Electrical question for new house and shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical question for new house and shop

I’m currently building a new house (slab was poured today) and want to hear some suggestions on what I should have the builder do or not do.
    After the house is complete I’m going to have my shop built by a different contractor. Do I need a separate breaker panel to have 220 in the shop? Should I have the builder go ahead and run power underground to where the shop will be? I’m sure the builder will have an answer for this but I wanted to hear some different opinions.

I think its all depends on use and budget. How much electricity do you really need in the shop? Lots of people love to run 200amp panels out to the shop but probably wont use 1/4 of it. I have 60 amps in mine and run a table saw, air compressor, welders, etc without any trouble. You need an idea of how much electricity you will use at a single time. You can have 200amps worth of breakers on a 60 amp box and be fine.

If you are using multiple pieces of big equipment at once, you may consider doing its own meter or something like 200amp service.

Budget is a big consideration in my book. My neighbor put in a separate meter and the electric company charged him $3k to run the power out to the shop.

Comment

My shop has it's own meter. It was that way when I got the place though.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll use a welding machine and everything else you listed but never more than one at a time.

Comment

It kinda depends for me on what I would do.

Is the home builder doing the sod and sprinkler system around home?
          Then I would have him run a two inch pipe out from under all his work so that the next guy would not mess with first guys work.

Hope that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxed Outdoors View Post
            I’ll use a welding machine and everything else you listed but never more than one at a time.
            A good electrical contractor will be able to calculate your service. Once again I would pay home builder have that done so the first electrician build what you need so when you do build shop it’s there.

Comment

Another thing to think about is gas and water. I would consider getting them ran out to the new shop location. Just in case you ever need it.

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                It kinda depends for me on what I would do.

Is the home builder doing the sod and sprinkler system around home?
                Then I would have him run a two inch pipe out from under all his work so that the next guy would not mess with first guys work.

Hope that makes sense.
                Yes they are doing the aerobic system. I’m glad you said that, I forgot about it. And yes that makes sense.

Comment

I have a 200 amp service at the house. I have a 100 amp sub panel in my shop fed from a 90 amp breaker in my main panel at the house. It’s pretty easy to add later. I rented a trencher for a half day and ran conduit over 150’ or so to my shop. Suggest also running water line and wire for cameras, cable, and phone while you’re running power. It can all go in the same trench.
                  Last edited by BigCohiba; 05-02-2018, 07:42 PM.

Comment

If you are only using one piece of equipment at a time. I'd run a subpanel off the house. It'll be cheaper than running its own meter, and you will only have one bill. If you dont use enough electricity on a separate meter, you still have a minimum bill.

Comment

Distance will be a determining factor also. How far is the house and shop apart? 150ft are less you can do it no problem; If it is over 200ft voltage drop will be a problem!

Comment

I have no clue what amp rating the panel in my shop has, but very infrequently, when I kick on the table saw, or planer, which also kicks on the shop-vac dust collector, it trips the breaker. It can be cold, hot, humid, dry, doesn't matter. I reset the breaker and then it's fine until the next time, which could be a month, 6 months, or longer.

Comment

100 amp off house to seperate box in shop, unless you are a full time worker out of your shop this will be more than sufficient

Comment

Working...
                          X