280ai
    X2, but then I'm a 7mm slut.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeConner View Post
      X2, but then I'm a 7mm slut.

Ummm

280AI is 7mm...

Comment

Didn't read the other replies. I really don't see anything to be gained in amongst your current lineup of cals. A thumping .338 or larger or a screaming .22 is the only thing I'd consider.

Comment

300 win rebuild old rifle I used yote hunting, or a solid 338!

Comment

should add, the 9.3x62 is true "bang/flop" round that does minimal meat damage and a handloaders dream. seems to like just about anything you choose to feed it. 250-320gr bullets available and its suitable for anything in north america as well as most anything else on the planet. And suprisingly recoil is not bad at all (my 14 yr old daughter shoots mine from time to time. I think it's the most power versus investment in recoil to be had.

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
              Well, it's settled, at least until I actually pony up the cash and order the barrel.....anything could happen at that point. For now, I've decided on 25-06AI.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
              Did you ever end up doing this build. I am in the same boat as you right now. I have a lefty savage in 270 and I am leaning pretty good on the 25-06AI or 257 Weatherby.

Comment

Originally posted by flyinstroke View Post
                Did you ever end up doing this build. I am in the same boat as you right now. I have a lefty savage in 270 and I am leaning pretty good on the 25-06AI or 257 Weatherby.
                Wow, this is a blast from the past! No, I didn't end up doing that build. I ended up selling or taching that rifle off. I still don't have a .257 caliber. I ended up getting a lathe, and with the help of Stick1 and a few others, figured out how to build my own rifles.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow, this is a blast from the past! No, I didn't end up doing that build. I ended up selling or taching that rifle off. I still don't have a .257 caliber. I ended up getting a lathe, and with the help of Stick1 and a few others, figured out how to build my own rifles.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                  I am doing this build for my kids. I am going to go in a 700 LH for my build. There aren't many after market stock for Savages and it gets even fewer when you are looking for lefty's.

Thanks for the reply

Comment

6.5-06AI is my choice.

Comment

Consider the following:

Savage long action, currently 30/06, but that's irrelevant since bolt heads can be swapped easy.

If you could build any caliber you wanted (that will run in that action) what would it be and why? Easy wildcats included such as AI's, simple neck down or neck up. Also assume you already have a 223 Remington, 243 Winchester, 6.5-300WSM, 7mm Rem Mag, 308 Winchester.

Was thinking about a 25-06AI, 6.5-284 Norma, 6.5-06AI. What other suggestions you guys have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
                      35 Whelen or 338 -06,, of just a long throat 30-06

Comment

7.6 Creedmoor
                        Last edited by toaster; 04-03-2019, 02:52 PM.

Comment

28 Nosler?

Just saw this is a zombie thread!

Comment

400-06 aka 400 whelen

Comment

You have the key slots covered already: 5.56mm, 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, and 7.62mm - the five calibers I think everyone should own at least one of.

You don't have a heavy hitter though; I'm surprised no one has mentioned 300WM. Otherwise a mainstream 6.5 cal like creed to go with your wildcat would be my second choice, because 6.5 is so ideal for hunting in Texas. A .25 caliber like 25-06 or .257WBY could squeeze in between the .243 and the 6.5x300 too.

280AI is basically identical to your 7mm Rem Mag, unless you plan to sell the 7mm I wouldn't consider it. From my pov even a .270 is too similar.

Comment

Originally posted by 1shot View Post
                                270 or 338-06?

I was thinking 338-06 also.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

Working...
                                X