X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
    Message sent!

Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully can go put a dent in them
    Sent you a pm back. I'll holler at ya tomorrow.

Comment

I don't have thermal or night vision but I can keep your beverages topped off and help with the cleaning for some axis meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have some solar panel led white lights on my feeders, they are a bit skiddish at first. After that they don't seem to mind a bit. They show up great in the white light for my old eyes. Good luck.

Comment

I have a couple of green LED lights that run off AAA batteries. I duct tape them to the feeder and/or a T-post and turn them on in the evening when I get in the stand. They last for over 12 hours. The whole area is lighted up around and under the feeder. When they come in you don't even need a spot light, just put them in the crosshairs. Used it on axis, sika and of course hogs.

Comment

Well wanted to give a recap of how the hunt went. Williams4298 and his buddy joined me on the hunt as they live close to me. So we got settled in the blinds about 3pm for the eve hunt. Williams in one blind and me in another. Pulling in we seen axis so knew they were there. At the time little did we know how bad. At about 4:30 I had a group of 30 headed right for me. They feed at about 400 yds out and for whatever reason they turned and bolted. I threw some lead but no luck. About 5 another group came and settle in at around 300. Close enough. I shot and dropped one and missed the rest due to distance. So I let them know I was low on ammo lol. They seen a lot of whitetail and some axis but not on our wheat. So we joined back up at dark and went to the field I knew the axis Went.
            On the way in the dang cows busted us and as we poked around the corner they were alarmed and spooked. So the marathon began. We walked to cut them off and got to the field and looked across the another field and there was more! So we made our to that field. When we got close enough we realized that there was not a lot of axis there was a TON! 2 different groups of 50+ strong. Each. So at 300’yards we waited and they started to move into woods so I green lighted them and the kiln began! I was hearing the famous BOOM-POPS. At the end of the rounds we recovered 5 Axis bucks. The night just turned into a cleaning night lol. We got all the axis loaded in the truck and headed to camp. It was a GREAT experience and some AWESOME set ups. Them boys could shoot. I was not aware of the sheer number of axis on the wheat but we estimated to have seen close to 200 and still did not check the 2 other fields. To top it off we went next morning and killed some ducks and I won’t mention the rare hooded mergansers we see while sleeping beauty rested from a cold! Lol good times bud and look forward to hunting with ya again. I do have pics and will have my trusty guru post em for me.

Comment

Comment

Awesome. I was just pricing out axis hunts about 30 minutes ago.

Would say it's an good problem to have but I'd bet that farmer hates them more than I hate turkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                  Awesome. I was just pricing out axis hunts about 30 minutes ago.

Would say it's an good problem to have but I'd bet that farmer hates them more than I hate turkeys.
                  Unfortunately this place is great for winter time axis but then most the bucks are antlerless and in spring/Summer when they do they are not near this place. They just use it to eat the wheat. No cover on the place. So getting a big axis buck is difficult but still a blast and good groceries

Comment

Unfortunately this place is great for winter time axis but then most the bucks are antlerless and in spring/Summer when they do they are not near this place. They just use it to eat the wheat. No cover on the place. So getting a big axis buck is difficult but still a blast and good groceries
                    Man i wouldnt even be worried about a buck. Freezer full of axis meat would be unbelievable!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                      Man i wouldnt even be worried about a buck. Freezer full of axis meat would be unbelievable!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                      That and the experience of hunting them with thermals would make it all worthwhile.

Comment

Well wanted to give a recap of how the hunt went. Williams4298 and his buddy joined me on the hunt as they live close to me. So we got settled in the blinds about 3pm for the eve hunt. Williams in one blind and me in another. Pulling in we seen axis so knew they were there. At the time little did we know how bad. At about 4:30 I had a group of 30 headed right for me. They feed at about 400 yds out and for whatever reason they turned and bolted. I threw some lead but no luck. About 5 another group came and settle in at around 300. Close enough. I shot and dropped one and missed the rest due to distance. So I let them know I was low on ammo lol. They seen a lot of whitetail and some axis but not on our wheat. So we joined back up at dark and went to the field I knew the axis Went.
                        On the way in the dang cows busted us and as we poked around the corner they were alarmed and spooked. So the marathon began. We walked to cut them off and got to the field and looked across the another field and there was more! So we made our to that field. When we got close enough we realized that there was not a lot of axis there was a TON! 2 different groups of 50+ strong. Each. So at 300’yards we waited and they started to move into woods so I green lighted them and the kiln began! I was hearing the famous BOOM-POPS. At the end of the rounds we recovered 5 Axis bucks. The night just turned into a cleaning night lol. We got all the axis loaded in the truck and headed to camp. It was a GREAT experience and some AWESOME set ups. Them boys could shoot. I was not aware of the sheer number of axis on the wheat but we estimated to have seen close to 200 and still did not check the 2 other fields. To top it off we went next morning and killed some ducks and I won’t mention the rare hooded mergansers we see while sleeping beauty rested from a cold! Lol good times bud and look forward to hunting with ya again. I do have pics and will have my trusty guru post em for me.
                        It was a dang good time and I appreciate you having us out! Unfortunately I’m still fighting this dang cold. Guys he is not lying about the number of axis that were out there. It was like hunting pigs they were so thick, it was unbelievable! I checked my watch the other morning and that stalk we put on them was about a 2.5 mile stalk lol. Haha it was a canvasback not a hoodie! We will for sure get together for a duck hunt real soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                          That and the experience of hunting them with thermals would make it all worthwhile.
                          It was definitely one of the coolest hunting experiences I have ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                            Out of curiosity is it easy to tell an axis apart from a whitetail with thermal?

Comment

Originally posted by Williams4298 View Post
                              It was a dang good time and I appreciate you having us out! Unfortunately I’m still fighting this dang cold. Guys he is not lying about the number of axis that were out there. It was like hunting pigs they were so thick, it was unbelievable! I checked my watch the other morning and that stalk we put on them was about a 2.5 mile stalk lol. Haha it was a canvasback not a hoodie! We will for sure get together for a duck hunt real soon!
                              Lol I seen some decoys online this morning and seen the canvasback drake and said wait that’s the birds we seen and knew I was wrong ha. Thanks again bud and look forward to hunting with you guys again. Get well.

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
                                Out of curiosity is it easy to tell an axis apart from a whitetail with thermal?
                                It was for us because of the sheer number of them in groups. Also we could see some with new growth horns and a couple full grown. But mainly because of the size of the herds.

Comment

Working...
                                X