No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TWP, I am NOT a western hunter... yet. I spent about 3 months comparing packs and saving money to get my Exo. I use it every day and have used it with heavy loads and a day hunting pack for pigs where my walk in is 1 mile and some change. That's all the experience I have with it. Before that I used a cheap hiking backpack for tucking, which was stupid. Had back problems almost immediately. Thankfully the nicer frame pack solves that issue!

Comment

Not comfortable like the expensive packs but I pack out with an army Alice pack frame. Boots without a doubt are important

Comment

You can’t go wrong with EXO or Kifaru. I’ve Used both duplex and K2. 99% of people won’t see a big difference. If you are really tall(with long torso) you might prefer Kifaru because they offer a 26” frame. I haven’t tried the MR new frames but until they sell packs and frames separately they aren’t an option in my opinion. Other option is Stone glacier.

Dallas Safari club will most likely be the closest place in Texas where you can maybe find all of them to try on.

Boots wise... everyone is different. Just trial and error.

Comment

talented double post
          Last edited by Texans42; 11-10-2017, 04:53 PM. Reason: Double post

Comment

Three sleeps and then I’m gone! Shot great out to 80 this morning with broadheads. I’m kind of pivoting on areas though, going to be hot. Was going to focus on some way off areas that the biologist recommended, but going solo I’m afraid four trips in that weather may cause some spoilage. Going to the dark stuff and find cooler temps in the pines. We’ll see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
              Three sleeps and then I’m gone! Shot great out to 80 this morning with broadheads. I’m kind of pivoting on areas though, going to be hot. Was going to focus on some way off areas that the biologist recommended, but going solo I’m afraid four trips in that weather may cause some spoilage. Going to the dark stuff and find cooler temps in the pines. We’ll see what happens.
              Good luck! Where are you headed that has an archery season this late?

Comment

It's been warmer than it normally is suppose to be right now. I'm seeing anywhere between 20-100 elk a day since Friday. Mostly moving first and last light.
                Got on a bull that is still bugling pretty good, but he's with about 60 cows and other little bulls. He's a 5x6 280"ish middle aged bull. Literally had 50 elk in bow range this am, but he stayed out at 100 yds. Only bull I've heard bugle. Had opps at a few little guys, but have been trying to hold out for something bigger. Water has been key if you can find somewhere that's secluded. I only brought 1 trailcam, wish I had brought more to get down their pattern. Pic is of a smaller bull in the herd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Big boys should be by themselves by now right? Just seeing big herds? Now I’m really messed up!!! First 5x5 gets into range is gonna get a carbon meat seeker sent it’s way.

QUOTE=Chris Martin;12926223]

It's been warmer than it normally is suppose to be right now. I'm seeing anywhere between 20-100 elk a day since Friday. Mostly moving first and last light.
                  Got on a bull that is still bugling pretty good, but he's with about 60 cows and other little bulls. He's a 5x6 280"ish middle aged bull. Literally had 50 elk in bow range this am, but he stayed out at 100 yds. Only bull I've heard bugle. Had opps at a few little guys, but have been trying to hold out for something bigger. Water has been key if you can find somewhere that's secluded. I only brought 1 trailcam, wish I had brought more to get down their pattern. Pic is of a smaller bull in the herd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Comment

Well, I didn't get it done in AZ. Found some big elk, a couple the biggest I've ever seen on the hoof. But the closest I got was 149 yards before the brush and everything got too thick and loud for me to get any closer. Saw a ton of coues deer and got to do a lot of talking to God being solo for a week. Spoke with some locals and scouting and sitting waterholes seems to be the ticket. How awesome is it to be able to prowl around thousands upon thousands of acres of public land hunting elk on your own?!?!?!

Anyway, next year looks good for a WY tag and a Colorado draw tag, so not all hope is lost.

Comment

Well, I didn't get it done in AZ. Found some big elk, a couple the biggest I've ever seen on the hoof. But the closest I got was 149 yards before the brush and everything got too thick and loud for me to get any closer. Saw a ton of coues deer and got to do a lot of talking to God being solo for a week. Spoke with some locals and scouting and sitting waterholes seems to be the ticket. How awesome is it to be able to prowl around thousands upon thousands of acres of public land hunting elk on your own?!?!?!

Anyway, next year looks good for a WY tag and a Colorado draw tag, so not all hope is lost.
                      Sounds like a fun hunt anyway! Killing ain't always the prize.

Comment

Anyone ever Archery Hunted Unit 49 in Colorado? A buddy of mine and I have the points and are considering hunting it this year. We have access to a cabin above Fairplay as well. Thanks Shoot me a PM or email at drthornton@live dot com

Comment

Im starting to do some research for a backpack archery elk hunt next year with a buddy. I've read a good amount of info on this thread but had a question im not sure if i saw the answer to.

I found some overlays for google earth that show elk summer/winter ranges, concentrations, migration patterns etc. but when im looking at this what patterns should I generally plan around for archery elk? Will they still be in their summer ranges during archery season or will they have started to move some towards their winter range areas? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated as we are very early on in the planning process. Havent narrowed down a unit or anything yet but we are thinking its going to wind up being an OTC Colorado Archery tag.

From reading this thread we are also leaning towards a wilderness area so that it is a little easier to get away from the crowds and people with atv's, unless a better option for us comes along.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                            Im starting to do some research for a backpack archery elk hunt next year with a buddy. I've read a good amount of info on this thread but had a question im not sure if i saw the answer to.

I found some overlays for google earth that show elk summer/winter ranges, concentrations, migration patterns etc. but when im looking at this what patterns should I generally plan around for archery elk? Will they still be in their summer ranges during archery season or will they have started to move some towards their winter range areas? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated as we are very early on in the planning process. Havent narrowed down a unit or anything yet but we are thinking its going to wind up being an OTC Colorado Archery tag.

From reading this thread we are also leaning towards a wilderness area so that it is a little easier to get away from the crowds and people with atv's, unless a better option for us comes along.
                            For CO just toss a dart. Don’t over think it. Elk are always where you find them.

10 years ago it use to be deeper was best, hell now it seems the goal is to out hike the elk. Never seen so many people deep in the backcountry.

Comment

Following

Originally posted by traffic View Post
                              This is giong to be one to follow because I have always wanted to go elk hunting and have not been able to get any of my buddies interested. Thanks for all the tips that have come and or coming in the future.
                              I was born and raised in CO and lived most of my life there and it was hard to get anyone to and it's still hard to find buddies to hunt elk with, it hard work tough terrain and the altitude can be tough but it's worth it when you get elk.there is lots of public land to hunt elk on . Research the regs and talk to as many hunters you can and then go! Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                                For CO just toss a dart. Don’t over think it. Elk are always where you find them.

10 years ago it use to be deeper was best, hell now it seems the goal is to out hike the elk. Never seen so many people deep in the backcountry.
                                During archery season the are still in summer range and it the best time if you go the last 10 days of the season. Don't let a lot of people in an area deter you look for fresh sign and follow it the will be hiding from the pressure but once you find that spot hang on it will get exciting

Comment

Working...
                                X