Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by topshot View Post
    Thanks for the informed reply. Its funny how all who have responded say it takes decades of work, or extreme luck to make 6 fig salaries, working ungodly hours, yet previously in the thread folks were sharing about 250-400k salaries were common for 20-30 something year olds who are out buying all sorts of toys...kinda conflicting information; all i know is i will keep my indoor a/c office desk job @ 40hrs a week thanks, work a little on the side and enjoy life with family.
    Those people exist and they fall under both lucky and ungodly hrs but they are not common.

My job is one of those that can do it but it takes lots of experience, luck, and hrs to get there.. Young guys welding can do it also but they put in tons of time to do it. I'm sure there are others as there are always exeptions but just because someone knows a guy like that doesn't mean it's like that for everyone.
    Last edited by bphillips; 08-19-2015, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
      [ATTACH]735165[/ATTACH]

Except they use gas powered welder a and power hammers, so they're outta the question!

Comment

The slide continues. Down below $41 dollars today. Think it's around $40.52 now. Hoping it can't go much lower and starts going back up soon!

Comment

Thanks for the informed reply. Its funny how all who have responded say it takes decades of work, or extreme luck to make 6 fig salaries, working ungodly hours, yet previously in the thread folks were sharing about 250-400k salaries were common for 20-30 something year olds who are out buying all sorts of toys...kinda conflicting information; all i know is i will keep my indoor a/c office desk job @ 40hrs a week thanks, work a little on the side and enjoy life with family.

Congrats and good luck brother! I hope your desk job is forever lasting for you and your family!!

Comment

I'm 31 and in the vast majority it does take a lot of time. When I broke out I was told that if I busted my *** I'd be drilling in 10 years. My driller was at the time, the youngest anyone could remember with that particular company. He was 26. I set a goal for myself to be drilling by the time I was 25. 19 months later I had a drilling job. As far as the mega salaries go, I turned down a directional job for 10 years. If I'd taken that job then, I'd be retired by now.

It seems like a lot of you guys come here to poke sticks at us guys that are willing to bust their ***, spend time away from home, and work in an environment that wants to kill you every day. And you cap it off with, "I'll stick to my blah blah blah job." If that's your reason for coming here, you're in the wrong spot.

No one here is asking for sympathy. This thread was started months ago warning this decline was coming. Now that it's happened it's been a very resourceful tool for guys looking for a job, outlooks on increasing or decreasing prices etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
              I'm 31 and in the vast majority it does take a lot of time. When I broke out I was told that if I busted my *** I'd be drilling in 10 years. My driller was at the time, the youngest anyone could remember with that particular company. He was 26. I set a goal for myself to be drilling by the time I was 25. 19 months later I had a drilling job. As far as the mega salaries go, I turned down a directional job for 10 years. If I'd taken that job then, I'd be retired by now.

It seems like a lot of you guys come here to poke sticks at us guys that are willing to bust their ***, spend time away from home, and work in an environment that wants to kill you every day. And you cap it off with, "I'll stick to my blah blah blah job." If that's your reason for coming here, you're in the wrong spot.

No one here is asking for sympathy. This thread was started months ago warning this decline was coming. Now that it's happened it's been a very resourceful tool for guys looking for a job, outlooks on increasing or decreasing prices etc.
              A couple of y'all do a better job of explaining stuff than I can to people "with out getting thrown in the cooler" who don't know crap about the oil field. Again. I wonder why they open this thread... Makes me have to go take another blood pressure pill, even on my days off. Lol.

Comment

Another example of the patch, I got called out to the Land of Enchantment by my customer, it is a good call and could mean more business. However my youngest has had a surgery on the books for months now for tomorrow morning. Tough sheet, wife gets to deal with it all now and my customer will never know. I chose this deal and freak'n love it, but then again I only work 2 days a year and make $1,000,000s. Ha ha ha

Comment

For the sake of asking, with kid(s) in the picture now, would you jump at that if it was heavily concentrated within an hour of the house?

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
                    For the sake of asking, with kid(s) in the picture now, would you jump at that if it was heavily concentrated within an hour of the house?
                    I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Are you asking if I'd jump at the chance of a directional job now?

Comment

Asking if you'd prefer it over going off to work to be able to spend more time around the kids?

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
                        Asking if you'd prefer it over going off to work to be able to spend more time around the kids?
                        I was different than most. Most guys take the DD job when they first get the offer, then when the wife and kids come along they start exploring other options. I never even considered it until Steph got pregnant. That's when I took it. It was the fastest way I knew of the get my family set up. Obviously I hadn't planned on 6 months later having to live off of my savings, but at least I was able to put enough back to survive... For now lol

Comment

Thanks for making it ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that you did not read my first post. If you are wise you will go back and read all my posts to see why i came here, and why i am done. Please do your part to promote truth to your counterparts out by knowing the whole story.

making an extra 20-30k per year is not worth the extra time and effort (physical and time away from family) that you guys put in. I was taught by my dad that it is far better to make money by using your brain than your body, as your body will wear out faster. I was simply inquiring to verify if the work was as hard as the word on the street led it to appear.

I want you to know that i honor your hard work and effort to get ahead and put money in savings. By no means am i saying your work is less valuable or honorable. I'm simply saying its not for me, and the bit of extra cash is not worth the time away; hence another reason why my wife is a stay at home mom. The extra 40k per year would be great, but not at the expense of my kids being raised by strangers in a daycare system. Time with their mommy is invaluable.
                          Last edited by topshot; 08-19-2015, 10:04 PM. Reason: additional comments

Comment

I was different than most. Most guys take the DD job when they first get the offer, then when the wife and kids come along they start exploring other options. I never even considered it until Steph got pregnant. That's when I took it. It was the fastest way I knew of the get my family set up. Obviously I hadn't planned on 6 months later having to live off of my savings, but at least I was able to put enough back to survive... For now lol
                            I hear ya. Best of luck to you getting back out there.

Comment

Thanks for making it ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that you did not read my first post. If you are wise you will go back and read all my posts to see why i came here, and why i am done. Please do your part to promote truth to your counterparts out by knowing the whole story.

making an extra 20-30k per year is not worth the extra time and effort (physical and time away from family) that you guys put in. I was taught by my dad that it is far better to make money by using your brain than your body, as your body will wear out faster. I was simply inquiring to verify if the work was as hard as the word on the street led it to appear.

I want you to know that i honor your hard work and effort to get ahead and put money in savings. By no means am i saying your work is less valuable or honorable. I'm simply saying its not for me, and the bit of extra cash is not worth the time away; hence another reason why my wife is a stay at home mom. The extra 40k per year would be great, but not at the expense of my kids being raised by strangers in a daycare system. Time with their mommy is invaluable.
                              You are definitely correct the time and effort would not be worth an extra 20-30k.

Yes the work is THAT hard starting out but only until certain positions. A smart man that works hard will be away from those positions before his body is wore out though.

Glad you have found what works best for your family. This is what works best for us and for the same reasons my wife stays home also.

Comment

Topshot I guess you don't know what people were making then when you say that or really what each position does, making between 30-40k month as a experienced DD is not hard...or wasn't before the slow down and there is no manual labor involved

Comment

Working...
                                X