What caliber next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossyoak20 View Post
    does any of these calibers make something more dead that the other caliber?
    No. Some just do it much faster than others.

And what is your goal for the rifle?

Comment

Originally posted by mossyoak20 View Post
      but your talking about loading calibers that will do more than factory rounds/cartridges? i don't reload... i'm not knocking you. please explain further? what are you trying to achieve? please teach the amature
      Okay. Basically, it's because I'm that dude that wants something different. The AI rounds don't kill stuff any deader, but sometimes, like with the 280AI, they can mimic a magnum, minus the recoil, muzzle blast etc, with less powder and barrel wear. Also, I enjoy shooting long range, out to 1000 yards. The added velocity makes that easier and more fun. But really, it's just so I satisfy my desire to be different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

.338 edge!

Comment

25-06AI awesome on deer, ok up to elk. and easy to shoot!

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
            Okay. Basically, it's because I'm that dude that wants something different. The AI rounds don't kill stuff any deader, but sometimes, like with the 280AI, they can mimic a magnum, minus the recoil, muzzle blast etc, with less powder and barrel wear. Also, I enjoy shooting long range, out to 1000 yards. The added velocity makes that easier and more fun. But really, it's just so I satisfy my desire to be different.

thank you for clearing that up. i need to do some google research.

Comment

Well, it's settled, at least until I actually pony up the cash and order the barrel.....anything could happen at that point. For now, I've decided on 25-06AI.

Comment

I'm converting away from this, I just don't care for it. It and the 270, fit some reason, I just don't care for. I guess I'm that weird guy in camp that always has to show up with something you've never seen before, and maybe never heard of.

I'm with you Luke. I just plain don't like the 270 or 30.06.

I'm the guy at camp that people always ask what I brought this time. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  I'm with you Luke. I just plain don't like the 270 or 30.06.

I'm the guy at camp that people always ask what I brought this time. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Me too! Except they all know my 308, Kaitlin's 243 and always the first two guns to go in the truck.

Comment

Consider the following:

Savage long action, currently 30/06, but that's irrelevant since bolt heads can be swapped easy.

If you could build any caliber you wanted (that will run in that action) what would it be and why? Easy wildcats included such as AI's, simple neck down or neck up. Also assume you already have a 223 Remington, 243 Winchester, 6.5-300WSM, 7mm Rem Mag, 308 Winchester.

Was thinking about a 25-06AI, 6.5-284 Norma, 6.5-06AI. What other suggestions you guys have?

doesn't sound like you're too interested in bigger bores, so I got nothing.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not into big bores. Just not my thing.

Comment

New gun

Originally posted by malky102 View Post
                        280ai
                        This.

I had HCR build me one 3 years ago. It has only killed deer 172 plus. (Ok, I got on a Kansas 172 and an invite on a HF place for a 182). Just as much fun was doing some long range shooting at a buddy's range on his lease out to 800 yards. Was totally impressed at the groupings.

Comment

If you want something like a 25-06ai, i will DEFINITELY go with the 6.5mm version to take advantage of GOOD bullets.....

Comment

Originally posted by Willicd76 View Post
                            If you want something like a 25-06ai, i will DEFINITELY go with the 6.5mm version to take advantage of GOOD bullets.....
                            I certainly considered that, BUT, my 6.5-300WSM should be done very soon and it will cover the 6.5mm slot in the collection. On the other hand, that WSM is going to be a heavy beast, so maybe a somewhat lighter weight 6.5 wouldn't be a bad idea.

Comment

A gunsmith buddy of mine does a 6.5x284 necked up to .277 to shoot 170gr bullets. Looking at 2900 fps range in a 28" barrel

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

30-06 makes a simple conversion to 9.3x62mm. You appear to have all the "faster is better" bases covered already. Build something that shoots heavy bullets at moderate speeds.

Comment

Working...
                                X