Steel Buildings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steel Buildings

I see all these ads for very affordable steel buildings 24 x 30 and up. Does anyone know how good these buildings really are? I know most of these I see are cheap only because it is delivered in peices and you then assemble. Does anyone know what all it takes to put one of these together and is it very difficult? Would I be better off having someone just build one?
    Any info is great. Please fil me in with any info you may have.
    Regards

My dad bought a 24X24 kit building from Mueller a year or so ago. He put quite a bit of it up by himself, a little bit at a time. I brought a forklift home from work one afternoon and set and bolted all the perlins for him, but that could easily be done by 2 or 3 guys and the appropriate ladders. The hardest part of the whole deal is handling the insulation, while getting the sheet metal situated. But dad and I did the walls on his, and my BIL and I did the roof in 4 hrs with dad on the ground leaning materials up to us.

All in all we were very pleased with the kit (we've built such things before from scratch), and never got the welder out!

I would certainly reccomend Mueller to others.

Comment

steel buildings

I am a doc in dallas, You dont want fall from 12 feet high and break you foot or ankle. We see alot of falls from this height and it causes a lot of down time for the working man. My input would be to hire someone to put it up. We had one put up in Abilen by a man named phillip. He was out of the Coleman area. He used mueller for all his material. The building turned out great. We actually made a cabin and a storage area out of the building. I highly recommend him. If you would like pics of his work let me know. He was the most reasonable priced guy and he did a great job. His # is 325-669-6938. Tell him that Will Arrington told you to call him if you contact him.

Comment

Thank you for the information gentlemen. I am looking to do just what you
        did Will. I plan on enclosing a section for a cabin and reloading room and the rest will be for hay and tractor storage. Did this guy put a concrete foundation down or do you have a dirt floor??

Comment

If you really want to "insulate" the building and by pass the rolled insulation, I would suggest putting the building up, which is not hard if you have the help, especially something safe to get you off the ground, and use the blow in faom insulation. It may be more expensive at the start, but it will pay for itself in the long run. The insulation factor is a lot greater and you will spend less for heating and cooling. A lot of times the difference in pricing from some of the kits to a building put up by a reputable installer is the guage of the metal. Sometimes the kits are a lighter gauge, but that is not necessarily bad. Just my .02.

Comment

steel building

The building we built was 30X40 and 15 feet tall in the center. 20X30 was a living room, kitchen and eating area. 10X30 was 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. 10X30 was a garage. He built it on a concrete slab with a 10X40 porch on the front. He put the roll insulation from Mueller between the sheet metal and the purlings. It provides about a R9 factor. We cool the whole thing down with 1 window unit and a couple of fans in the middle of the summer runs about 75 degrees. THe winter works well with a wood fire place and a couple of small heaters in the room. This has been a dream cabin. We are in the middle of enclosing the inside of the building which I will have this same guy do the same work. Our cabin has 2 windows in front, 2 windows on side and 3 in back. 2 doors one in front and 1 on the side. It has a roll up door for the garage. We are adding insulation to the inside before we put the walls up, but we have used it for the last 2 years as is.

Comment

Thanks for your .02 mudslinger. I appreciate all the info.
              I will have to start with just the basic building package with 28 guage steel.
              I will be insulating in the future but for now I need more of a place for hay and tractor. Although I do have grander plans for it.
              Will it sounds like you have really made it homey. I would love to do something like that out in the mountains.
              Anyway, who are the best suppliers of these steel buildings in Texas? I need something like the 30 x 40 pole barn. I do not really want the air tunnel type. My dad has one and it is nice but I want something a little more conventional. Something that looks like a barn,lol!!
              Will i need to rent a jig lift or forklift to do this?? I will be doing it with my wife and that is it. She is not very big! LOL!
              I think I am convincing myself to have someone else put it up for me.

Comment

insulation

from people that I have talked to that have just metal shops, they highly recommend insulation and a light colored roof. The insulation keeps the Texas temps in check.

Comment

Mine is a Rhino out of Denton. It is a good building but I wont recommend the fella that put mine up 'cause he took way to long. I would highly recommend as much insulation as you can afford. I doubled up and it doesn't take much to heat or cool. Jay Novacek does ads for Metal Mart but I know nothing about them.

Comment

Metal Mart has good prices on building or pole barn kits. They can also put together whatever type building you want. Mueller is also good, but their prices are higher her than Metal Mart. Sutherlands. if you have one close also sell ploe barn kits and their prices seem competitive. Most of the metal we have bought has been from Metal Mart and we have had no problem. Bought a little from Mueller due to color differences and choices.

Comment

Insulate, insulate, insulate! We've got one that is and one that isnt. The one that isn't is like a sauna in the summer time, the new one is actually quite pleaasant with a fan. The worst part about the non insulated one is when it's humid outside, everything inside will be soakin wet and rust in a hurry!

Comment

I was poking around tonight and just saw this thread. Let me get a little nosey...How much can I expect to spend on a 30x40 building on a slab, with someone else building it? One pretty similar to Warrington's?

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                          I was poking around tonight and just saw this thread. Let me get a little nosey...How much can I expect to spend on a 30x40 building on a slab, with someone else building it? One pretty similar to Warrington's?
                          $18k to $21k? I haven't bid one in quite a while, but that should be a pretty good ballpark with the insulation and all the windows.

That price would not include any electrical, plumbing or A/C.

Comment

Big Iron,
                            Does that include the slab?

Comment

Working...
                            X