trophy hunts? Ever kill anything on them that's decent?
      Just put in for the ones that interest me, or critters I don't normally have the opportunity to hunt. I usually put in for several mule deer hunts, rifle and archery. All the pronghorn hunts. Lots of exotic stuff (including a few doe hunts that include exotics). I only put in for the 'good spots' for deer archery and rifle hunts. Also several turkey hunts.

Mixed results on hunts I was drawn for. Killed a very nice 140" 11 point a few years back. And a darned impressive 7 point that scored 127 (25"+ mainbeames, 20 inches wide, good mass). A few hogs, does, and a javie. Gobs of turkey. Half second away from pulling the trigger on a wart hog, but he didn't cooperate.

All in all, doesn't cost much and all but 1 (Garner) was a fun hunt. Chance to spend time with friends and family. Thinking about it, only 1 or 2 times have I been drawn and not had the 'target' animal in view on the hunt.

Comment

I'm down fro 51 this year haven't drawn a hunt in 8 years of applying!

Comment

I focused on the youth hunts and the areas that had permanent stands. Trying to get my kids on them this year.

Comment

Palo duro exotics, caprock exotics, pronghorn at south libscomb and hemphill, sierra diablo mulie, and scimitar oryx at mason mtn. The only draw i usually put in for is the bighorn sheep in hopes of drawing one day in the future. Figured wth, lets put in for some more that interest me and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
              Just put in for the ones that interest me, or critters I don't normally have the opportunity to hunt. I usually put in for several mule deer hunts, rifle and archery. All the pronghorn hunts. Lots of exotic stuff (including a few doe hunts that include exotics). I only put in for the 'good spots' for deer archery and rifle hunts. Also several turkey hunts.

Mixed results on hunts I was drawn for. Killed a very nice 140" 11 point a few years back. And a darned impressive 7 point that scored 127 (25"+ mainbeames, 20 inches wide, good mass). A few hogs, does, and a javie. Gobs of turkey. Half second away from pulling the trigger on a wart hog, but he didn't cooperate.

All in all, doesn't cost much and all but 1 (Garner) was a fun hunt. Chance to spend time with friends and family. Thinking about it, only 1 or 2 times have I been drawn and not had the 'target' animal in view on the hunt.
              Where'd you shoot the bucks? And where the heck was the wart hog?! What happened at garner?

Comment

I got drawn for NM deer and will concentrate on that, but also put in for Texas, My most points are in exotic and Muleys, I think the rest of my entries are just donations. Going scouting in August in unit 21a.

Comment

Does anybody know if I want to have friends apply with me as a party, do I need to apply for all of us at the same time, or am I able to log back into my application and add people to my party at a later time?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    Where'd you shoot the bucks? And where the heck was the wart hog?! What happened at garner?
                    Bucks were south Texas and Panhandle. Wart hog was down south, Chap to be specific (really the only place as of now that has some). They've done a pretty good job of trying to eradicate them and keeping them from getting established. Garner hunt wasn't necessarily a 'bad' hunt, but it is much more restrictive out there. Details aren't really important, it's their area and their rules. It's just run differently than a compartment hunt, with many more rules, some with validity, some less so. Drawn for the antlerless hunt; didn't see a single whitetail or axis, which wasn't really their fault, but disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by nickstone View Post
                      Does anybody know if I want to have friends apply with me as a party, do I need to apply for all of us at the same time, or am I able to log back into my application and add people to my party at a later time?
                      has to be at the same time

Comment

Thank you

Comment

I've heard that you have very specific "shooting lanes" at Garner. They also have contract guys go in and shoot a lot of the exotics at different times of the year which can really limit the amount/availability and spook the numbers of axis out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                            I've heard that you have very specific "shooting lanes" at Garner. They also have contract guys go in and shoot a lot of the exotics at different times of the year which can really limit the amount/availability and spook the numbers of axis out there.
                            Mostly true. They do have shooting lanes, maybe 90-100 degree field of view, for safety reasons. They also thin the herd with contractors. But, it's only because the public hunters (me included) weren't killing enough to reduce the herd. In the long run, more important to reduce the numbers, than keeping so many that hunters are happy (it is an exotic after all). Plus the contractors only come in after the hunts are over for the year. Like I say, it wasn't necessarily a bad hunt, just substantially different that the freedom you normally get on a compartment hunt.

Comment

I have put in for 15 hunts this year.
                              I donate to the cause...........I have put in for hunts the past 13 years and have been draw one time.

Comment

Will apply for Government Canyon and Matagorda Island. Drew Government Canyon last year and took 2 does. Would love to get drawn for Matagorda

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X